Men: cutting your own hair?

I have cut mine for a long time now. One attachment for the top, another shorter one to taper the back, and left and right attachments for the sides. Last time I must have been half awake and I grabbed the shorter attachment for the top and really gave myself a scalping but so what. I wear a hat all the time in the winter anyway and it is growing back.

I started cutting my own hair in my 20's with scissors.
The first time was a little scary half way through, but the final result turned out well.
I can cut my hair to any length in this manner, and used to cut my spouse's hair to any length too.
Clippers are easy to use, but they don't cut as well as using scissors, which are also quite easy and much more precise.

My wife cuts my hair has a hair stylist diploma from many fears ago. Before the days I was married I would get a haircut, and have it cut short. Then several times I would trim my hair by taping a razor blade to a comb leaving about one-half inch of the prongs to run my hair through. Then a few months later I would go back to my barber, and he would say I looked like a hippy then give me a short haircut again.

And the whole dog clipper thing cracked me up. :ROFLMAO:
Me too.
With the price of haircuts now I would have saved quire a bit of money doing it myself.
How much do men pay for a haircut?

Does it look like what you paid for if you do it yourself? My friend was a stylist. He insists that he wants that combover look and they both brag about the money they’ve saved. Penny saved, pound poor!

@Jules, I pay $28 for a haircut and I tip my stylist $10 each time. She will actually do a "neck trim" and clean up the sides for free if I need it. I joined the shop's Facebook page and sent her a message when they were closed in the first days of Covid. She gave me haircuts at her apartment. I love my stylist and everyone in the shop. I took them cookies for Christmas.

I cut my husbands hair, my own hair and the dogs hair, and before that I cut my dads hair.
When the kids were very young I cut their hair also.
I'm tired of cutting hair.
I should enlist my wife to cut my hair, after all, I shaved her head for two different cancer chemo regimens.

Lol, I shouldn't have given away the doggie clippers to our favorite dog rescue...:ROFLMAO:

Does anyone cut their own hair, or have someone cut it, rather than going to a barber shop? I don't enjoy going to get my haircut, seems like in a traditional barber shop the men just sit, gawking around while waiting. Super Cuts is much more modern and professional, but they cost twice as much and is 15 miles further away.
Here's a really good video on how to trim your beard:
I suggest going to settings and speeding the video up as otherwise, he talks rather slowly.

Me too.

How much do men pay for a haircut?

Does it look like what you paid for if you do it yourself? My friend was a stylist. He insists that he wants that combover look and they both brag about the money they’ve saved. Penny saved, pound poor!
A men's haircut costs an average of $25.
Having curly hair it is easy to run clippers over the whole head and it is all even, looks the same if it was done by a hairdresser.

Does anyone cut their own hair, or have someone cut it, rather than going to a barber shop? I don't enjoy going to get my haircut, seems like in a traditional barber shop the men just sit, gawking around while waiting. Super Cuts is much more modern and professional, but they cost twice as much and is 15 miles further away.
barber shop --kids and those around kids...therefore covid exposure ....bought my own gear two years ago watched several you tubes on how to cut your own.....not that hard secret is a little at time....until you get it like you want it instead of a lot and try to make it symmetric.....actully more of a feel for the back ...but looks and feels good .....

I've always felt uncomfortable in salons and barber shops, and they get more expensive every year. Decided about 10 years ago to do it myself. Not a very hard job with a short simple style like mine, other than getting the lower back part even. Main thing to remember is never cut your hair when you are tipsy. Yep I learned that the hard way. Botched it so badly I wound up shaving my head completely bald that day. 😖

Update
So here's where I am today:
I asked my wife to convert an old pillow case into a barber's cape...done!
I re-watched a couple cut your own hair Youtube videos...done!
Set up in the bathroom with cape, brush, comb, hand mirror and clippers...done!
Got up my courage, got ready to cut hair...took off glasses...FAIL! I can't see well enough without glasses, can't cut hair while wearing them.

:rolleyes:

Update
So here's where I am today:
I asked my wife to convert an old pillow case into a barber's cape...done!
I re-watched a couple cut your own hair Youtube videos...done!
Set up in the bathroom with cape, brush, comb, hand mirror and clippers...done!
Got up my courage, got ready to cut hair...took off glasses...FAIL! I can't see well enough without glasses, can't cut hair while wearing them.

:rolleyes:

Why not ? ...... your hair is on top , while your glasses are on the front ;).

My clipper set has a l&R ear comb for going around the ear ..... I cut them first, put my glasses back on ... then cut the rest.

Why not ? ...... your hair is on top , while your glasses are on the front ;).
The glasses are in the way for sides and around the ears. I'm not giving up, I'll work up some motivation by thinking about waiting in the barber shop, while the barber cuts a guy's hair....one hair at a time with the scissors. o_O

youtube vids--7 of 10 stink but you only need one ...that works for you a little at time next a bit more in 4 days you will be good for a few weeks then time to tweak your style --the other guys will want you to do theirs too along with shoe shine massage and manicure pedicure...dont forget eyebrows.....note I am stopping there.

I went to the same barber shop for 17 years until he went to the great barber shop in the sky. Good barber, but talked extensively between his snips, and a haircut might take 45 minutes or so. A haircut to him was a social event. My spousal equivalent then took over following his death, but might take several weeks to actually deliver a requested haircut, then arthritis and standing made it too much for her. I now go to a hair cuttery type shop where the nimble fingers of the girls fly, and I’m in and out in 15 minutes. I’ve been known to trim around my ears and beat back the sideburns to extend the life of a haircut by a week or so…

Back