Lost one pound from last month

Like yourself, Deb, activity lessons over the course of winter, with my appetite ballooning!

Thicker, richer, heavier meals that stick to ones ribs are my favourite thing from fall to spring.

Looking at your chart, my first comment is, WOW!! You've done so well! Plateaus happen in long-term weight loss journeys, but my experience has been that if you stick to your plan, you eventually start to lose again. I was going to say, Good luck! But I know that luck has nothing to do with it, it's accomplished by hard work and determination. So...good for you and keepit up!!

I don't see a plateau. A slow possibly, because that last week on the graph has less of a slant than previous weeks.

One thing I learned as my weight loss journey progressed (not as much of a journey as yours....I was 40 pounds overweight) was that as my progress slowed it became necessary to change my approach. A heavier body, at rest, consumes more calories than a lighter body. As my body lost its weight, it required less calories to function, but if I was consuming the same amount of calories, it made sense that the weight loss would slow.

I dropped my calorie intake 3 times over the course of a year and a half in order to get past the plateaus. I lost 30 of that 40 pounds, and then when the weight loss leveled out again, I decided that I was done because dropping my calorie intake further felt like it wouldn't be healthy. I felt better, my knees no longer hurt, I wasn't getting winded going up a flight of stairs and my cholesterol had lowered. I've continued to remain vigilant, and I tweak my diet any time I gain more than the +/- 3 lbs of wiggle room I allow myself.

Tough to do when I have a ravenous appetite and for the wrong things. Although I am 22 pound less that one year ago, to reach my
"ideal" weight, I'd have to lose about 70 more pounds.
Congratulations on the 22 pounds. It matters. Winter can be hard. I use my oven in the winter and too many calorie items can go in the oven like pizza. Plus I was doing smoothies in the summer but made one from frozen berries after it got cold and it wasn't as good as when it's hot. Cooked the rest of the berries (I bought and froze myself) and put them on oatmeal. Very good.

Weight loss is just this: taking in less calories than you burn. A former co-worker who was an RN used to tell me: "portion control". Less pie in the pie-hole, basically. Exercise is certainly important, I see young folks(under 50) thinking they can "burn off" the extra calories they've stuffed in their mouths. Maybe to a small degree, but it's best to keep those calories out, to begin with.

I know those winter cravings as well, it's a challenge for sure. Drink a glass of water first, if you think you're about to yield-to-temptation.
***Important***
Two reasons to eat more lean protein:
1. You're older, protein for muscle is essential.
2. Eating protein is satisfying, and helps curb those junky carb laden snacks you have in the cupboard.

Good luck, make sure your goals are modest, more likely to become a good habit if you're not torturing yourself.

Weight loss is just this: taking in less calories than you burn. A former co-worker who was an RN used to tell me: "portion control". Less pie in the pie-hole, basically. Exercise is certainly important, I see young folks(under 50) thinking they can "burn off" the extra calories they've stuffed in their mouths. Maybe to a small degree, but it's best to keep those calories out, to begin with.

I know those winter cravings as well, it's a challenge for sure. Drink a glass of water first, if you think you're about to yield-to-temptation.
***Important***
Two reasons to eat more lean protein:
1. You're older, protein for muscle is essential.
2. Eating protein is satisfying, and helps curb those junky carb laden snacks you have in the cupboard.

Good luck, make sure your goals are modest, more likely to become a good habit if you're not torturing yourself.
Very good advice there Nathan.

Tell me about it. I love my snacks and have to have something crunchy to satisfy me so I am converting to celery and it's actually pretty good and good for a person. It is also good for eliminating water from the system.
Tell me about it. I love my snacks and have to have something crunchy to satisfy me so I am converting to celery and it's actually pretty good and good for a person. It is also good for eliminating water from the system.

There's a new diet Fad out there.

It's called "move more. Eat less"
415016ab1060fdb7d35ac47d108f02f1--timeline-photos-aunty-acid.jpg

Back