My 90 year old Mom Tested Positive

My sister visited mom last night and made some calls this morning. She found out that mom tested pos for covid clear back on Dec 21st!! and no one told us! Moreover, mom's hospice people said they didn't know either, but they're supposed to be checking in on her once a week! So wth happened there I do not know, but all 3 of us have called to chew them out. How does hospice not know? If they did know then they're lying and they failed to inform us too!

Anyway, Sis said the doctor told her mom is not expected to last another day or two. She's conscious but still refusing food and drink. Hospice said they are considering keeping her comfortable with copious doses of morphine. CONSIDERING???? Give her the morphine already!! wth??
Large amounts of morphine are end of life drugs and usually a family member has to okay anyone initiating that treatment. Nevertheless, condolences to you and the family on the loss of your sweet mom, Murr. When all is said and done perhaps you and the family can get some answers as to why this facility was so remiss in its alerting you regarding her tests and continuing condition. End of life, dictates that the family may be with the patient regardless. We have protective gear for that so no excuse should be accepted. Peace be with you and your loved ones and God speed to mom to join your dad.

Thank you, Phoenix. Max should be calling today about services. Not sure how they're doing them now. And our family does wakes, but we're thinking that if we wait until her birthday, which is in Sept, maybe covid restrictions will be history and we could have a full-on traditional wake plus birthday celebration.
Good idea to wait. You don't want it to be a super spreader event. Hugs.

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your mom,Murrmurr. I have stayed away from this thread until now,as I am overwhelmed with what a couple of people I know are going through. One has been in ICU for over two months. So this was the first I knew about your mom. We have had only 20 deaths in my county-not too bad,but we are a small county.But almost all have been nursing home residents. It just spreads terribly in those places. But there is no excuse for their lack of keeping her family informed,IMO.

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your mom,Murrmurr. I have stayed away from this thread until now,as I am overwhelmed with what a couple of people I know are going through. One has been in ICU for over two months. So this was the first I knew about your mom. We have had only 20 deaths in my county-not too bad,but we are a small county.But almost all have been nursing home residents. It just spreads terribly in those places. But there is no excuse for their lack of keeping her family informed,IMO.
I'm sorry to hear that some of the people you know have been very sick with Covid. It's hard. I learned a few days ago that my friend with M.S. is getting over it.

Large amounts of morphine are end of life drugs and usually a family member has to okay anyone initiating that treatment. Nevertheless, condolences to you and the family on the loss of your sweet mom, Murr. When all is said and done perhaps you and the family can get some answers as to why this facility was so remiss in its alerting you regarding her tests and continuing condition. End of life, dictates that the family may be with the patient regardless. We have protective gear for that so no excuse should be accepted. Peace be with you and your loved ones and God speed to mom to join your dad.
Maybe that was the issue. We signed end of life instructions and the DNR just before she moved in so we assumed those could be implemented without additional consent. My brother and sister visited her in the last days, in fact my brother was with her when she passed. They were suited up and everything but staff suggested they quarantine for a couple weeks anyway. Sadly, I planned to go visit her last Thursday but she died on Wednesday.

Talked to my brother just a little bit ago. Due to COVID it will be a week or 2 before we can get a funeral permit. That was hard to hear. I'm not sure why. Maybe because people feel like the sooner this part is behind us, the sooner we can move forward.

It'll be just as long before we can get a death certificate but that feels like a totally different thing. Not as personal, I guess.

My mom always said that people need to laugh every day, so that's why I've been coming here to joke around with you all, and I'm gonna keep doing that. But I wanted to show you how pretty she was so - If they loaded in proper order, the first picture is mom at age 42, second one is her at about 50 (with my dad, preparing for a Halloween party at their house), and the third was taken in 2020 (with my niece). She's 90.mom b 2020.jpg

mom age42.jpgMom and Dad-Halloween party 1973.jpg

(They're not in order but I'm sure it's easy to figure out which is which. 😊)

Talked to my brother just a little bit ago. Due to COVID it will be a week or 2 before we can get a funeral permit. That was hard to hear. I'm not sure why. Maybe because people feel like the sooner this part is behind us, the sooner we can move forward.

It'll be just as long before we can get a death certificate but that feels like a totally different thing. Not as personal, I guess.

My mom always said that people need to laugh every day, so that's why I've been coming here to joke around with you all, and I'm gonna keep doing that. But I wanted to show you how pretty she was so - If they loaded in proper order, the first picture is mom at age 42, second one is her at about 50 (with my dad, preparing for a Halloween party at their house), and the third was taken in 2020 (with my niece). She's 90.View attachment 145292

View attachment 145290View attachment 145291

(They're not in order but I'm sure it's easy to figure out which is which. 😊)
Beautiful, Mur.

As a helpful tip to you, when posting images, if you want a particular picture leading as an opener, or to rearrange several images/photos to reflect the chronology of your post, simply click on the image in question that you want to move around freely, and while holding the left mouse button down, just move the picture/image around the screen to where you want it (or them), then release the mouse button.

Ta-da, magically arranged photos/images in the order you want them.

I'm only on my second cup of coffee this morning, so if my post doesn't make sense to you, please accept my apology. :)

MurrMurr I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Wonderful Mom. Hopefully, she is in a better place and your Dad is with her and holding her hand. ❤️

Back