Let’s buddy up for weight loss!

I've been working on creating a healthy gut microbiome the last few weeks and have lost five pounds without weight loss being my goal. My go to smoothie currently is kale, blueberries, avocado, grass-fed whey protein powder, tart cherry juice, a few drops liquid stevia and a splash of organic, pasture raised cream. It is delicious. I take additional Omega 3 fatty acid capsules along with it. Know some people put theirs in the smoothie, but that's beyond my gross factor tolerance level. Why ruin a yummy smoothie! I'm also eating my last solid food of the day around 4pm.

Last edited:
@Keesha You forgot to include the link to the zucchini crust! (LOL - I do that all the time, especially when it comes to email attachments!)

For cheese I use (wait for it) good quality, full fat, real dairy mozzarella. IMHO vegan cheeses available for retail purchase are lower than substandard, especially on pizza. I've tried a bunch of them (daiya included) and have yet to find any that suits my taste. Pizza is one of the very few foods I eat that contains dairy, and I don't eat it very often. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

I don't overload pizzas with cheese. The pictured pies are roughly 15" in diameter have about 5-1/2 oz. of cheese per pie. I weigh the cheese to keep from having too heavy a hand with it. Like most foods, good pizza is about balancing quality ingredients: homemade sauce, good cheese, quality toppings and the right amount of spices.

When making pizza I virtually always do a marathon (that particular day I used 20 doughs, yielding 17 pizzas and probably 15 calzones), the aim being to stock my and my daughter's family's freezer for a while. If I'm spending an hour preheating my oven and pizza stones to 550 degrees, and going through the all the dough, sauce and topping steps, I make it worth my while. Plus I really like making pizza!

I have a DIL who is highly sensitive to dairy, plus a son and DIL who are fairly rigid vegans. When they're here for pizza I make them some non-dairy pies.
Haha. 😂Yes I forgot the link.
Sorry about that. Here it is.
https://www.wholesomeyum.com/zucchini-pizza-crust-recipe-low-carb/
Remember to cook the crust first then add the toppings and cook again. It really doesn’t take that long and is surprisingly good.

Thanks starsong. I’m in full agreement about non dairy cheese. Notice I didn’t say I tried that and it is good. It really isn’t . I LOVE dairy but unfortunately I have a manmade eardrum and it gets infected a lot which leads to horrible sinus infections and while I LOVE dairy, it doesn’t like me. Eating it causes a lot of mucus which seriously affects my physical well being.

I’m sooooo jealous of your pizza making and eating abilities. 😁👍 There’s nothing quite like a good quality well made pizza with fresh ingredients.
Thank goodness I’m having a good turkey dinner in a couple of hours cause I’m literally drooling looking at yours. 🤤

That’s impressive that you do custom cooking for family’s food sensitivities. I’m used to doing that also. It truly takes commitment and dedication.

I've been working on creating a healthy gut microbiome the last few weeks and have lost five pounds without weight loss being my goal. My go to smoothie currently is kale, blueberries, avocado, grass-fed whey protein powder, tart cherry juice, a few drops liquid stevia and a splash of organic, pasture raised cream. It is delicious. I take additional Omega 3 fatty acid capsules along with it. Know some people put theirs in the smoothie, but that's beyond my gross factor. Why ruin a yummy smoothie! I'm also eating my last solid food of the day around 4pm.
Oh I love the smoothie idea. I bought a vita mix just for that very reason but got away from doing them but would like to start back up again.

It’s great to have as a quick healthy meal substitute especially before a long walk or exercising.

Love the avocado and tart cherry 🍒 idea. I’ve got spinach at the moment and will replace the splash of cream with a splash of coconut milk. I take krill oil separately and wouldn’t dream of spoiling a delicious smoothie with oils , no matter how healthy they are.

Thanks the great idea and inspiration. It’s just what a needed and just at the right time too. 👍

Last edited:
Try using the “military diet.” I know Troopers that went on it prior to their yearly physical and lost anywhere from 8-12 pounds in one week. Pretty drastic, but they made weight and that’s what mattered.
I’m sorry 911 but that’s too tough for me LOL! Maybe that’s why I never went into the Marines.

That’s impressive that you do custom cooking for family’s food sensitivities. I’m used to doing that also. It truly takes commitment and dedication.
Not at all. Truly, isn't it astonishing when people don't do this? Other women sometimes gave me crap for customizing meals for my kids during their pickier ages and stages. One really didn't like onions - still doesn't. Instead of forcing him to pick out the bits of diced onion at the table, when I made meatballs (mass quantities that I'd freeze), before adding onions I'd pull out a sizeable portion of the mixture and hold it aside so he could fully enjoy his dinner, too. Another had trouble with the texture of shrimp but loved my scampi sauce. I always made extra sauce so he'd have plenty to pour over his pasta. (If you came to my house I'd make non-dairy pizza for you!)

My response to people who'd insist I was spoiling my kids, or that their family ate what was put in front of them, or they weren't short order cooks who would make different versions of a meal:
You say that you love your children so much that you'd throw yourself in front of an oncoming bus, saving their lives while sacrificing your own, but you won't make meatballs without onions for one of them? Really?
That always stopped them in their tracks.

My pizza is very good if I do say so myself. Then again, it should be what with over 20 years of steady experimenting, honing my recipe, and improving my skills!

...will replace the splash of cream with a splash of coconut milk.

Thanks the great idea and inspiration. It’s just what a needed and just at the right time too. 👍

You're welcome! :) :) :)

I use organic dairy from grass fed cows as a natural source of conjugated linoleic fatty acids (CLA). They're anti-inflammatory and some studies show they promote weight loss. Organic Valley is the best source around here. Love their butter, cream and cream cheese. I make yogurt using their lactose free whole milk and it's delicious ...so rich that a little bit satisfies. The fatty acid composition of grass-fed vs grain-fed animals is totally different. I don't use a ton of the high fat dairy, but I do it specifically to get their good fatty acids.

Oh--and buy all my smoothie fruits and veggies frozen for convenience and good nutrient value compared to produce that's been shipped around and sitting for days. I just learned of an organic blueberry farm near here and plan to stock up and freeze fresh from the fields next year.

Not at all. Truly, isn't it astonishing when people don't do this?

Let me rephrase that then. It IS a BIG commitment to do for family members especially when I go all out for them and then when it’s their turn to return the favour, they bail.

For 30 years now we have making gluten free foods since there are two celiacs in the family. Most gluten free foods contain rice flour which one extended family member is allergic to so we WE go out of our way to make regular food just for this one person.

I’ll give you an example.

Holiday Turkey dinners
WE ALWAYS DID THEM!

Stuffing is gluten free
Gravy is gluten free
Cheese sauce gluten free
Dessert is gluten free

Sooo the above things need to be individually made for this particular person and I’ve done just that.

The one time everyone was counting on this one person to return the favour and make the same turkey dinner ONCE with all the trimmings including gluten free stuffing, gravy , cheese sauce and dessert the person bailed.

All we got was previously frozen turkey and a can of chickpeas. Seriously. 😳

So perhaps it takes dedication and commitment to make specialty items for family members who AREN’T your kids. 🤭🤣

Last edited:
Let me rephrase that then. It IS a BIG commitment to so for family members especially when I go all out for them and then when it’s their turn the favour, then bail.

For 30 years now we have making gluten free foods since there are two celiacs in the family. Most gluten free foods contain rice flour which one extended family member is allergic to so we WE go out of our way to make regular food just for this one person.

I’ll give you an example.

Holiday Turkey dinners
WE ALWAYS DID THEM!

Stuffing is gluten free
Gravy is gluten free
Cheese sauce gluten free
Dessert is gluten free

Sooo the above things need to be individually made for this particular person and I’ve done just that.

The one time everyone was counting on this one person to return the favour and make the same turkey dinner ONCE with all the trimmings including gluten free stuffing, gravy , cheese sauce and dessert the person bailed.

All we got was previously frozen turkey and a can of chickpeas. Seriously. 😳

So perhaps it takes dedication and commitment to make specialty items for family members who AREN’T your kids. 🤭🤣

Oh, wow. My mom, nephew and have Celiac Disease. Can't imagine someone showing such a lack of appreciation for all you've done.

You're welcome! :) :) :)

I use organic dairy from grass fed cows as a natural source of conjugated linoleic fatty acids (CLA). They're anti-inflammatory and some studies show they promote weight loss. Organic Valley is the best source around here. Love their butter, cream and cream cheese. I make yogurt using their lactose free whole milk and it's delicious ...so rich that a little bit satisfies. The fatty acid composition of grass-fed vs grain-fed animals is totally different. I don't use a ton of the high fat dairy, but I do it specifically to get their good fatty acids.

Oh--and buy all my smoothie fruits and veggies frozen for convenience and good nutrient value compared to produce that's been shipped around and sitting for days. I just learned of an organic blueberry farm near here and plan to stock up and freeze fresh from the fields next year.
Anti inflammatory dairy products???
You’re kidding???😮

Oh YOU are my kind of girl. ❤️
I will keep my eyes open for this particular brand cause I truly miss dairy when I am off it. I feel better physically but my palate truly appreciates dairy of some sort and yes grass fed and grain fed are completely different. Grain fed cows are usually fed antibiotics which eventually get into our systems as well.

This is interesting and worth investigating.
Thanks sooo much Annie.

Awesome info. 🥰

@Keesha - Boo!!! to your unkind relatives who don't take others' dietary considerations into account. What uncool, ungracious hosts.

I'm sorry that they treated you and other family members so poorly.

@AnnieA - do you know if these dairy products are good for people who get IBS type reactions to cow's milk based foods?

Not always. Most people are lactose intolerant but some people are actually dairy intolerant. Quite a few actually.

Ghee can easily be made from butter.

Some can't tolerate the casein in dairy. Problem is, it's an additive in so many other things including some soy cheeses ...go figure:confused:. I did casein free for 18 months after my Celiac diagnosis to try to speed gut healing. Gluten free is a breeze compared to casein free.

Some can't tolerate the casein in dairy. Problem is, it's an additive in so many other things including some soy cheeses ...go figure:confused:. I did casein free for 18 months after my Celiac diagnosis to try to speed gut healing. Gluten free is a breeze compared to casein free.
That’s the other word I was thinking of. Yes indeed but I didn’t realize it’s added in so many things.
Thank you. Another reason to cook everything from scratch. Are you celiac also?
I thought it was just your mom and nephew.
Do you make your own products?

That’s the other word I was thinking of. Yes indeed but I didn’t realize it’s added in so many things.
Thank you. Another reason to cook everything from scratch. Are you celiac also?
I thought it was just your mom and nephew.
Do you make your own products?

My nephew and I definitely have Celiac Disease. Mom never had GI symptoms but is completely gf because gluten does make her tired. She may have 'silent Celiac' as far as GI stuff goes, or is maybe just gluten intolerant. Celiac comes from her side of the family. Her dad was never diagnosed, but had GI symptoms all his life and cause of death was intestinal lymphoma which is 7x higher in Celiac patients who don't adhere strictly to a gf diet. Of course no one diagnosed Celiac Disease back then until patients got to the point they were wasting away.

oops edit -- Mom and I both cook a lot of gluten free from scratch, but do have some favorite store bought products

Last edited:
My nephew and I definitely have Celiac Disease. Mom never had GI symptoms but is completely gf because gluten does make her tired. She may have 'silent Celiac' as far as GI stuff goes, or is maybe just gluten intolerant. Celiac comes from her side of the family. Her dad was never diagnosed, but had GI symptoms all his life and cause of death was intestinal lymphoma. Of course no one diagnosed Celiac Disease back then until patients got to the point they were wasting away.

oops edit -- Mom and I both cook a lot of gluten free from scratch, but do have some favorite store bought products
It does appear to have a genetic factor like most illnesses. They didn’t check for this type of thing years ago. It wasn’t until I was diagnosed that I encouraged my mom to get checked out since we shared so many symptoms.

I usually cook from scratch also and have my favourite products but gluten free has come a long way. Decades ago trying to find good tasting gf products was next to impossible. I think that’s why so many good cook books came out for it.

Anyway thanks for the interesting chat.

Last edited:
Today I stuck with my diet by planning on eating a turkey dinner but what I had instead was a spinach and mushroom salad with turkey , red pepper & lime vinegarette dressing.

My bike ride was 4.1 kilometres and I did my yoga

Tomorrow I’ll need to get up early to get my walk and yoga in since I have a busy day but I will do it and log in mainly to offer support to my weight loss buddy since I said I would.

Here’s my spinach and turkey salad.
It was actually really good. ☺️

5345D2AF-9F94-4E17-8DB7-0F7144CD6D9A.jpeg

For that matter, 911, we could always try the colonoscopy diet. Plenty of clear liquids in and it seems even more out. Do that for a week - that'd be sure to do the trick. :sick:

:D:D:D

Gee, I am on that now. Have my colonoscopy tomorrow (Monday). But actually, doing the liquids, without the laxatives probably would be OK for a day at a time. So long as the liquids bring some nourishment, like broth, or unsweetened Jello. Maybe a Gatorade or something.

I need to keep losing weight. I put some on after Rick died, with the stress eating, and less walking. So, if I can jump onto this bandwagon, I would like to. After my above mentioned colonoscopy diet ends tomorrow

I need to keep losing weight. I put some on after Rick died, with the stress eating, and less walking. So, if I can jump onto this bandwagon, I would like to. After my above mentioned colonoscopy diet ends tomorrow
Oh please join us Marie. Stress does strange things to our minds & bodies. We’d love to have you on board. For sure. 🥰

Great. I am in. I am an odd one who likes salads, but am not a fan of lettuce or other leafy greens. I make mine by mixing together cucumber, tomatoes, and chick peas. Sometimes I will break up some sliced turkey if I have some. An indulgent addition is some bacon bits and a broken up hard boiled egg

Great. I am in. I am an odd one who likes salads, but am not a fan of lettuce or other leafy greens. I make mine by mixing together cucumber, tomatoes, and chick peas. Sometimes I will break up some sliced turkey if I have some. An indulgent addition is some bacon bits and a broken up hard boiled egg
That all sounds good to me. It’s fun mixing stuff up and getting creative with food. After all, variety is the spice of life. Plus I find that eating good quality proteins with a variety of fresh vegetables works great for dropping weight. Another chick pea lover. 😍

@Keesha I love chick peas. Our Grocery store here, Wegmans has a store made citrus chick pea salad that is great. I buy a container often. I have to try and deconstruct it and make it on my own. But, then again...the container lasts me several days

edit to add..found the recipe Citrus chick pea salad
Oh thank you @Marie. That does sound lovely and I even have blue agave too.🥳 lol

@Keesha I love chick peas. Our Grocery store here, Wegmans has a store made citrus chick pea salad that is great. I buy a container often. I have to try and deconstruct it and make it on my own. But, then again...the container lasts me several days

edit to add..found the recipe Citrus chick pea salad
Oh thank you @Marie. That does sound lovely and I even have blue agave too.🥳 lol

Wow! That does look delish! I'm also a chick pea lover!

Back