Movie & TV Remakes - Better Or Worse

Lee

I like the remake of the Magnum PI series and think it just as good if not better than the original. Love the twist in having the Higgins character as a woman this time around, Perdita Weeks certainly does the job well, love the chemistry between her and Magnum.

Watched an original of the movie Back Street the other night, not impressed, Susan Hayward played it better than Margaret Sullavan hands down.

Any thoughts on whether series or movies should be made or left alone?

Depends on when the original was made and if the story line was true to the book, presuming there was one. There also have been more than 2 remakes of some movies. You've Got Mail comes to mind. The original was I believe in the 30s which I saw on some late movie channel (I forget its title), another was made in the 40s with Van Johnson and named Little Shop Around the Corner, and then the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan version. I preferred the latter frankly. Not always the case though.

I have watched the original 9 years of Hawaii Five-O with another 3 years waiting for me. A newer version of that show has been made. I would never watch it. The newer actors just have dirty faces, swear & show a lot of unnecessary SEX. Can't imagine a newer version of "The Waltons" or "All In The Family". You can't copy John Boy or Archie Bunker. Copy cats are just that copy cats. The originals are always the best. Ditto for "Gunsmoke".

I have watched the original 9 years of Hawaii Five-O with another 3 years waiting for me. A newer version of that show has been made. I would never watch it. The newer actors just have dirty faces, swear & show a lot of unnecessary SEX.

You hit the nail on the head there, seems there is a lot more sex in newer versions or for a lot of shows.

One thing that is starting to irk me on the new version of Macgyver is the constant "girl fights". The guys don't fight much any more....they leave it to the ladies.

I like most shows and movies as originals. I can't really think of anything I liked as a remake, and also some shows where they branch off to different cities or such as your 911's or NCIS's... not a big fan of the branch off of those either...

"Of Human Bondage" was done three times on film. First was Betty Davis in 1934. She adlibbed the "I wipe my mouth" dialogue in one of the most critical scenes. Eleanor Parker followed in 1946. Last film version was in 1964 starring Kim Novak (the most beautiful woman in the world). Remakes have become "versions" in todays world. Examples like Rocky, Aliens, Terminator and the Transformers and have no connection to artistic quality rather, only profit dollars. Thankfully some classics like Casablanca have not been made over

To date, there isn't so much as a single remake I've watched where I can honestly say that I liked, with some being complete and utter flops in my view.

With the originals clearly etched in my memory, nothing compares to the classics. I know, I'm old-fashioned. :)

A few nights ago, the original "Yours, Mine, and Ours" was on- Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda. Was much better than the remake. Same opinion with "A Raisin in the Sun"- it just wasn't the same without Sidney Poitier.
The remake I really hated though was "The Stepford Wives"- it had little to do with the original story.

The idea of 'rebooting' old TV shows is a lame excuse in my opinion.Its too bad these talented writers/producers couldn't come up with something original for TV viewers
Two comedies which I really liked the 1st time they aired on network TV,CBS's Murphy Brown '88-'98,NBC's 'Will&Grace' '98-'06 were rebooted.I watched a couple episodes of each show, didn't find them funny as the 1st time even with some of the orginal cast members
Once was enough

Can't comment on any tv shows as I haven't watched network tv now for about 11 years. However, I did like the movie "A Guy Named Joe" with Spencer Tracy and I also enjoyed the re-make called "Always" with Richard Dreyfuss.
Just recently, I watched Burt Reynolds in the movie "Heat" 1987, and then watched Jason Statham in a re-make called "wild card" 2015. It wasn't too bad as it pretty much stuck to the original script. I'm sorry to say that the same can't be said about his re-do of the movie "The Mechanic", in 2011.
Sorry Jason... you ain't no Bronson.

Nothing really comes to mind in a remake that I can truly say I have enjoyed more than the original. That being said some of the remakes haven't been horrible to watch. One movie that comes to mind and I do think this actor is terrific is Willy Wonka. The remake with Johnny Depp just did not work for me and maybe it is just that Gene Wilder as Wonka and Jack Albertson as Grandpa Joe were just fantastic in the original.

I like Jeff Bridges in RIPD and True Grit#2.
It is difficult to find someone who can pull off be a
growly, ornery old fart, Bridges did well.
John Wayne played John Wayne so long we anticipated and expected him to remain himself.
Bridges has a wider range, he can play roles which do not
include being himself.

Last edited:
The idea of 'rebooting' old TV shows is a lame excuse in my opinion.Its too bad these talented writers/producers couldn't come up with something original for TV viewers
Two comedies which I really liked the 1st time they aired on network TV,CBS's Murphy Brown '88-'98,NBC's 'Will&Grace' '98-'06 were rebooted.I watched a couple episodes of each show, didn't find them funny as the 1st time even with some of the orginal cast members
Once was enough
The Murphy Brown reboot was a ghastly embarrassment. I cannot believe Candice needed the money, that badly, but she may have "issues" I know nothing about.

Back