My 90 year old Mom Tested Positive

Max said the most recent letter I sent her was on her bedside table. Her nurse had obviously read it to her, but Max read it to her again. When it came to the part about my foster son being returned to his mother (I have to repeat that in every letter) Mom's face crunched-up, as he put it. :)

edit: Max, my brother
The memory can be such a fleeting thing under the circumstances. That's very special that she is so touched by the situation with your foster son.

Very sad news, Murrmurr, so sorry. It has been a hard few months for you and now this. Sometimes it seems that our griefs and sorrows are never ending in this ever changing world. Your mother sounds like a wonderful person.

Shame on that incompetent care home management. Seeing that the letter was read to her, the staff must be more caring.
My brother said her day nurse is a really nice guy and he likes our mom because she keeps him laughing. If mom saw you in a bad mood she always assumed you either needed to eat more or you needed to laugh more, so she'd bring you a big plate of food and sit right at your shoulder and tell you funny stories, covering both bases.

I am so sorry about your mom having covid, at this point in everything. :(

I loved the stories you told us and posted, about what kind of person she is, and some of the things she did, during her lifetime, that were so special and uniquely herself, and her positive effects on others.
I'm glad you are sharing those with us.
Take care of yourself, too.

I'm so very sorry. With Covid rampant, I don't know that anyone can be blamed. Not informing you is beyond wrong however. She could pull through. There is no reason to who does and doesn't it seems. I hope she is not suffering. I'm sorry for all you are going through.

I'm so very sorry. With Covid rampant, I don't know that anyone can be blamed. Not informing you is beyond wrong however. She could pull through. There is no reason to who does and doesn't it seems. I hope she is not suffering. I'm sorry for all you are going through.
Thank you Remy.

I just have to mention; I know that's 2 cats on your icon, but it looks like a two-headed cat to me. I do a double-take every time. :LOL:

I'm so deeply sorry from the bottom of my heart for your Mom.
How deeply saddened you and your family must be feeling.
And having your sister not without her challenge.
I so hope you will be allowed to have quality time with her.
Sounds like she raised very loving children.
Know that we are all here for you in support and anything that could make things more bearable for you and your family.
TAKE CARE.

Wow. This is an eye opener for me. Prayers to your mom and your family. Btw, my dad turned 90 last March also. I know we have talked about the dementia thing before and this really makes me cautious. I'm am so sorry for what is going on with your mom. My heart goes out to you all.

My sister visited mom last night and made some calls this morning. She found out that mom tested pos for covid clear back on Dec 21st!! and no one told us! Moreover, mom's hospice people said they didn't know either, but they're supposed to be checking in on her once a week! So wth happened there I do not know, but all 3 of us have called to chew them out. How does hospice not know? If they did know then they're lying and they failed to inform us too!

Anyway, Sis said the doctor told her mom is not expected to last another day or two. She's conscious but still refusing food and drink. Hospice said they are considering keeping her comfortable with copious doses of morphine. CONSIDERING???? Give her the morphine already!! wth??

Wow. This is an eye opener for me. Prayers to your mom and your family. Btw, my dad turned 90 last March also. I know we have talked about the dementia thing before and this really makes me cautious. I'm am so sorry for what is going on with your mom. My heart goes out to you all.
Thank you, Mark. Today I'm starting to suspect the care home staff has taken advantage of her memory issues and inability to call us herself. She's been unable to use a phone for some time now. It seemed like such a great place for her but can't say I'd recommend it at this point.

So sorry to hear that she's going in this manner. I work with dementia patients and it's not usually as sad for most families at the end (as opposed to a sudden, unexpected cause) due to the years of loss of mental capacity. But for it to happen in this way, with no immediate notification of her illness, adds a layer of emotional distress above and beyond her loss. Praying for you and yours.

I know my mom isn't afraid and looking forward to being with my dad who passed away in 2007. That's a huge comfort.
Awww... what a beautiful heart your Mom had and now she is blessed to be with your Dad. Yes, I understand the comfort you must feel as my mom was was not afraid either and told me she "just wanted to be in Jesus' arms". I was also very comforted knowing that.

Your mother was so much like mine and we can be so very grateful for that. May you be comforted by your family during this difficult time. You Mom led a good long life as did my mom. Peace be with you my friend🌱🕊️🌿

d0bdb1b0-6d4e-441f-b22e-c7e5debb96cc.jpeg @Murrmurr My deepest sympathy for the loss of your MOM.
When you find yourself smiling for no apparent reason......that's your MOM's MEMORY.
If your feel arms around you when there's no one there......that's your MOM"s EMBRACE.
If you feel sudden warmth.......that's your MOM's LOVE.
TAKE CARE.......GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Back