lets do a roll call, how has covid

The both times I got Covid was after flying in an airplane. I think the airline industry needs to clean up their act and get cleaner standards.

An update - Covid has been making its way through Hubby's aged care facility.
The centre has not been put into lockdown but stringent precautions have been taken.

Hubby has not been infected, nor have I, but I am required to take a RAT every other day and wear a N95 mask while in the building. Infected residents go into isolation in their rooms and the staff must wear full fresh PPE every time they enter.

Daughter and I took Hubby out for lunch last week and after that he was confined to his room for the next two days until he was cleared by a PCR test. I was able to spend a lot of the daylight hours in his room to help him pass the day.

We are taking him out again next Saturday to see a performance of Afrique en Cirque as part of the Sydney Festival and I don't know whether he will have to isolate again because it would seem that Covid is no longer active in the facility, but if that is what it takes to prevent a new outbreak, then so be it.

Life goes on, and if something is required of us to protect the lives of others, including strangers, then it is my belief that we have a moral duty to co-operate.

For the dance performance I have booked 10 tickets and it was intended to be a boys only event. I am only going because Hubby's brother pulled out to protect his pregnant daughter and his wife, neither of whom can afford to get Covid for medical reasons. I fully respect his decision.

We have a couple of other events planned. The first will be to celebrate my 80th birthday in February. The second will be our 60th wedding anniversary in March.

Will we both live long enough to celebrate both occasions? Who can tell, but I am ever the optimist. If we must make a few small sacrifices such as wearing a mask and taking a rapid antigen test on the day, then that is what we will do. What we won't do is recklessly endanger other elderly residents in the nursing home.

Last edited:
I had the first two vaccines and one booster 10/21. Then in June I got Covid while on vacation in Ireland losing half of my trip. They required I isolate for 8 days. I had a mild case. My very healthy son was extremely sick. Really no predicting who will be the sickest.

You can also keep a house and yourself so germ free that you get sick easily when you finally encounter a germ. There’s a happy medium. It’s the reason I don’t use hand sanitizer and instead wash with soap and water.

I caught it back in June of last year, when I was in the rehab center recovering from my hip replacement. I remember mentioning to a nurse I was feeling a bit congested, and wondered aloud if it was alergies. She did a test and BAM...covid. Turns out a guest of my roommate was just recoveing from it. I was surprised they let the guest in as every guest had their temp taken before being allowed in. But, I guess if I was going to catch it, a medical facility was a good place to get it.

Interesting that so many people that have double vaccinations and boosters are still getting the Chinese Virus? Does anyone else find that curious? Not aware of large numbers of people that have been vaccinated just once for pneumonia, smallpox, TB, or polio and subsequently coming down with the disease. A few, yes, but not like the masses that have been vaccinated and added a booster and still get the Chinese (Virus) Flu.

I got the vaccine because I worked with seniors and elderly, and I could not in good conscience risk spreading it to them.
I had undiagnosed covid (I know it's what I had in February) so had antibodies, but I still felt a responsibility to get it just in case.
Now I'm retired so if it comes around again, I'll just stay home.
Fool me once...........

My wife and I have had four inoculations against the virus, yet celebrating New Year's Eve, we must have come in contact with a carrier. It hit me like a heavy cold, three maybe four days of misery then gradual recovery. My wife though, came so close to causing us the gravest concern. She's asthmatic, the virus went straight onto her chest, her temperature rose to alarming heights, she was taken to hospital, there she was somewhat stabilised, but who knows? Now, after a very worrying five days, she is recovering. My earlier thoughts about the vaccine being nothing more than a placebo have given way to, the inoculations had given her the resistance to fight, and overcome, a virulent bug, that might have otherwise have killed her. It hasn't been a very pleasant week.

1st occurance of Covid. I think this new variant is extremely contagious. Recommend that you don't get caught in enclosed spaces without ventilation and without a mask. I think I caught it at coffee shop when I had coffee with son on Saturday.

Currently on day 4 (thursday) of onset of symptoms. Monday (D1) afternoon felt tired after walk and napped for few hours- stomach churned all night. Strong "line" and strong symptoms on Tuesday (D2): only slight fever, was mildly achy, sensitive skin, no appetite, slept a lot, cough, and extra blankets. Wednesday (D3) lessened symptoms, appetite returning, more waking hours but still slept 18 hours on/off, bowels moved. Thursday (D4) up and about but nothing doing nothing-took a shower, eating more soup but with more solids. The line is getting fainter. I think I retained the taste and smell- just not up to eating much, lost 3 pounds.

extremely sore diaphram-
Afraid wife will catch this. She is a very bad patient.
Fully vax with boosters and co-variant. No regrets for getting the punctures.

Last edited:
Interesting that so many people that have double vaccinations and boosters are still getting the Chinese Virus? Does anyone else find that curious? Not aware of large numbers of people that have been vaccinated just once for pneumonia, smallpox, TB, or polio and subsequently coming down with the disease. A few, yes, but not like the masses that have been vaccinated and added a booster and still get the Chinese (Virus) Flu.
Yes, they did have to rush to get some protection available, overall, I think it has been a benefit. Just like the flu vaccine, covid vaccines, IMO will require yearly checks and updates. Covid has proven it is as elusive as the flu virus, they both keep evolving and will have to adapt to the changes. With those two I will continue to boost and change as they do as I age.

My father, MD student in that old country treated Small Pox patients, what little then medicines could do. TB, and whole bunch more. He himself got an initial cowpox vaccine.
I bet most of people here have had the various childhood diseases to get the immunity vs getting the vaccine. I remember weeks off from grade school. However, our son Never had a day of childhood illness.
My mother lost 4 siblings to 1918 influenza.
I myself had smallpox vaccine at birth, dad gave me another one in grade school - got scabby and another scratch in late grade school-very slight scab.

I've found that vaccinated people are often in denial of what they don't want to believe - that it's a useless vaccine.
They want to think they made the right decision; the smart decision.
I'm not vaccinated. I had Covid 3 weeks ago - also the "mild" case we're told we would get if we were vaccinated. It was no worse than a typical chest cold. 3 days of weakness & aching, & coughing for a few more days.
But I'll say this: If I chose to get vaccinated, I might say "my illness was mild due to the vaccine." Of course I'd be mistaken, but I'd have no way of knowing that. And the people who pushed the vaccines on us know that.

I've found that vaccinated people are often in denial of what they don't want to believe - that it's a useless vaccine.
I'm not vaccinated. I had Covid 3 weeks ago - also the "mild" case we're told we would get if we were vaccinated. It was no worse than a typical chest cold. 3 days of weakness & aching, & coughing for a few more days.
But I'll say this: If I chose to get vaccinated, I might say "my illness was mild due to the vaccine." Of course I'd be mistaken, but I'd have no way of knowing that. And the people who pushed the vaccines on us know that.

It is a personal choice, I understand that. Did you take the normal childhood vaccines? Did your children take recommended vaccines? I am not saying either is right or wrong. I just know I had all the normal vaccines as did my son. I have taken the flu vaccine for about 35 years. I did not get the flu but only colds. My sister who did not get a flu shot, got it every year and also is very prone to strep. I have never had strep. When the Covid vaccine came available she was the first one in line.

Again, I understand this is a choice, that we all have to weigh the benefit and risks on not only vaccines, but medications, surgeries, cancer treatments etc. We never know what we will decide until we are in that position. This is more than true as we age. At a certain point the risks and options we have weigh heavy. We have to make choice that will end in our death but the time we have left will be without great pain or illness until the end. It is a coin toss but it is our coin, our toss. Everyone should always have a choice.

My wife and I have had four inoculations against the virus, yet celebrating New Year's Eve, we must have come in contact with a carrier. It hit me like a heavy cold, three maybe four days of misery then gradual recovery. My wife though, came so close to causing us the gravest concern. She's asthmatic, the virus went straight onto her chest, her temperature rose to alarming heights, she was taken to hospital, there she was somewhat stabilised, but who knows? Now, after a very worrying five days, she is recovering. My earlier thoughts about the vaccine being nothing more than a placebo have given way to, the inoculations had given her the resistance to fight, and overcome, a virulent bug, that might have otherwise have killed her. It hasn't been a very pleasant week.
I am glad she is doing well, but I would argue that she may have done better without the inoculations. This is the first time that I am aware of that people with multiple inoculations still get the disease. Is it possible the shots actually weaken the immune system? Multiple athletes are dying. Vaccinated youngster are having issues, some are dying. It is just too weird in my opinion. I would not get another shot under any circumstances. And yes, I had the dreaded Chinese Virus, at least according to the government issued Chinese Test kit that showed a positive reading.

It is a personal choice, I understand that. Did you take the normal childhood vaccines? Did your children take recommended vaccines? I am not saying either is right or wrong. I just know I had all the normal vaccines as did my son. I have taken the flu vaccine for about 35 years. I did not get the flu but only colds. My sister who did not get a flu shot, got it every year and also is very prone to strep. I have never had strep. When the Covid vaccine came available she was the first one in line.

Again, I understand this is a choice, that we all have to weigh the benefit and risks on not only vaccines, but medications, surgeries, cancer treatments etc. We never know what we will decide until we are in that position. This is more than true as we age. At a certain point the risks and options we have weigh heavy. We have to make choice that will end in our death but the time we have left will be without great pain or illness until the end. It is a coin toss but it is our coin, our toss. Everyone should always have a choice.
I agree. It is a personal private choice.
I don't judge anyone in their own family's decision.

1st occurance of Covid. I think this new variant is extremely contagious. Recommend that you don't get caught in enclosed spaces without ventilation and without a mask. I think I caught it at coffee shop when I had coffee with son on Saturday.

Currently on day 4 (thursday) of onset of symptoms. Monday (D1) afternoon felt tired after walk and napped for few hours- stomach churned all night. Strong "line" and strong symptoms on Tuesday (D2): only slight fever, was mildly achy, sensitive skin, no appetite, slept a lot, cough, and extra blankets. Wednesday (D3) lessened symptoms, appetite returning, more waking hours but still slept 18 hours on/off, bowels moved. Thursday (D4) up and about but nothing doing nothing-took a shower, eating more soup but with more solids. The line is getting fainter. I think I retained the taste and smell- just not up to eating much, lost 3 pounds.

extremely sore diaphram-
Afraid wife will catch this. She is a very bad patient.
Fully vax with boosters and co-variant. No regrets for getting the punctures.
Friday (D5) feeling much better. Drippy nose. Some coughing, A little weak. Lost another 1#. Line is still blue.
Wife is now infected on DW2. Not going to be pleasant.

Getting vaccinated is just a first step. As variants appear boosters are developed that are aimed at specific variants, like Omicron. Boosting is beyond important, it’s essential.

Getting vaccinated is just a first step. As variants appear boosters are developed that are aimed at specific variants, like Omicron. Boosting is beyond important, it’s essential.
Life would be much simpler if it was a sure thing.
There are also many Flu variants. I've never had a flu shot, but 40 years ago when I got the flu, it seemed to provide immunity for all of the variants & mutations. I've never had the flu since & I've cared for many friends who had the flu - quite a bit of exposure.
If I did get yearly flu shots, I might also credit them for not getting the flu, but again, I'd be mistaken. So (for me), neither the vaccine nor boosting has been essential.

Life would be much simpler if it was a sure thing.
There are also many Flu variants. I've never had a flu shot, but 40 years ago when I got the flu, it seemed to provide immunity for all of the variants & mutations. I've never had the flu since & I've cared for many friends who had the flu - quite a bit of exposure.
If I did get yearly flu shots, I might also credit them for not getting the flu, but again, I'd be mistaken. So (for me), neither the vaccine nor boosting has been essential.
The annual flu shot is tailored for the current flu strain, so I get it every year, but you should do as you wish.

The annual flu shot is tailored for the current flu strain

Well, yes and no:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Quote:.....and 2) how well the vaccines “match” the flu viruses spreading in the community. When flu vaccines are not well matched to one or more circulating influenza viruses, it is possible that vaccination may provide little or no protection from illness caused by those viruses..../Quote

I’ve tested positive for Covid three times and on each occasion it was just a sore throat and a runny nose.

I’m not sure where I picked it up from but it was whilst I was mid Chemo, so my immune system was compromised. On two of those occasions I was sent some big red tablets, not sure if they helped or not.

Incidentally I was three times vaccinated at that time, four jabs now.

I’ve tested positive for Covid three times and on each occasion it was just a sore throat and a runny nose.

I’m not sure where I picked it up from but it was whilst I was mid Chemo, so my immune system was compromised. On two of those occasions I was sent some big red tablets, not sure if they helped or not.

Incidentally I was three times vaccinated at that time, four jabs now.
I am equally jabbed, and I‘ve had it twice, probably Omicron. Never hospitalized, and no sore throat, but I probably made the Kleenex makers rich. (-8

Let's not call it a vaccine. We never say I just got a Flu vaccine. It is a shot, PERIOD.
Did the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) change its definition of vaccine?
Yes, the CDC changed its definition of vaccine from “a product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease” to “a preparation that is used to stimulate the body’s immune response against diseases.” The public health agency also changed its definition of “vaccination.”
An archived CDC web page from May 2018 shows that the agency’s previous definition of vaccine was “a product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease.”

The current definition on a CDC web page last updated in September 2021 reads: “A preparation that is used to stimulate the body’s immune response against diseases.”

The latest CDC definition is absent the word “immunity” and just focuses on the stimulation of the body’s immune response.

The CDC also changed its wording for the definition of “vaccination” from “the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease” in 2018 to “the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce protection from a specific disease.” The key differences here are, again, the absence of the word “immunity” in the latest definition and the change to “protection” instead.

A spokesperson for the CDC told VERIFY in an emailed statement that “while there have been slight changes in wording over time to the definition of ‘vaccine’ on the CDC’s website, those haven’t impacted the overall definition.”

“The previous definition…could be interpreted to mean that vaccines were 100% effective, which has never been the case for any vaccine, so the current definition is more transparent,” the spokesperson wrote in part.

The World Health Organization (WHO) also says on its website that COVID-19 vaccines, in particular, do not provide full (100%) protection, so “breakthrough infections” – where people get the virus even though they are fully vaccinated – will happen.

“It’s also important to note that the modifications to the definition of ‘vaccine’ don’t change the fact that vaccines and the act of vaccination has prevented millions of illnesses and saved countless lives,” the CDC spokesperson added.

Merriam-Webster, which publishes dictionaries in the United States, said “the use of a vaccine that triggers an immune response in an entirely new way” during the COVID-19 pandemic required the company to revise and expand its definition of the word in May 2021. The company’s change was similar to the CDC’s update.

Back