Let’s swing back to the 50s.

trade, rgp and applecruncher, don't seem to have a problem with the reality of the way things were.

Trade "I got my mind right boss."

Dodgers: Walter Alston put Sandy A. in left field as he was a lefthander, Yogi Berra a pull hitter, pulled ball to right field. turn out Sandy saved game.
Sea Hunt, after 3 programs you were never going to see an thing new, but in it's day it was okay

Last edited:
I was born in January 1950. My home island was recovering from the German occupation during WW2, apparently 13 Germans lived in our house. We had a large attic, which hadn't been emptied for about 100 years, my sisters and I were forbidden to go in there, so naturally that was an open invitation to me. I found a green pineapple shaped object and took it outside. I kicked it around on our lawn like a football, when my parents discovered what I was doing I got the thrashing of my life, it was a live grenade!o_O

Attachments

• My childhood home.JPG
    My childhood home.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 6
@fuzzybuddy

Yes, a few members in this thread want to sweep all that under the rug because racism didn't negatively affect THEM and their nice, happy lives. They'll most likely ask for your posts and mine to be deleted. 🙄

In the 50s, I wasn't aware of the bias against whole demographic groups. My parents undoubtedly were but were more concerned with making ends meet and advancing from "upper lower class" (dad's description of our circumstance.)

I was focused on their directive to do well in school and to have fun.

Now I am aware of the bias that existed. I mean, we've been reminded of it ad nauseum from 1961 or so.

The Kwik Chek in Clearwater Florida where we used to grocery shop had a set up similar to this one. Except that the "colored" fountain was set lower on the wall. I remember that because I was just a little kid at the time and I once got a drink from the colored one because it was lower and I could reach it better. But I got balled out by my mother for doing that. I also remember that the water from the "colored" fountain was warm. Not nice and cold like the water from the "white" one.

View attachment 66864

Yeah, not everything about the 50's was great. At least not for some.

View attachment 66865

View attachment 66866
whats a white school ....?

1101501127_400.jpg

WOW! That's a shock. First time I saw gas lines was late 1973 with that OPEC crisis. At least that's the way it was in Baltimore. Lasted into 1974 and then eased off. Came back again in 1979 but nothing since then.

Gas wars are not the same thing as a gas line, like we had in the 1970’s. Those were because of a supposed shortage of gas, and it was almost like being rationed (which happened during the war years).
A gas war was when several stations started lowering their gas prices to get the most business. Every day, they would check to see what the competition was selling gas for, and then drop their price by a penny.

Gas was actually only around 27 cents a gallon back then,anyway; but with the gas wars, eventually some stations were selling gas for around 16 cents a gallon.
No one would have ever believed that gas would some day cost almost $1.00 a gallon if someone had told us that.
E262EF32-60CF-4675-A7AB-CC6030A7151D.jpeg

Gas wars are not the same thing as a gas line, like we had in the 1970’s. Those were because of a supposed shortage of gas, and it was almost like being rationed (which happened during the war years).
A gas war was when several stations started lowering their gas prices to get the most business.

Oh OK, I see the distinction. I was around in the 50s but for some reason don't remember gas wars in my city.

Started driving in 1963.

Back