Men: cutting your own hair?

Just as a follow-up: A few weeks ago I received my Wahl cordless hair clippers, and a barber's cape from Amazon. I watched & watched & watched Youtube videos on how to cut own hair. Result: utter dissatisfaction, I halted the humiliating defeat and turned myself in to the barber shop I most often frequent and confessed my folly. The barber gal cleaned up the mess I made, and I left with a renewed appreciation for a professional job...well done.
The deal-breaker for cutting my own hair: in order to cut the sides, guess what...I have to take my glasses off. View attachment 283209 Trimming the back is not to bad, I can see everything well with my hand mirror and my back to the big bathroom wall mirror.
So, I don't know what to do with the clipper, it may be "a while" before I worked up the courage to take another stab at cutting my own hair.
Strange that this thread would show up for me today! My wife had cut my hair for 54 years, since she was a hairdresser! After her passing my son-in-law took me to a salon and it felt really weird to this old geezer to be sitting, watching women under their dryers and my being worked over by a hair-stylist rather than a barber. I should have gotten used to it but decided last year to start cutting my own hair. The only way to do it without a hand held mirror was to cut it down to the skin by feel! Daughter complimented me, so it couldn't have been too bad.

However!!! It had been a tedious, lengthy procedure so I ordered clippers from Amazon. I tried them for the first time last night and what a mess. It took off some of my hair but refused to cut the rest. I changed settings multiple times, same result. Held it in different positions ... nope! Then the clippers stopped ... out of power after twenty minutes, and I had started with 100 percent! Recharged, tried again.

Same result! Grey hair on the floor but no even results on top! I ended up putting away the clippers, picked up my scissors and cut my hair down to a very short stubble once again! It was a lot of work but darn it looks good! Well, it might not be so great, I still don't possess a hand-held mirror, so I can't vouch for the back!

I can't even imagine trying to cut my own hair :eek: I'm positive I'd make a mess of it! Besides, my barber ... oh, sorry, hairdresser ... does a great job and I get a really nice wash 'n rinse plus a delightful head massage prior to the actual cut. We always have a good chin-waggle as well so to me, it's well worth the expense(y)

Last edited:
For about 3 yrs now I've been fortunate enough to have
a lady barber come to the house and cut my hair....I keep it
all the way down to about 1/4 inch, so no special work involved...we catch up on the gossip and i double tip her so
it works fine for me.....

I've been cutting my own hair for around 18 years now.. It took me forever the first few times I attempted it.. As I was so careful and meticulous.. I can cut it now in around 10 mins to get it the same length all over, 7mm.. but then go over it again for quite some time to make sure I get all the odd long hairs I've missed... I think the longest part is setting up to do it and clearing up afterwards... I guess I'll keep doing it until I cant, then I might revert back to the hippie look..

Back