Let's Be Neighborly-----Show us your front door. OK Me First

Great to see where some of you live... Capt, I know those types of cottages very well , they are in many villages in Scotland. My very first house here in England was like that but the front door was on the canal towpath... Do you have a large kitchen conservatory at the back.? .we did...

No Hollydolly, my house has a rather chequered past. It seems that it was originally a shop and house and was extensively re-modelled in 1896. Its layout is rather quirky and originally had the kitchen / living room + range cooker at the front.
Over the years it was changed and the kitchen moved to the back. I would like to have added a conservatory, but the construction and location of the doors would have made that difficult. Here is the present kitchen obviously taken round Christmas. Excuse the mess !!

kitchen.jpg

Do you live in a manor?
It is a Senior Living Community with individual apartments. Today, many are in need of assistance and we have staff to handle that, but those of us who are independent do our own thing. Several married retirees also live here. Our dog is community owned, but since I was asked to train her, she thinks she belongs to me. Since I will be moving soon, I am training her to socialize with everyone and act as a therapy dog. She's a smart lass, so she will be fine. Question is, will I?

It is a Senior Living Community with individual apartments. Today, many are in need of assistance and we have staff to handle that, but those of us who are independent do our own thing. Several married retirees also live here. Our dog is community owned, but since I was asked to train her, she thinks she belongs to me. Since I will be moving soon, I am training her to socialize with everyone and act as a therapy dog. She's a smart lass, so she will be fine. Question is, will I?
It looks well cared for. It’s great that you have a community dog. They enjoy having a purpose just like humans do and it’s a proven fact that dogs can be great therapy for us in all ages of life.
I’m sure you’ll be fine. You seem to have a good plan in action. 👍

My front door with the rocker I just finished this spring. View attachment 40267I had some extra bricks so
I made planters out of them. I lined them with screen wire and then added soil. I can only plant Marigolds because the deer eat everything else.
Very nice hard-scaping, Ruth! I like that you matched the rocker and door trim color - very effective!

Thanks, Keesha. I am moving to the same type of community, but just a couple of miles from my son's home and that ocean you see behind me in my photo. Can't wait.
That’s lovely. There’s nothing quite like the smell and the sound of the ocean. Even if you aren’t in the water itself, it’s still very pleasurable and relaxing. My parents are in a wonderful home which they like that’s right beside one of the Great Lakes. It’s not quite the same but still lovely. It’s great that you are near your son. Being near loved ones is priceless.

My private hideaway ..

iu

Last edited:
Thanks, Keesha. I am moving to the same type of community, but just a couple of miles from my son's home and that ocean you see behind me in my photo. Can't wait.
I am very interested in learning a bit more about what life is really like for the people who live in thes communities. I have visited a very nice one in Washington State in the area wher my son lives and where my daughter plans to retire in a few years. Based on my visit, I concluded that living there where one monthly payment covers all meals in a nice dining room, cleaning and linen service. I also don't want my wife living alone in this big house with all the upkeep if I have to leave the planet.

The facility calendar of events indicates that all meals are now being delivered to the apartments and that social activities have been suspended because of the virus.
Is your community dealing with the virus the same way?
Do you have a common dining room? When I ate lunch at the one I am interested in, the food was delicious.
Overall, do you enjoy living there? I believe that my wife would be very happy living like that, especially after she gets into her 80's. My wife was not with me on that trip, but I really enjoyed talking to the residents.
Several of the ladies were adamant that we should move when we are both still healthy and that it is really tough on women to handle this all on their own while grieving. Would that be your opinion as well?
Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Not much of a door view, but I grew up with a well just like that and the chimney is awesome!
Thanks Em.... The Chimney is basically the only reason we didn,t just burn it down.
The door view is the boarded up garage... I helped build the garage addition back in the mid 80s..
We have slowly been getting it done... concrete floor and doors and power returned....
IMG_20191006_144436339.jpg

Back