More worrying news for the child's best interests brigade in the UK

I believe a parent's love for a child is very important. I can't really understand how any parent doesn't show that love to their kids. I have 2 children and my life and my husband's life revolved around our children. A new neighbor moved into our neighborhood and she had a daughter and no husband. When I saw that the little girl was always home alone, I felt very bad for the child. I asked the mother if I could watch the daughter and the mother said yes. So I watched the little girl every day during the summer and took her back and forth to school when the school opened in September. After a while, they moved. A few years ago when I joined Facebook the girl reached out to me. I still cry when I remember what she told me. She said she never knew what love was until she met me. She said she couldn't believe the love she felt when she was at my house. The love I had for my family and the love I shared with her. She is a Mom now and she thanked me for teaching her how a Mom should love their children.

I believe a parent's love for a child is very important. I can't really understand how any parent doesn't show that love to their kids. I have 2 children and my life and my husband's life revolved around our children. A new neighbor moved into our neighborhood and she had a daughter and no husband. When I saw that the little girl was always home alone, I felt very bad for the child. I asked the mother if I could watch the daughter and the mother said yes. So I watched the little girl every day during the summer and took her back and forth to school when the school opened in September. After a while, they moved. A few years ago when I joined Facebook the girl reached out to me. I still cry when I remember what she told me. She said she never knew what love was until she met me. She said she couldn't believe the love she felt when she was at my house. The love I had for my family and the love I shared with her. She is a Mom now and she thanked me for teaching her how a Mom should love their children.
❤️ Oh my gosh, what a beautiful story ❤️. I don’t think we ever realize how we might have touched someone’s s life. How marvelous that she sought you out and told you. And how generous YOU were to take her into your lives at the time. This is just a beautiful love story all the way around!!!❤️

❤️ Oh my gosh, what a beautiful story ❤️. I don’t think we ever realize how we might have touched someone’s s life. How marvelous that she sought you out and told you. And how generous YOU were to take her into your lives at the time. This is just a beautiful love story all the way around!!!❤️

I love the fact that I was able to have that girl at my house. She was a year younger than my son. When they got older they even dated but her Mom made her breakup with my son when he was starting college. She said he would meet someone prettier than she was, and drop her. My son was devastated. Then she sent her daughter to college in California and never let the daughter come home even to visit. Fortunately, the girl married a good man and has 2 precious children. Sometimes some people should never have children.

Graham...you sound as if you have some very unresolved issues. The fact is, all we know is what you tell us and unfortunately every story has two sides. A parent may love a child to bits, but is that parent the right person for a child to spend most of his or her time?
Yes of course "a child needs love", and there are many who would love a child, not only the parents. When it comes to the Courts and Family Law, that is just not enough when considering the ruling "in the best interests of the child." It may seem clinical and unfair when a decision is made to place a child with one parent instead of the other. The important thing is, cherish each and every moment you have with her. Make it fun, because children pick up on your moods and it affects them.

I've chosen to try to revive this thread, and respond to the above post again, because I've found an attachment I believe sums up the predicament faced by so many parents, especially fathers "doing their best", as we're being lectured in the albeit friendly manner above, (where all kinds of assumptions are being made by a "professional" for example, as to whether we knew or didn't know, how to love and cherish our own children):

To do list.1.jpg

I'm not sure how to answer the Zen like question of who loves kids when parents are prevented from doing so. I have to agree with Dana, "Graham...you sound as if you have some very unresolved issues. ".
If I do my views on the weaknesses in the family law providing such weak protection of parental rights may still stand, (in the UK we've got no "statute rights" btw, as in rights written down in law rather than "common law rights", not written down but reflecting the way courts choose to treat parents in intact families etc.), and all those parents/fathers/grandparents protesting about family law in your country and mine cant all be wrong or "have unresolved issues" can they, ever so easy though it is to accuse people of that fault.

I believe without a doubt that most young children self-harm and commit suicide, is due to Bullying at school and on Social media.
Parents are too busy to monitor their children online and conversation about what is going on in school is brushed under the rug as a right of passage.
Teachers do jack $**T about it, and the age of the children is getting younger and younger.
i think the parents are so lost in their own self absorption on their phones that they aren't paying attn either. i've noticed around here they either nitpick the kids to death or they pay them no mind at all.

i think the parents are so lost in their own self absorption on their phones that they aren't paying attn either. i've noticed around here they either nitpick the kids to death or they pay them no mind at all.
I've seen another cartoon recently you might find amusing so far as the obsession people have with their mobile phones, you could say they're a "blight upon us all"! :)

I've seen another cartoon recently you might find amusing so far as the obsession people have with their mobile phones, you could say they're a "blight upon us all"! :)
Some technology is great. But the cellphones are definitely a blight.

Graham...you sound as if you have some very unresolved issues. The fact is, all we know is what you tell us and unfortunately every story has two sides. A parent may love a child to bits, but is that parent the right person for a child to spend most of his or her time?

Yes of course "a child needs love", and there are many who would love a child, not only the parents. When it comes to the Courts and Family Law, that is just not enough when considering the ruling "in the best interests of the child." It may seem clinical and unfair when a decision is made to place a child with one parent instead of the other. The important thing is, cherish each and every moment you have with her. Make it fun, because children pick up on your moods and it affects them.
Yes, he is still very bitter about what happened and, as you say, we only hear his side of things. His ex-wife might paint a totally different picture.
Sorry to get personal grahamg, but whatever subject we discuss on here, you always manage to bring up the custody battle you had.

Yes, he is still very bitter about what happened and, as you say, we only hear his side of things. His ex-wife might paint a totally different picture.
Sorry to get personal grahamg, but whatever subject we discuss on here, you always manage to bring up the custody battle you had.
It wasn't a custody battle, it was an access to one's child dispute that you're forming a strident opinion upon, and don't think I haven't heard the "we've only heard one side of the argument" position before, but where are the "two(/three) sides, if I'm going to state my ex. was the superior parent, loved our daughter as much as I did, " if not more", and I felt fortunate to have the cooperation I did for ten years over contact with my daughter?

Find me someone who thinks there is another side to those statements, and I assure you, difficult as it was to deal with my ex., (my legal team thinking she was exceptionally difficult, and when our child was born the hospital staff put my wife in a large room on her own no less, so awkward did they find her!).

However, "greatness has come from our unequal union and marriage in the form of our very successful and popular child", and all you can do in criticising me, or feeling there must be more criticism to come, is suggest I shouldn't have done as I did so far as being a father, reinforcing the view I/we don't know what we're doingdoing as fathers, (I'm telling you btw my daughter says "I ruined the first twelve years of her life, don't let him ruin the next twelve", but do you think a child so badly treated as she claimed would pass every milestone with flying colours, and up to twelve years of age I'd be told, " I hate you", followed by "Keep coming daddy"!?).

In a sense telling a parent they shouldn't have done or decided for themselves what they should have done, (or ex's do this), is deny a close interpersonal and loving relationship between a father and their child, ("gatekeeper behaviour" professionals choose to call it).

No one tells you what you should say or do so far as your husband/partner is concerned, "it is ridiculous to suggest such a thing", (again where there's no abuse, and none was alleged by either side relating to my child), and yet tearing into a parent, especially a dad is fair game, so no I'm not listening, whether I have "issues" or not!

One notable fathers rights campaigner in the UK probably did have what you'd call "issues" when denied contact with his three daughters, and I'd suggest he'd have gone completely mad had he not campaigned as hard as he did against our family law system. In the end one of his daughters came to live with her dad, aged sixteen, and by then he understood the legal system well enough to phone a judge in London who is available for the purooe and have a court order faxed to him, once the judge had spoken to the daughter, before the police arrived at his door, (his child having had to put her belongings in a bin bag when she left her mothers home. So yes, there are plenty of folks/men/fathers out there with "issues" but don't be kidded were about to accept the family law system isn't skewed/wrong/unworkable, injurious to many children, and treating parents/fathers as I was treated, "with all the advantages I had" means other children don't get all the boost I did when complying with her wishes to "Keep coming daddy" (though I couldn't have done it under current family law).

Back