Most famous actors in a single movie?

Like Dumb and Dumber d'ya mean?

One of the greatest achievements of the 20th century!

Haven't done a fact check on it but sure I read that we were producing movies here before Hollywood was. We just didn't market it as well apparently.

That would be an interesting piece of research ...

There are quite a lot of Aussies scattered through Hollywood now, mostly behind the cameras but at least 4 US TV series are headed by Aussie actors that most Americans didn't know weren't their own. The Mentalist, Simon Baker. Longmire, Robert Taylor, Without a Trace, Anthony Lapaglia. Unforgetable, Poppy Montgomery. (Who also played Marilyn Monroe)
Then there was Heath Leger, Rod Taylor, (who?) George Lazenby (who?) and someone else... lemme think.. oh yes, Errol Flynn.:playful:

Let's play "First Thing That Comes To Mind" ...

The Mentalist - TV show?
Longmire - no idea
Without A Trace - one of those crime shows?
Unforgettable - I didn't know it in the first place
Heath Ledger - flash-in-the-pan junkie
Rod Taylor - sang "Tonight's The Night" and collected girls' panties
George Lazenby - has the distinction of being perhaps the worst Bond ever
Errol Flynn - the swashbuckling poofter? :p

That's OK Phil .... we're ahead of the rest of the world in most things. ;)

The civilian aviation industry's first flight data recorder.
Over the horizon radar.
The rotary clothes hoist.
The rotary mower.
The Sarich orbital engine. (Seems we do a lot of going round in circles)
The utility vehicle, based on a sedan (ute) .... you Yanks copied it and called it a pickup.
Network data packet technology.

... etc, etc

I can't find any definitive answers to which movie had most 'stars' in it, like us I guess there's no hard fast rule for 'famous'.

Found a few mentioned though that had a 'star studded cast'. A Bridge too Far, The Ocean's 11/12/13 franchise, Pulp Fiction (mmm??) and one I thought of earlier and forgot about again.. The Towering Inferno.
Paul Newman
Richard Chamberlain
Jennifer Jones
Fred Astaire
Steve McQueen
Robert Vaughn
Robert Wagner
Faye Dunaway
William Holden
OJ Simpson
Mike Lookinland (same kid who played Bobby Brady)
Susan Blakely
Dabney Coleman

Of the 126 actors in Longest Day ... 42 were international stars.

And of Mad, Mad Worlds 81 actors and actresses I recognized roughly 3/4 and knew the names of 1/2.

What constitutes an "International" star, vs. just "a star"? How do they determine their international appeal? Box office proceeds in Dubai?

And of Mad, Mad Worlds 81 actors and actresses I recognized roughly 3/4 and knew the names of 1/2.

What constitutes an "International" star, vs. just "a star"? How do they determine their international appeal? Box office proceeds in Dubai?

Beats me!!! ....:nothingtoadd: ..lol

Beats me!!! ....:nothingtoadd: ..lol

LOL!

Honesty - it's so refreshing!

I guess I'm part stereotypical American, thinking that everyone in the world knows all the same movie stars as I do.

I came across a funny article from a few months back that defines "5 of Hollywood's Biggest International Stars" -

* Bruce Lee
* Jackie Chan
* Marion Cotillard (WHO?!?)
* Zhang Ziyi
* Chow Yun-fat

Now I think everyone has probably heard or seen Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, certainly Bruce.

Marion Cotillard - I had to Google her to find out what she's done. Certainly not my idea of an "international star".

Zhang and Chow - unless you're into the martial arts genre I doubt you'd even recognize these names, so again, "International"?

Chow Young-fat has been in loads of movies, he is one of my favorite actors! but I do like chop-socky movies.

He was even in one of the Pirates of The Carribean movies.

What really amazes me is wondering who the heck all of the "new" actors are. Never heard of 'em and they're fabulously famous. Of course, I haven't been actually paying attention. Ahhhh, time whizzing by . . .

Here's a pic of two of my hometowns old movie houses programs. These are from my collection. Nothing really to do with thread but a little reminiscing. Smalleys was 14 cents and Colonia was high class, 16 cents.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 9
LOL!

Honesty - it's so refreshing!

I guess I'm part stereotypical American, thinking that everyone in the world knows all the same movie stars as I do.

I came across a funny article from a few months back that defines "5 of Hollywood's Biggest International Stars" -

* Bruce Lee
* Jackie Chan
* Marion Cotillard (WHO?!?)
* Zhang Ziyi
* Chow Yun-fat

Now I think everyone has probably heard or seen Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, certainly Bruce.

Marion Cotillard - I had to Google her to find out what she's done. Certainly not my idea of an "international star".

Zhang and Chow - unless you're into the martial arts genre I doubt you'd even recognize these names, so again, "International"?

Had to Google Marion Cotillard to. How embarrassing!. I saw her last night and had no idea of her name. Coincidentally La Vie en Rose was broadcast here last night and caught the last half hour of it. I've seen it before, love Edith Piaf's songs and was knocked out by the portrayal of her in the movie but never knew the actress' name.

We do tend to judge the world from our own viewpoint, I guess if sheer fan numbers was an indication some Indian or Chinese actors would trump 'ours' hands down for famous.

There was an article here a few years ago which shook us a bit. "Who is the most recognized/famous Australian?"
It was some soccer player who most of us had vaguely heard of in the sports section of the News but had no idea what he even looked like.
He was big time in the European and Asian Soccer world but relatively few Aussies give a toss about soccer. That must have shattered a few egos in the political and entertainment games.

My favorite Aussies...well except for the forum members from there. :)

Guy Pearce (even though he was born in England, he moved to Australia when he was 3)
Geoffrey Rush
Anthony LaPaglia
Hugh Jackman
Hugo Weaving
Chris Hemsworth
Judith Anderson
Nick Cave

Judith Anerson is news to me, didn't even know she was born here.
We have a few other girls who have won 'gongs' in Hollywood. Toni Collette, Cate Blanchette and Rachel Griffiths, I think they all made it for talent rather than looks, they are great actresses. Wish they'd shut up about politics though, what is it with movie stars and politics?

Judith Anerson is news to me, didn't even know she was born here.
We have a few other girls who have won 'gongs' in Hollywood. Toni Collette, Cate Blanchette and Rachel Griffiths, I think they all made it for talent rather than looks, they are great actresses. Wish they'd shut up about politics though, what is it with movie stars and politics?
Dame Judith Anderson was born Frances Margaret Anderson on February 10, 1897 in Adelaide, South Australia. She began her acting career in Australia before moving to New York in 1918.

Hugh Jackman is a HUGE cricket fan and was interviewed during the lunch break at the Boxing Day test in Melbourne yesterday. My DIL had me record it because he's he "second favourite" man. I thought it should have been at least third favourite. ;)

Back