Millennials Self-Destruct:

Packerjohn

Packerjohn
It strange when you think of it. When you get to my age, you know life is short & you do your best to live as long as you can. Not for the young, they are (so they think) going to live for a long time if not forever. They take foolish chances like "having an adventure". Sadly many never make it. The following from our local paper this morning:

A 28-year-old man from the Rural Municipality of Prairie Lakes died following a Saturday afternoon collision northwest of Ninette. Police said Monday he was snowmobiling next to a road when he apparently hit a tree. The man, who was not wearing a helmet, died of his injuries in hospital.
A 20-year-old man from Churchill died Sunday morning, after snowmobiling through a back lane near Kelsey Boulevard and hitting a flat-deck semi-trailer. The man was not wearing a helmet, and died at the scene.

I personally don’t see any difference in our behaviour and those of today’s kids. We all did stupid stuff. We all made bad choices. Isn’t that how we learn though? When I was a kid there were plenty of deaths from foolish accidents.

I agree with Keesha. I don't believe that I'm this wise, elder sage, who never did anything dumb. When I was a kid, I kind of remember accusations of being "young", inane, unaware of the consequences, dumb,....you get the picture.
And I think it's a waste of time when you try to characterize a huge group of people, who just happened to be born during a certain time. Everyone, who was born in 1980, thinks exactly alike, has exactly the same political ideation, has exactly the same life's experiences, etc., etc.??? But of course, if they were born at 11:59 PM, on Dec. 31,1979, they would have had a totally different outlook on life.

I personally don’t see any difference in our behaviour and those of today’s kids. We all did stupid stuff. We all made bad choices. Isn’t that how we learn though? When I was a kid there were plenty of deaths from foolish accidents.
I couldn't agree more, Keesha. I along with many others took foolish chances without half of today' s safety devices. I raced cars for a short while with only a seat belt, no shoulder harness, no roll cage. Rode a motorcycle without a helmet, and on and on. Never wore hardhats on construction sites, or colorful vests on the highway. Even when these thing became available, the old-timers tended to scorn them. All foolishness, but that's what the young did and do today, or at least a good portion of them.

Some would say that it is just nature's way of cleaning up the gene pool but I won't say it because I've already done my share of 'mean' today. Moderation in all things.

I'm sorry for the young men who will not grow up to do manly things and I'm sorry for grandchildren that will never be. This will be a difficult Christmas for families and other love ones. :sick:

Some would say that it is just nature's way of cleaning up the gene pool but I won't say it because I've already done my share of 'mean' today. Moderation in all things.

I'm sorry for the young men who will not grow up to do manly things and I'm sorry for grandchildren that will never be. This will be a difficult Christmas for families and other love ones. :sick:
I wish that was the case, but if it was, the world would have a predominance of decent, sensible, fair-minded people. Sadly, it seems the opposite is true.
Now, if people chose their partners with a view to their genes, the world might be a better place.

Think of it this way. Being young equates to minimal experience in living versus being around for 6,7,8+ decades is a resume bloated with experience. "We learn by doing living."

My youth was spent taking endless risks without thinking, the consequences were devastating and permanent. I would never listen to my more experienced parents and family and paid the price. I pray that the youth of today avoid taking these risks but I know that many young adults consider themselves invincible as I did and will take those risks. I pray they may survive and grow from their experiences.

In my youth and early adult years I took many risks without thinking and paid the consequences but I wouldn’t change a thing about it because those experiences created the person I am now and I’m ok with that.

Doing manly things is getting drunk, fighting, raising hell, running women-right?
I caught me a woman, but I still get to, drink, raise hell-right?

No boy, you go to work, pay bills, take care of your family
That ain't fun.
Sorry kid, that's the way it is. You find out what we've known before you were born
Well, Well, what happened to by drinking, fighting and raising hell
That ain't manly boy
It ain't
No boy, manly's doing the right thing.
It is?
Yep!

I'm glad for the stupid things I did along the way. It would be sad if my parents would've coddled me to the point that some of these kids today are. They can't drink from a garden hose. Their playgrounds are made out of safe turf. I mean my God. I remember all the scraped skin & bandaids when I was little. It was part of growing up.

My life was dangerous as a teenager but I survived it. What's the fun in being careful all the time? Some situations you just gotta take the bull by the horns & live your life.

I'm glad for the stupid things I did along the way. It would be sad if my parents would've coddled me to the point that some of these kids today are. They can't drink from a garden hose. Their playgrounds are made out of safe turf. I mean my God. I remember all the scraped skin & bandaids when I was little. It was part of growing up.

My life was dangerous as a teenager but I survived it. What's the fun in being careful all the time? Some situations you just gotta take the bull by the horns & live your life.
I was thinking the exact same thing, today, kids are wrapped in bubble wrap.

I was thinking the exact same thing, today, kids are wrapped in bubble wrap.
I see them in the stores. Their mothers constantly sanitizing their little hands. Pre-virus in case someone wants to get annoyed with my thoughts. My mother made us wash our hands when we came home. We didn't die.

It strange when you think of it. When you get to my age, you know life is short & you do your best to live as long as you can. Not for the young, they are (so they think) going to live for a long time if not forever. They take foolish chances like "having an adventure". Sadly many never make it. The following from our local paper this morning:

A 28-year-old man from the Rural Municipality of Prairie Lakes died following a Saturday afternoon collision northwest of Ninette. Police said Monday he was snowmobiling next to a road when he apparently hit a tree. The man, who was not wearing a helmet, died of his injuries in hospital.
A 20-year-old man from Churchill died Sunday morning, after snowmobiling through a back lane near Kelsey Boulevard and hitting a flat-deck semi-trailer. The man was not wearing a helmet, and died at the scene.
There's a lot to be said for, "speed kills".

When I think of some of the dumb stuff I did, while growing up, it's a wonder I survived. I never broke a bone, but my Mom had to keep a good supply of band-aids on hand.

Many of today's kids don't face the same risks....heck, you can't get them away from the TV or cell phone long enough to harm themselves.

When I think of some of the dumb stuff I did, while growing up, it's a wonder I survived. I never broke a bone, but my Mom had to keep a good supply of band-aids on hand.

Many of today's kids don't face the same risks....heck, you can't get them away from the TV or cell phone long enough to harm themselves.
Isn't that the truth!

Playtime (today) doesn't hold a LICK to the playtime I enjoyed growing up!

How about as children getting put in the back of the open bed of the pickup truck and riding like that for 60 miles. Nobody checked to see if we were still there until we arrived home.
Exactly! We explored & came across wild animals & got banged up & had a good time. I survived 54 yrs of it. There's stuff I'd still like to do like try paintball. I'd have be on a seniors team. LOL

Bad snowmobile judgment is not confined to the young. I remember my husband's Uncle PeeWee (6'3" and about 220lbs) deciding to go turkey hunting in the woods of Vermont. He went alone, didn't wear a helmet and brought along a flask to keep him warm. As far as they could tell, his snowmobile hit a tree head on. He fractured his skull and died from that and hypothermia. He was 69 years old at the time...

Back