Migrants in Texas: US 'to fly thousands back to Haiti'

I think you are probably right. However there are those who believe the "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" could be interpreted to exclude people born to non-US parents. I am skeptical though, I think you are right probably would take an amendment.
If you are born in the USA, you are a US citizen, regardless of parental nationality.

Do realize that Texas has a vast border, but it would make more sense for Mexico (doesn't want back those attempting to enter the US illegally) to direct them to California and New Mexico border crossings where they'll have protection against deportation. From there they can migrate up the west coast and into Colorado where they'll have protection as well.
I live in Mexico, right near the San Diego/Tijuana border. There are already thousands upon thousands of people from dozens of countries right here, right now, who are looking for ways to cross illegally into the U.S.
When I cross the border to go shopping, I must go 25 miles into California before I begin to see Americans. Heck, even the city buses have signs/ads in Spanish.

I think you are probably right. However there are those who believe the "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" could be interpreted to exclude people born to non-US parents. I am skeptical though, I think you are right probably would take an amendment.
I feel for you, we fixed this problem in 1986. Up until then children born in Australian automatically became citizens but now it all depends entirely on the parents' immigration status, so most illegal immigrants are sent home.

For a child too qualify now, it depends on two things -

- if one or both parents are Australian citizens or a permanent resident; or

- if the child has been residing in the country for 10 years from the date of their birth.

I feel for you, we fixed this problem in 1986. Up until then children born in Australian automatically became citizens but now it all depends entirely on the parents' immigration status, so most illegal immigrants are sent home.

For a child too qualify now, it depends on two things -

- if one or both parents are Australian citizens or a permanent resident; or

- if the child has been residing in the country for 10 years from the date of their birth.

Sounds like we're behind times. That would take care of tourism babies too. If one parent isn't a US citizen, there's no incentive for a pregnant woman to fly here to give birth.

If you are born in the USA, you are a US citizen, regardless of parental nationality.
I know that is how the law is currently applied, but would it take a constitutional amendment to change that? The 14th amendment says:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside"

Could the words "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" be used to exclude people born to non-US parents? Apparently Native Americans were not citizens until 1924, long after the amendment.

If Congress were to pass a bill denying citizenship to children of non-US parentage do you think it would stand the legal test?

I know that is how the law is currently applied, but would it take a constitutional amendment to change that? The 14th amendment says:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside"

Could the words "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" be used to exclude people born to non-US parents? Apparently Native Americans were not citizens until 1924, long after the amendment.

If Congress were to pass a bill denying citizenship to children of non-US parentage do you think it would stand the legal test?
Here are some case law Annotations on it:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-14/section-1/citizens-of-the-united-states

Could it be any worst then to "welcome immigrants", have them travel travel 1000's of danger filled miles, spend their life savings, then send them back to where they came from? Sounds like a great plan.

I do not think that is the way it is supposed to work. I think he meant welcoming legal immigration.
The Amendment didn't envision circumstances through which, for example, Chinese parents would arrange to have children born in the US as a hedge against future instability in China. Or that Hispanic immigrants would conceive "anchor babies" as a foundation for their efforts to relocate here. These practices are antithetical to the concept of citizenship.

The "anchor baby" thing is a myth. Having a baby born here to illegal immigrants just means that the child is a US citizen, so the child can stay and be put into foster care or with US relatives, but the parents can still be deported. Having a US born child does not in any way change the status of undocumented parents. I worked in a law office that did some immigration work and that "anchor baby" thing was one of the major misconceptions people had. It doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
Do realize that Texas has a vast border, but it would make more sense for Mexico (doesn't want back those attempting to enter the US illegally) to direct them to California and New Mexico border crossings where they'll have protection against deportation. From there they can migrate up the west coast and into Colorado where they'll have protection as well.
They will be sent back if they are apprehended -- immigration is a federal matter, not a state one.

Thanks, looks like it would take a constitutional amendment to change things, and that seems unlikely...
The USA doesn't need any of this type since there is a glut of people like that. This is why you see so many college graduates flipping burgers at fast "food" joints.
Depends on what the degree is in, and what people have done with it.

The important criteria I'd want to see is that the person be a significant positive addition to our economy, people who would make us richer and more prosperous. People with say PhDs in Electrical Engineering or advanced medical degrees are a lot more likely to do that than high school dropouts. On the other hand if someone has done well in business and could bring that business to the US I would not care what her or his education was.

I do not think that is the way it is supposed to work. I think he meant welcoming legal immigration.

The "anchor baby" thing is a myth. Having a baby born here to illegal immigrants just means that the child is a US citizen, so the child can stay and be put into foster care or with US relatives, but the parents can still be deported. Having a US born child does not in any way change the status of undocumented parents. I worked in a law office that did some immigration work and that "anchor baby" thing was one of the major misconceptions people had. It doesn't work that way.
When I married my now Ex wife, she had already become a U.S. citizen. That entitled her to petition for her mother. Once the mother was here, she then petitioned to have her brothers enter the U.S.

If my experience is any example, having a close relative as a naturalized U.S. citizen, gives a major leg up for other close relatives to also enter the U.S. Thus, when the baby spoken about above reaches adulthood, he/she can petition to have his/her mother/father come here. Etc. Etc. on and on, almost without limit.

As of today, over 1.5 million illegals have entered the country. Some of these illegals have come from other countries and have flown into Mexico and then crossed into the U.S. Homeland Security expects to receive over 2 million illegals by the end of the year. Many have been situated in other states and given the same benefits as a welfare recipient all at taxpayer's expense.

I think we all know who created this situation and that he is a complete nincompoop.

They will be sent back if they are apprehended
Not exactly --

https://nypost.com/2021/09/20/the-truth-behind-the-texas-bridge-migrants/

“They say they heard Joe Biden was opening the border up so they came.”

Quite logically, these Haitians — who all have cellphones with social-media access — took up Biden’s offer.
Ortiz boasted that 3,300 migrants had been moved out from under the bridge since Friday. As of midday Sunday, there were still 12,600 migrants camping there, with another 3,000 to be moved out by Monday.

But where they are being moved to, he didn’t exactly say.

It turns out just 327 were sent back to Haiti on three flights Sunday, according to a DHS spokesperson. They were reportedly all adult single males. The rest of the 3,300 presumably are family groups who will be processed and released.

As of today, over 1.5 million illegals have entered the country. Some of these illegals have come from other countries and have flown into Mexico and then crossed into the U.S. Homeland Security expects to receive rover 2 million illegals by the end of the year. Many have been situated in other states and given the same benefits as a welfare recipient all at taxpayer's expense.

I think we all know who created this situation and that he is a complete nincompoop.

Again, please provide a source for your claims. As you have already seen the government has captured and returned tens of thousands every month. Even the ultra right wing John Birch Society acknowledges that 180K per month are apprehended: Border Agents Apprehend 180K Illegal-aliens a Month. Fiscal Year Total Could Pass 1.5M - The New American meaning that a total of 1.5 million will be detained, not entered.

Again, please provide a source for your claims. As you have already seen the government has captured and returned tens of thousands every month. Even the ultra right wing John Birch Society acknowledges that 180K per month are apprehended: Border Agents Apprehend 180K Illegal-aliens a Month. Fiscal Year Total Could Pass 1.5M - The New American meaning that a total of 1.5 million will be detained, not entered.
Apprehension does not equate to expulsion. Per the article you just quoted --

From Day 1 of his regime, Biden’s message has been clear. Ten of his 12 orders on immigration reversed former President Donald Trump’s policies.

In fact, they were counterproductive as far as the Democrat Party’s main goal was concerned: Permanently alter the demographics of the country by importing immigrants, then turn them into voters who permanently cement Democrat power.

Three of Biden’s most damaging orders essentially ended deportations and immigration enforcement in the United States, stopped construction of his predecessor’s border wall, and rescinded Trump’s order that immigrants repay the government for welfare

Per the article quoted in entry #91 regarding the most recent actions this past weekend

Ortiz boasted that 3,300 migrants had been moved out from under the bridge since Friday. As of midday Sunday, there were still 12,600 migrants camping there, with another 3,000 to be moved out by Monday.

But where they are being moved to, he didn’t exactly say.

It turns out just 327 were sent back to Haiti on three flights Sunday, according to a DHS spokesperson. They were reportedly all adult single males. The rest of the 3,300 presumably are family groups who will be processed and released.

A tenth of the people processed were deported, the rest were released into the U.S.

Last edited:
Problem is that finding good info is hard to come by. If you listen to the story you quoted, they said 3 flights returned 3400 people. Can you fit 1100 people on a flight? All the stories agree that there are 3400 less people after Sunday. I've seen several stories reporting that only 325 were returned, which seems more likely if there were only 3 flights. THe same stories say the rest were taken from the bridge but remain in the U.S. Who knows for sure?

Why do we tolerate Mexico's crap? They refuse to accept the immigrants back in to the country while running drugs and guns through their country to us. Corruption is the foundation of their legal system.

Why do we tolerate Mexico's crap? They refuse to accept the immigrants back in to the country while running drugs and guns through their country to us. Corruption is the foundation of their legal system.
I completely agree. Odd how former Spanish colonies are that way, while English, French and Dutch colonies much, much less so.

Problem is that finding good info is hard to come by. If you listen to the story you quoted, they said 3 flights returned 3400 people. Can you fit 1100 people on a flight? All the stories agree that there are 3400 less people after Sunday. I've seen several stories reporting that only 325 were returned, which seems more likely if there were only 3 flights. THe same stories say the rest were taken from the bridge but remain in the U.S. Who knows for sure?

About the numbers:

Different news sources are saying that Mexico, and their National Guard have finally stepped up, as of yesterday, and bus loads of Haitians are going back to Mexico to be processed. They finally stopped buses from taking immigrants to the US border.

Claims are that 6000 people so far have been removed from Del Rio area ..... via, plane (US flights to Haiti), and buses (Mexico).
Mexico is o sort out who stays in their country thru due process, and who will go back to Chile, Brazil and other places that they had been living the past several months.

And some have been processed to stay in the US also ... buses have arrived in San Antonio and Houston.

Why do we tolerate Mexico's crap? They refuse to accept the immigrants back in to the country while running drugs and guns through their country to us
Don't know why they refuse immigrant returns, or the legal basis for it. Seems like they ought to take their own citizens.

However we have to take some of the blame for the drugs and guns. Without the huge demand in the US there would be no money in it and much less a problem. I think solving that problem would make a lot of Mexicans happy and their country a safer place to live. And its not just Mexico...

Back