Look down...What Do Your Shoes Say About You?

boots-me-removebg-preview.png
These are my favourite Boots...I have lots of boots, but I love brogues...

Last edited:
I used to enjoy shoes. Now I have 3 pairs of shoes, including my duck boots for wet weather that I have had for years. I buy new shoes and then can't wear them. I only wear slippers inside. When I go anywhere I wear sandals I got at Walmart three years ago. I have one pair of slip on shoes that I got brand new at a thrift store over ten years ago. I just have trouble finding shoes that are comfortable. I can't have a heel more than an inch and the inside of the shoe needs to be smooth. I kept getting some that have a hard ridge around the edge inside the shoe and could not wear it.

There's an old saying: "Clothes make the person" that possibly comes from the German "Kleider machen Leute." When I was young, shoes were a big deal to some who thought they shaped your very being. I was once pestered into giving up my tennis shoes for a pair of charcoal grey and pink buck shoes to go to a dance. Besides, who dances in tennis shoes, charcoal/pink was a hot trend for a few hours and a lovely girl strongly suggested I wear them. In the post-college world of business and suits, shined shoes were the norm, preferably wingtips. I finally reached a position where casual and comfortable shoes were the norm and I haven't worn anything else since. There is still a new, never-been-worn pair of Johnston & Murphy dress shoes in the closet. I should get rid of them before someone, sometimes decides I should wear them at my funeral. They're not me, but then , no shoes are. Shoes are to protect your feet.

Last edited:
Looked at my shoes I wear most often outside and into the bin. ordered a couple similar ones to get me through next few years. I think my shoes now in life would say this fellow is definitely retired with the slip on loafer look. Once when backpacking through asia i was in Thailand for a month or so. A local traced my feet on cardboard and 3 days later i had two pair of handmade 'oxford' shoes made out of water buffalo leather. had those for years but I think a dog eventually got rid of them !

HRH Prince Charles and his old bespoke shoes

PCharlesAtLobb.jpg

Prince Charles at Lobb

"It seems his HRH Prince Charles cherishes his shoes very much, earlier on this blog I wrote about HRH recycling a pair of bespoke(Lobb) oxford's, which has been in service for more than 40 years. Apparently HRH has a few pairs which are older than his sons and he does use them after all these years. From the below pictures one can see HRH wearing a black straight cap toe, then a burgundy punched cap toe. Followed by a very beautiful burgundy or oxblood coloured full brogue".

iu

"I anticipate that the full brogue is the same pair of shoe, so all in all we see HRH still recycling at least three pairs of bespoke shoes, which are well looked after and cherished by his HRH Prince Charles. Note the well polished & patina on all shoes, that glossy spit-shine".

Message to all shoe-lovers, Shoe AristoCats is: "Look well after your shoes, and they will serve you for decades to come".

Last edited:
HRH Prince Charles and his old bespoke shoes

PCharlesAtLobb.jpg

Prince Charles at Lobb

"It seems his HRH Prince Charles cherishes his shoes very much, earlier on this blog I wrote about HRH recycling a pair of bespoke(Lobb) oxford's, which has been in service for more than 40 years. Apparently HRH has a few pairs which are older than his sons and he does use them after all these years. From the below pictures one can see HRH wearing a black straight cap toe, then a burgundy punched cap toe. Followed by a very beautiful burgundy or oxblood coloured full brogue".

iu

"I anticipate that the full brogue is the same pair of shoe, so all in all we see HRH still recycling at least three pairs of bespoke shoes, which are well looked after and cherished by his HRH Prince Charles. Note the well polished & patina on all shoes, that glossy spit-shine".

Message to all shoe-lovers, Shoe AristoCats is: "Look well after your shoes, and they will serve you for decades to come".
One might suspect the prince doesn't look after his shoes once they're made. Probably his servants do.

@Pappy, sorry this is off topic. Is the chair on the left a Stressless. Today I was searching their site. I’d like to try one, not sure that I wouldn’t be very stressed after looking at the prices.
I guess you could call it that. We bought that chair 17-18 years ago and it was in the $200 range. I have no idea what they are now. It’s quite comfortable but we use our new lift chairs.

iu
iu

An Uptown Dandy: Fred Astaire's Foster & Son Spectators

iu
shoesfred.jpg
Ever since I saw these shoes on this thread I have been guilty of the sin of covet. But not anymore.

Wingtip-Oxfords-1.jpeg
The style is slightly different but I'm loving them.

My shoes are saying be comfortable, not cute. @horseless carriage I love seeing your wardrobe including your shoe collection. Is that you and your wife from your May 16th post? Handsome couple!
Apologies for missing your post, you must think me ignorant. The photo that you commented on is from a catalogue dated 1920. The shoes that the fellow is wearing caught my eye, I had a similar pair made, bespoke.
Your charming compliment must surely be repaid and given that my wife makes most of our clothes, here's a photo of us just before the covid lockdown.
hercules.jpg

Back