Moving Progress

Do you have a target date to switch houses?
Nothing set in stone. I really need to get my bookcases/knickknack shelves up there so I can start unburdening the floors of boxes. When I get around to moving my bed and computer, I'll consider myself moved. I'm not sure how to go about transferring cable service to the new house. I don't want to set it up before I need it. There is an electronic device in the basement with a blue blinking light on it. That may be realted to the cable the previous owner had. I don't have anything like that on my current system. My TV plugs directly into the cable line after passing through a DTA box. My phone and computer have separate modems.

Nothing set in stone. I really need to get my bookcases/knickknack shelves up there so I can start unburdening the floors of boxes. When I get around to moving my bed and computer, I'll consider myself moved. I'm not sure how to go about transferring cable service to the new house. I don't want to set it up before I need it. There is an electronic device in the basement with a blue blinking light on it. That may be realted to the cable the previous owner had. I don't have anything like that on my current system. My TV plugs directly into the cable line after passing through a DTA box. My phone and computer have separate modems.
I would just call the cable company and give them the date to make the switch.

I’m sure it will be no problem for them to sort it out.

Last edited:
Rent a roll-off or hire a clean-out service?

I did contact my trash company and got their prices for roll-offs. Problem is - there is so much they won't accept, and right now, I'm not sure what I'll have or how much and I don't know if their prices are reasonable.

This is a clean-out company that it fairly close to me that has good ratings. Again, don't know how much they charge and I wouldn't want them to come and give an estimate when everything is still undecided.

https://igetjunk.com/

Here are the trash company's roll-off prices:

roll-off.jpg

At the apartment stuff not acceptable to put on the dumpster is put off to the side and they have another company come pick all that stuff up. Unless it’s useable, if it’s useable other residents take that stuff. All the large black plastic tubs we put out were taken.

And I saw a family closely examine what looked like a nice sofa and take it. Sometimes people just don’t want to move something.

I think @debodun is doing a wonderful job. I would have trouble letting things go as well. Actually I wouldn't even get that far. I wouldn't know where to start with such a major undertaking as moving.
I have enough trouble trying to decide if I want tea or coffee with my breakfast. lol
I admire people like @debodun and @Marie5656 they are an inspiration.

Oh gee thanks. Not sure I am worthy of the compliment. I just like to stay positive and push forward.

@debodun When I hired Two Guys and a Truck, I liked the fact that while loading their truck, they also threw stuff into the roll off for me. They had just asked I put roll off stuff together, best I could, or mark clearly stuff that was being dumped.
I had a smaller house than you, and the person who helped me clean and pack, before move day, helped me empty one room in the house, and we put all the dumpster stuff in that room. And I just put a sign on the door that said ALL TO DUMPSTER

Last edited:
I don't post often but I do try to read many of the threads. Deb, I honestly applaud you. Packing, moving, unpacking, and everything in between that goes with changing from one residence to another is such a massive job. And here you are doing it on your own. I did something similar about seven years ago but probably with less stuff. But honestly, I couldn't see myself doing the same now.

I hope your new home envelops you with warmth, peace, safety, happiness and, most of all, wonderful memories.

@debodun a bit OT. I know you are also here in NY, where we no longer have the mask mandates, but your movers may still have them. I told mine that while they were at my house working, the did not have to wear the masks and I would simply stay outside, or in other rooms of the house.
Here at my apartment building, though they were required to mask up. But all of that will depend on your personal comfort level.
When the moving company called me a few days later to check up on how the guys did, I did tell the lady I had allowed them to not mask in my house. She said that was fine

When are you going to call Dolly Parton & tell her to come & pick up her boots she forgot during her visit?
front bedroom2.jpg

Another place to get great boxes are pharmacies. Their drugs are packed in very sturdy boxes. Whenever I have moved my daughter has saved them for me. They just throw them away and would love people to take them. Between her and the liquor store I keep a few on hand to pack away items I want to store.

Rent a roll-off or hire a clean-out service?

I did contact my trash company and got their prices for roll-offs. Problem is - there is so much they won't accept, and right now, I'm not sure what I'll have or how much and I don't know if their prices are reasonable.

This is a clean-out company that it fairly close to me that has good ratings. Again, don't know how much they charge and I wouldn't want them to come and give an estimate when everything is still undecided.

https://igetjunk.com/

Here are the trash company's roll-off prices:

View attachment 181379
I would try some sort of free for all weekend first.

If you have a few leftovers you might be able to add a few items to your weekly trash collection over the next few months. Most of the things will probably be picked up by scavengers before the trash man arrives.

unpacking
I wish. Not much unpacked. Can't progress too much until I can get my bookcases and curio shelves moved. Today it was mostly a winter coat move and what was on the floor of the upstairs walk-through closet. I can't get over how small the bathrooms are in the new house - probably about 20 sq ft. When one realtor looked at my old house, she exlaimed" WOW! Your bathroom is HUGE!" It's a L-shaled room, probably 100 sq ft.

My energy is rapidly flagging. When I first started moving, I was taking two carloads a day to my new house. After about 10 days, it was one carload. This morning I started out with exuberant intent, but after sorting through things the back porch, I was too exhausted to load the car and drive up there. I filled my trash bin to overflowing. though.

My energy is rapidly flagging. When I first started moving, I was taking two carloads a day to my new house. After about 10 days, it was one carload. This morning I started out with exuberant intent, but after sorting through things the back porch, I was too exhausted to load the car and drive up there. I filled my trash bin to overflowing. though.
Deb,

Maybe it’s time to call the movers.
1631901144169.jpeg

good work, but I agree with Aunt Bea... time to call the movers, don't make yourself ill with this...

Another place to get great boxes are pharmacies. Their drugs are packed in very sturdy boxes. Whenever I have moved my daughter has saved them for me. They just throw them away and would love people to take them. Between her and the liquor store I keep a few on hand to pack away items I want to store.
When we moved here in 1998, I got tons of boxes from liquor stores as per suggestion from a friend. They are quite sturdy. Great for glassware.

Back