Living alone have family and friends but very alone

Thanks for asking about me, twice in a row.... Morningglory! :ROFLMAO:

That gave me both a smile, and a laugh, which I am always grateful for! :)

I am doing okay. It isn't easy having my medical difficulties and limitations, and I have only 2 family members left.
I am thankful for them, yet one I rarely have contact with, and the other is the only person I generally see or talk with.
So I get lonely too.

I am so sorry about your son, and also the daughter who doesn't keep up contact with you. I understand, and I think it's great that you've tried reaching out here. You seem like a nice and friendly person, doing your best.
Nice to meet you!
Hi kaila, sorry I'm not good at following directions on here, but happy it made you smile! I too have medical problems and limitations so I feel it makes me exempt to go out and do like I once did, I still drive but not able to do anything unless there's a drive thru so I don't leave the house. Yes yesterday I was feeling blue ,it was my sons 14 yrs of being with Jesus . I have a lot of family but their all grown and have their own lives to live and very busy, I do hear from 1 granddaughter pretty often as I did yesterday so I'm thankful for that. One granddaughter lost her husband to suicide June 23 so I'm real concerned about her, not able to help but give support. Well enough of my life hope yours is great! Thank goodness I found this site, it's been good for me!

Who needs cell phones with Facetime and Zoom? It's free and more personable, try it
Those of us who use a cell phone for more than just talking. I order my Ubers and Lyfts using their apps. You can only use one device for that purpose. I play some of my games on my cell phone, others on my tablet. My phone is also my scheduler, hot spot for my tablet when I'm not home, notepad, transit schedule finder, recorder, pedometer, camera, calculator and much more,

Those of us who use a cell phone for more than just talking. I order my Ubers and Lyfts using their apps. You can only use one device for that purpose. I play some of my games on my cell phone, others on my tablet. My phone is also my scheduler, hot spot for my tablet when I'm not home, notepad, transit schedule finder, recorder, pedometer, camera, calculator and much more,
Have you been having trouble using Uber and/or Lyft, Diva? Reason I'm asking, I saw a news story the other day about how a lot of Uber and Lyft drivers quit during the Pandemic and have decided not to come back; they've gotten other jobs, better pay, benefits, etc., still nervous about catching Covid. (https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/04/why...ck.html?__source=xfinity|headline&par=xfinity)

Have you been having trouble using Uber and/or Lyft, Diva? Reason I'm asking, I saw a news story the other day about how a lot of Uber and Lyft drivers quit during the Pandemic and have decided not to come back; they've gotten other jobs, better pay, benefits, etc., still nervous about catching Covid. (https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/04/why...ck.html?__source=xfinity|headline&par=xfinity)
I haven't had a problem getting either but sometimes Uber will come more quickly than Lyft. I think that's because there are more Uber drivers. Week before last I couldn't believe how fast the Uber came...one minute! I check both apps before I choose a ride because the prices can differ a bit. If it's only a matter of a few cents and I'll have a lot less wait time, I'll sometimes choose the more expensive ride.

Last edited:

I play regular solitaire that comes on an iPhone (only Klondike) and have looked and used a few others but I don't like them for various reasons. What other games do you have that you like?

You mentioned calculator, yes I use that all the time too. I also use the timer a lot in the kitchen. Very handy to just talk to it! I use it for a zillion notes too and also have several of my own recipes on it, so if I'm out and have a hankering for one of them, I have all the ingredients right there.

I use the note feature also when I have questions for my doctor (which is always). Don't have to write them down anymore.

I play regular solitaire that comes on an iPhone (only Klondike) and have looked and used a few others but I don't like them for various reasons. What other games do you have that you like?

You mentioned calculator, yes I use that all the time too. I also use the timer a lot in the kitchen. Very handy to just talk to it! I use it for a zillion notes too and also have several of my own recipes on it, so if I'm out and have a hankering for one of them, I have all the ingredients right there.

I use the note feature also when I have questions for my doctor (which is always). Don't have to write them down anymore.
Yes...cell phones are such handy gadgets. I can't imagine doing without it anymore. I use my note pad for my shopping lists, doctor's questions and to keep track of which cards are offering bonus percentages back during which quarters as well as miscellaneous other things. The clock app is a God send and helps me keep track of when to put in my eye drops (three to six times daily) and when it's time to go down to the laundry room to get my clothes.

My favorite games that I play on my phone are Words With Friends 2, a different kind of crossword puzzle which I love..Cody Cross and Fantasy Mahjong. I also play Roller Ball (Skee Ball), Scrolling Words and Word Crush. I prefer to play the following games on my tablet because I can see things better and/or they just play better using a larger screen: Tile Master, Tile Connect, the colorful version of Block Puzzle, Glow Hockey, Mahjong Solitaire (Mahjong Titan) and Action Bowling.

Last edited:
Good question, morning glory. First of all, (((MorningGlory))) so very sorry about the tragic loss of your son. And I’m sorry the rest of the kids and grands are too busy for you too 😔
I recently befriended a 74 year old lady in a similar situation. Actually her daughter contacted me to see if I could help her Mom because she was at the end of her rope. The Mom lives in a senior apt.,trusts absolutely no one, and lives completely in the past. Still very VERY bitter over a divorce that happened 35 years ago. Her mind races a million miles an hour as do her conversations. She needs knee surgery but will never have it, nor probably should she as she would never do the exercise needed afterwards. She also has heart trouble. She was THE best at anything she did when she was younger, I don’t care what it was, she was the best. Men lusted after her...you catch my drift? This is where her mind is 24/7. She’s lonely, has no one to talk to except me, and I understand why. Our phone conversations aare at LEAST 2 1/2 hrs long each time. I just mostly listen, she needs to talk. I agree with mostly whatever she is babbling about, tell her how proud she should be of herself for walking away from an abusive marriage all those years ago, laugh at things she says...which really tickles her. So bit by slow bit I’m gaining her trust. We’re at the point that it is HER suggestion that we get some boxes and together start working on apartment. My heart aches for her... I can’t even imagine living like she does, filled with negativity, bitterness over past deeds. How can she ever move forward??? It takes me a good half our to settle down after our phone calls.
now where was I going with all of this? I know this isn’t you, but the loneliness is. I think friends our same age is the key answer. Kids don’t understand what we are going through and some of them don’t want to. Is it ossible for you to move some place where their are others in a similar situation? Where you can talk about the good old days? About your past life and experiences? Complain about aches and pains and the others will fully understand and share the same???? I wish this so much for you. Getting old IS hard, but we can make it a better, I think, if we try ❤️
Thanks Kathleen for condolences and thanks for your concerns of my loneliness, but difficult to leave home of 31 yrs I don't think I'd be happy any where else I did one time and moved back after 2 years.❤️

Yes...cell phones are such handy gadgets. I can't imagine doing without it anymore. I use my note pad for my shopping lists, doctor's questions and to keep track of which cards are offering bonus percentages back during which quarters as well as miscellaneous other things. The clock app is a God send and helps me keep track of when to put in my eye drops (three to six times daily) and when it's time to go down to the laundry room to get my clothes.

My favorite games that I play on my phone are Words With Friends 2, a different kind of crossword puzzle which I love..Cody Cross and Fantasy Mahjong. I also play Roller Ball (Skee Ball), Scrolling Words and Word Crush. I prefer to play the following games on my tablet because I can see things better and/or they just play better using a larger screen: Tile Master, Tile Connect, the colorful version of Block Puzzle, Glow Hockey, Mahjong Solitaire (Mahjong Titan) and Action Bowling.
After seeing what you do with a cell phone, I need to learn more about mine. I only make calls on it.

Living alone with health problems are very hard sometimes, I don't like to ask for help , everyone has their busy life's to live, thanks to a daughter that takes me to my appointments but no time in between, another daughter has family and very busy, another daughter that lives 1800 miles away and no contact, my son the youngest was killed 11 yrs ago this past July 5 .. I miss him every day he had more time for me then the girls, so life gets very lonely, have 9 grandchildren never see but 2 of them rarely.
Why does getting old have to hurt .
Hi Morning Glory, having a very loving close family, reading your message tells me how blessed I am. Please know that you are not alone, I start my day everyday reading from a book entitled "Jesus Calling" it puts me in a calm mood and the words I am reading seem to put in perspective what I am going through that day.

We recently received news that our big houseboat had sunk, it took thousands of dollars to bring it back up and the amount of repairs needed are astronomical. I read from the book the day after it happened and Jesus words calmed me and as it was indicated in that day's reading everything turned out good, someone bought the boat "as is" and relieved us of all the expenses.

I lost my Mother and two weeks later lost my 18 year old son, so I am well aware of how you suffered the loss of your son, however, it is through my love for Jesus that has given me the desire to continue with life. I keep my body healthy through my supplements and exercise anyway I can. Something must be working, I am 79 years old and take no medications and am not under any doctor's care.

God Bless you.

I play words with friends 2 with my daughter. She loves to get one over on me. I am addicted to mahjong dimensions if I'm on my laptop. I do a lot of puzzles, brain games , and suduko. I still play candy crush and candy crush soda.

View attachment 182436 @healthnut Just noticed that you just joined. GREAT !!!! Make yourself at home and ENJOY.
Thank you for your kind welcome, I have never joined a forum before and have no business doing so as I have a home business and I am interacting with people all day which keeps me busy, however I find this to be a very friendly place with nice people sharing with each other.

My C.P. is able to call every State plus Canada & V.I.'s. for free. My landline of years ago I had to pay for any calls out of my 765 area code. even to Dr's 20 miles away but different area code.

I have Verison with a smartphone for following my G.K's on "life360" a program that shows where they are 24/7 & the speed they are driving. it costs me $75.?? a month. A friend Don & his girlfriend has both Verison but flip phones for calling out & receiving calls only their bill is $15.?? a month They can still call all places just like me.

I understand what you go through...I have a similar experience. I look outside and am entertained by the squirrels. I examine the trees in detail. I marvel at how the clouds majestically sail through the skies.
I watch as the seasons change, all the time knowing that this will not last forever. I am sustained by the words, "And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." :)

Hi Morning Glory, having a very loving close family, reading your message tells me how blessed I am. Please know that you are not alone, I start my day everyday reading from a book entitled "Jesus Calling" it puts me in a calm mood and the words I am reading seem to put in perspective what I am going through that day.

We recently received news that our big houseboat had sunk, it took thousands of dollars to bring it back up and the amount of repairs needed are astronomical. I read from the book the day after it happened and Jesus words calmed me and as it was indicated in that day's reading everything turned out good, someone bought the boat "as is" and relieved us of all the expenses.

I lost my Mother and two weeks later lost my 18 year old son, so I am well aware of how you suffered the loss of your son, however, it is through my love for Jesus that has given me the desire to continue with life. I keep my body healthy through my supplements and exercise anyway I can. Something must be working, I am 79 years old and take no medications and am not under any doctor's care.

God Bless you.
Hello sorry you lost your son also, it's the worst I've ever been thru, but know I will see him again . Yes in the worst of times with the Grace of God we survive. m granddaughter is going thru a tragety of loseing her husband who committed suicide in June I'm trying to con sole her and lead her to Jesus. I have health issues and can barely walk now after back surgery but so far I've managed living alone, not ready to give up yet , go Marc 8 for procedure to check a leaking heart valve hoping not gotten worse.
God Bless You 😊

Good question, morning glory. First of all, (((MorningGlory))) so very sorry about the tragic loss of your son. And I’m sorry the rest of the kids and grands are too busy for you too 😔
I recently befriended a 74 year old lady in a similar situation. Actually her daughter contacted me to see if I could help her Mom because she was at the end of her rope. The Mom lives in a senior apt.,trusts absolutely no one, and lives completely in the past. Still very VERY bitter over a divorce that happened 35 years ago. Her mind races a million miles an hour as do her conversations. She needs knee surgery but will never have it, nor probably should she as she would never do the exercise needed afterwards. She also has heart trouble. She was THE best at anything she did when she was younger, I don’t care what it was, she was the best. Men lusted after her...you catch my drift? This is where her mind is 24/7. She’s lonely, has no one to talk to except me, and I understand why. Our phone conversations aare at LEAST 2 1/2 hrs long each time. I just mostly listen, she needs to talk. I agree with mostly whatever she is babbling about, tell her how proud she should be of herself for walking away from an abusive marriage all those years ago, laugh at things she says...which really tickles her. So bit by slow bit I’m gaining her trust. We’re at the point that it is HER suggestion that we get some boxes and together start working on apartment. My heart aches for her... I can’t even imagine living like she does, filled with negativity, bitterness over past deeds. How can she ever move forward??? It takes me a good half our to settle down after our phone calls.
now where was I going with all of this? I know this isn’t you, but the loneliness is. I think friends our same age is the key answer. Kids don’t understand what we are going through and some of them don’t want to. Is it ossible for you to move some place where their are others in a similar situation? Where you can talk about the good old days? About your past life and experiences? Complain about aches and pains and the others will fully understand and share the same???? I wish this so much for you. Getting old IS hard, but we can make it a better, I think, if we try ❤️
Hi Katleen you sound like a very good friend to this little lady wish I had one like you! God will reward you for it😊

What in the world do people do that don't have God in their lives!
Unfortunately, it seems like I see a lot of them--both from comments I see online and hear in real life--instead worship money & monetary "success" and/or their own manly "strength", lone-wolfness. And I'm not purposely singling out the men here: because I have never ever experienced a woman saying she doesn't need anybody else, rather even if she doesn't appear religious at all, she'll mention how much family, friends, loved ones mean to her. I've only heard men say that they don't need anyone or anything else other than themselves. So, while not all men are like that, it seems to be only men who are in some cases like that.

Living alone with health problems are very hard sometimes, I don't like to ask for help , everyone has their busy life's to live, thanks to a daughter that takes me to my appointments but no time in between, another daughter has family and very busy, another daughter that lives 1800 miles away and no contact, my son the youngest was killed 11 yrs ago this past July 5 .. I miss him every day he had more time for me then the girls, so life gets very lonely, have 9 grandchildren never see but 2 of them rarely.
Why does getting old have to hurt .
I believe boys are better for caring

Back