Missing Perks

No wrapping. What can I say? I had suffered a broken foot previously that I thought was a sprain. About a year later I was told it was a break.

Anyway, with the slipping on the ice, I know anyone else would have gone to the doctor. But with one thing and another it didn't come together that way.

Several times in my life I've had to get through pain because I couldn't take time off work, etc. At least when the last incident happened I was retired and could lie down. I think I have a high pain threshold.
You obviously do

Apparently,it is very possible though. A friend in high school broke her ankle and walked around on it for a week before she went to the doc.And my own daughter walked around on her broken ankle for about 3 weeks last year before she decided to see a doc.Yep,broken.
But not a year and half. Then again it does depend on the break. I walked around on my fractured leg with no intervention, same with the fractures in my back. But an ankle, nope i could not do it. Not even for an hour. Guess it just must be me 😂

Closest to a perk was use of a company car but was on call 24/7 which was the reason for that "perk". Not once was I called after normal working hours so I guess being able to support the cost of one family car instead of two had value. No other "perks" .

Well, I was in education so there were some perks. Everyday I could listen to the class clown (Fool) tell all of us how cute he was.

Seriously though, there was a week off at Christmas, another week off during Spring Break and those wonderful 2 months off in July and August when I could go traveling. Now, that I'm retired my holiday is 365 days/year and I can do what I want. So, my perks are pretty good these days.

"Perks"? What are these "perks" you speak of? Now every year when National Secretaries' Day came around I had the "honor" of buying something for the boss, because "that's the way we do it here." And, "You don't drink coffee, huh? Well, it's your job to make it anyway." And much-more-highly-paid-than-I college professors helping themselves to any food (lunch, snack, etc.) we had on our desks without asking. So would those be these perks you speak of?

"Perks"? What are these "perks" you speak of? Now every year when National Secretaries' Day came around I had the "honor" of buying something for the boss, because "that's the way we do it here." And, "You don't drink coffee, huh? Well, it's your job to make it anyway." And much-more-highly-paid-than-I college professors helping themselves to any food (lunch, snack, etc.) we had on our desks without asking. So would those be these perks you speak of?
You worked for academics? Sometimes, they can be the worst! One of the reasons I left academia. Loved the students, not necessarily my colleagues.

I use to be sent to Vegas for the CES convention every year, all expenses paid. Some might call that a perk but I called it an anxiety ridden weekend ! That was back in my drinking days and thankfully that expense was covered too ! I did get some courtesy bags at that convention though , filled with nice gadgets that tech geeks like me liked.

Holiday parties were always nice too ! I think most companies don't have an open bar for Christmas parties anymore. Probably a good thing they don't :)

Last edited:
While working at Baxter I also got to meet some VIP's

Bush at Baxter.jpg

Our facility was next door to El Toro Marine Base in CA where Air Force One touched down one day.

You worked for academics? Sometimes, they can be the worst! One of the reasons I left academia. Loved the students, not necessarily my colleagues.
Yep. Not too long before I retired, another one of the office workers told me that she had seriously told her 2 daughters that she'd rather they become prostitutes than office workers; she told 'em they'd be treated better as pro's.

Yep. Not too long before I retired, another one of the office workers told me that she had seriously told her 2 daughters that she'd rather they become prostitutes than office workers; she told 'em they'd be treated better as pro's.
Clearly she had no understanding what prostitutes' lives or their Johns are actually like. (I lived in an area of Hollywood rife with prostitutes for a while - these young women frequently sported bruises and black eyes. They'd been through the wringer, believe me. None looked remotely like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.)

When I worked for extremely difficult or abusive bosses, I found new jobs.

Clearly she had no understanding what prostitutes' lives or their Johns are actually like. (I lived in an area of Hollywood rife with prostitutes for a while - these young women frequently sported bruises and black eyes. They'd been through the wringer, believe me. None looked remotely like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.)

OH! You are saying Hollywood lies? NO, tell me it ain't so!

these young women frequently sported bruises and black eyes. They'd been through the wringer, believe me.
That poor co-worker (and others including me), in spite of being extremely hard workers, received more than one "emotional" bruise and black eye. I myself was told once that if I had wanted to be treated decently in this life that I should have gotten a college degree. Although the jobs I had before working with blue-collar, "uneducated" men did have some sexual harassment, there was much more of that at the job working with the academics.

Not easy when you live in a town that basically offers only jobs at that university or waitressing (which paid nowhere near what the univ. did). And if you have kids to support..."Guess what, kids! We're moving out of this house into an apartment because Mom has a difficult boss?" Uh huh.

That poor co-worker (and others including me), in spite of being extremely hard workers, received more than one "emotional" bruise and black eye. I myself was told once that if I had wanted to be treated decently in this life that I should have gotten a college degree. Although the jobs I had before working with blue-collar, "uneducated" men did have some ****** harassment, there was much more of that at the job working with the academics.

Not easy when you live in a town that basically offers only jobs at that university or waitressing (which paid nowhere near what the univ. did). And if you have kids to support..."Guess what, kids! We're moving out of this house into an apartment because Mom has a difficult boss?" Uh huh.
That must have been very difficult. :(

That must have been very difficult.
And what would also have been difficult is to have to say to her kids, "Hey girls? Don't even think about asking me to even-once-in-a-while babysit any grandkids you might provide me. When I left that job with the difficult boss and gave up the retirement that went along with it, I'll now be having to work 'till I'm 85. Sorry."

Never had perks in any jobs I had aside from donkeys years ago when I worked as a Lab tech for an International Pharmaceutical company ..one Day a month they opened up a little store inside the factory and sold

..as a 16 year old I ran away from my abusive living situation, and found myself in another city and being housed in a Salvation army hostel for women. The stipulation was that you had to pay your way to stay there so they didn't accept any homeless unless they had some kind of income.
One woman who was in her 30's more than double my age..in fact my mother's age at the time, was living in the hostel and plying her trade prostituting at night... I was only 16 I'd never met a prostitute before.. being so young she only told me a little of her story.. but she had been abused by men so many times.. she'd tried to take her own life on several occasions.. and had the knife scars all the way up each arm .. but what I'll never forget are the embedded rope marks around her neck, where she'd tried to end her life and failed .

I often wondered after I left the SAH what happened to her

Back