Let’s swing back to the 50s.

Soda Fountain/Malt Shop

iu

iu

For some reason, I always found Howdy Doody creepy,
I was scared of marionettes, into my teens. The reason:

One night, on TV, I watched a scary show that involved marionettes being used by a serial killer, who placed them in homes of people he planned to kill. After the killing, he would reenact it, using the marionettes. This show scared me so much that I couldn't watch its conclusion, even though I was up way past my bedtime, watching" adult TV, " with my mom and sister

I was 14 when the 50s turned into the the 1960s. There were a lot of things about the 1950s that bring back warm memories. We tend to remember the good times and downplay the bad. The 50s had both. If you were a kid, like me, it was school and the kids on your street that mattered to you. Life seemed good, with "new and improved" the motto of the 50s. But with all the nastalgia of the 50s, I do remember seeing on TV police with big dogs attacking Blacks. I didn't understand why.

Well apple....When we were in High School around 1961 0r 1964....Nothing was swept under the rug...I don't know where you live but our
School had diversity...I never had trouble with Black Girls or Black Boys....In fact, my very good friend was Black ....

The only time it got bad when some would come from "Other Towns" and try to mess with our town...My boyfriend at the time (he is my husband now) worked in a Jewlery store after school.... The store was in mostly the Black area....When the wrong crowd came to town
The Black Women were scared....They didn't want what was going on with the disrupters ruining our town....One day they hid in the Jewlery
store where my husband worked...He locked the doors...The disrupters were throwing stones at the store.... Cops took some to jail....
But most of them scattered …..That was the only disruption in our town in the 60's....

I don't know where you lived in the USA....But our High School had Black Teacher's and White Teacher's....I don't know if anything went on after
I graduated....The same High School is still standing.... is very diversified....My cousin's daughter is a teacher in the High School(She is White)
She is still standing...…...

@fuzzybuddy

Yes, a few members in this thread want to sweep all that under the rug because racism didn't negatively affect THEM and their nice, happy lives. They'll most likely ask for your posts and mine to be deleted. 🙄

Would you ban all pleasant memories because there were also bad things going on at the time? That seems a bit harsh. We all know that people of color were discriminated against then, and to some extent still are. I don't see anyone trying to sweep it under the carpet, let alone trying to get your posts deleted.

Racism is evil and we should fight it. But, there's nothing we can do to change the past.

Don

As much as some would like to forget, the 1950s were plagued by an overtly racist ideology. It's hard to keep that kind of hatred out of TV, movies and our lives. It was what it was. We can't change the past.
I guess I was living in la la land because I don’t remember anything like that, but then we didn’t have a TV and didn’t go to the shows very much., lucky I guess! going back n reading other posts I still didn’t see it where I lived I lived in a pretty big city, I also had a black friend we were best friends all thru school in fact most of our life until she passed away.

Last edited:
I guess I was living in la la land because I don’t remember anything like that, but then we didn’t have a TV and didn’t go to the shows very much., lucky I guess! 😊

Not understanting what you find so amusing. One didn't need to see a TV show or movie to know about racism.

I'm reminded of Ronald Reagan saying "I didn't realize this country ever had a racial problem." 🙄

Not understanting what you find so amusing. One didn't need to see a TV show or movie to know about racism.

I'm reminded of Ronald Reagan saying "I didn't realize this country ever had a racial problem." 🙄
I’m smiling because I was never racists because I wasn’t brought up to be!!!😡

Back