My Dad Died Last Night 🙁

I was sorry to see your post. I know you will miss your Dad but 95 is a long (and hopefully happy) life. My father was also 95 when he passed in 2020. It is hard to lose a parent - I'm the oldest now - yikes. Be well!
My dad was in a nursing home in a different province from me. I’ was always missing him. Now I talk to him often. It’s bittersweet but I’m relieved he’s on the other side. Death is only miserable for the ones left beside. Thank you MyQuest.
Very sad news, may he rest peacefully. My condolences to you and your family. Sending you warm thoughts, love and hugs. I know he was a good man, and you were very close. 💜

Thank you Seabreeze. He was a good man and had a good life. I envy his departure somewhat. I envy my cats departure. She knew when she was going and left so confidently and sure of herself. There was zero insecurity. How do you beat that?

So sorry for your loss, PP.
Thank you Jules
So sorry to read of your father's passing.
I hope he shared some of his life stories with you.

I asked my father when he first came to live with us to tell me about his life.
Was told he didn't want to share the bad memeoreis he had.🥲
Thanks Silver Fox
My dad shared more life stories with my husband. He spent spring and summer converting their cottage into a home. I also learned a lot from him while he was going through dementia. With dementia old memories resurface and new memories forgotten. I’m surprised he never told us about the other silver haired woman. Then again, my mom would lose it if my dad spoke sentimentally about his family. My mom was a very jealous woman.

Thank you Seabreeze. He was a good man and had a good life. I envy his departure somewhat. I envy my cats departure. She knew when she was going and left so confidently and sure of herself. There was zero insecurity. How do you beat that?
I remember your telling us about your cat, I was moved and felt some sorrow. I told my husband about her, and he felt the same. Your girl knew she had enough suffering and actively found a spot near you to lay herself down to rest. She is resting peacefully, feeling love for your sweet girl. She was blessed to have you in her life. 💜

He was 95!
Peppermint,
I lost my wife of 42 years 3 years ago. The grief was at times unbearable but I got past it. The term "Lose" is in many ways incorrect. You haven't lost your father. He is still in your memories and in your heart. Your grief shall pass and you will find yourself smiling unaware as you recall the endless number of good times you remember. My condolences. May happiness and peace come creeping back into your life soon.

:cry: So sorry to hear this @PeppermintPatty

View attachment 326527

Peace to you and your family....
Cinnamon Sugar
That’s a beautiful photo
My condolences to you Patty. Hugs from chic.

View attachment 326529
Thank you chic. Roses. This would be a rose colour /strain he’d choose. I can almost smell it. I’d say I’d miss him but I feel him right beside me. He doesn’t shut up. I know…. I’m the crazy one. lol
I'm so sorry for your lose @PeppermintPatty .
Thanks Nathan

I know this is heartbreaking for you Patty. I'm sure he counted himself among the lucky ones to have had you for his daughter. It would have been a privilege to meet him. For what it's worth, you will always have him with you. He is part of who you are, and you always have his voice and memories to recall from time to time. I hope our support here will help you a bit as you process this. 🤗
I feel very supported by the members here at this site and you bet it makes a big difference.
It felt surreal writing the post that my dad died. My dad. The guy who fixed everything.
I already feel my dad with me. He has been comforting me the last few days.
Thank you for your kind words Bob

Thank you all for your understanding in my time of loss. I’m most grateful.

It’s my father so it IS a big loss.

To me, my dad played Chopin better than Chopin. He was a brilliant pianist and I got to hear it live. I think I may have taken that for granted at times.

Even while playing outside with the neighbourhood kids, he could be heard. I ‘was’ proud of my dad in these moments.

We got the piano shortly after moving to Canada from England.
Clearly my dad wasn’t a beginner.
He sat down and played Chopin Nocturne 9 , No.2; perfectly.

Even at an early age, it sent shivers down my spine and throughout my skin. I’d never heard anything so beautiful in my life. My dad played many beautiful classical songs, mainly impromptu’s and nocturnes.

We had a solid wood floor so the sound of the piano echoed throughout the house. Chopin truly used all 66 keys

Chopin - Frantaise - Impromptus, ( Op.66 )

Claire de Lune

While writing about my dad, I shall add songs that he introduced me to in my younger years. There’s no doubt that I got my appreciation of music from my dad. My mom was tone deaf. Literally.

Besides playing classical, he played a lot of pop songs and sang . I’d stand and sing right beside him. Without knowing it I learned how to harmonize by listening to my father. He could add harmony to anything.

At 95, my dad wasn’t doing well so he’s definitely in a better place and in this place he’ll automatically know how much he was loved by myself and others.

I’m truly grateful that I was able to forgive him before he died. It took me years to learn how to forgive something so profound but I did.

Forgiveness came in layers and each layer came with new perspective and appreciation. Only when I learned to forgive , could I really know him as a person ; which he deserved.

At the moment I’m still in shock but I’d like to share all the wonderful things I’ve learned about my dad over the next few weeks. He deserves it.
Thank you for the beautiful music and for a glimpse into the life of your gifted father.

I hope the passing was easy and painless for him.
Thank you Helen

So sorry for your loss.
Thank you Lilac
Good for him. Just think you may harbor some of those genes too. Was he physically comfortable toward the end. My wife’s father lived about the same and never took any meds regularly until he was 90. I do think quality is more important than quantity but it is doubly amazing when some have both.
Haha. Oh I have some of those genes already. Thanks. lol My OCD displays itself differently but I definitely have it. I have depression from my mom’s side.

My mom went through 2 clinical depressions. One when she lost her son and another time when I had my tubes tied. She kept stating that I’d better not make her a grandmother but I think she really wanted me to have kids.

Then again, my mom couldn’t / wouldn’t ever talk ‘real’ feeling. You either talked about the weather, the dogs, the cats or poked fun of my dad cause that’s what she did.

My mom was very cynical and sarcastic. I found myself becoming like her so I gave myself a good kick in the butt. I’m too grateful to be cynical. My ‘new’ motto.

@PeppermintPatty
It's obvious he left you a legacy

It shows in your posts here
Individually thanking everyone
Remarkable
Never seen that here.....or any forum
He did leave a legacy.
Thank you for noting that.

I remember your telling us about your cat, I was moved and felt some sorrow. I told my husband about her, and he felt the same. Your girl knew she had enough suffering and actively found a spot near you to lay herself down to rest. She is resting peacefully, feeling love for your sweet girl. She was blessed to have you in her life. 💜
Our 18 year old cat did the perfect exit. The night before in a noisy storm she scoped out her final resting place which was under our shed. She did it with zero fear then came back to say her goodbyes and let us know, without a doubt that she was not coming back. At 18 years, she did quite well. Our 15 year old Yorkie went the year before but we took her to the vet to get euthanized. Three meaningful deaths within 1 1/2 years.
Thank you for remembering.
Peppermint,
I lost my wife of 42 years 3 years ago. The grief was at times unbearable but I got past it. The term "Lose" is in many ways incorrect. You haven't lost your father. He is still in your memories and in your heart. Your grief shall pass and you will find yourself smiling unaware as you recall the endless number of good times you remember. My condolences. May happiness and peace come creeping back into your life soon.
Thank you David. I’ve already smiled at her final exit. It was done so perfectly. She would have hated going to the vets office. She died exactly how she wanted to. May she rest in peace.

Last edited:
What a powerful post#67 and so beautiful in so many ways.
Thank you Lara
So glad to hear from you (((PP))). Beautiful post ❤️
Thank you Pepper
My sincere condolences and sympathies plus loads of 🤗🤗🤗🤗.

I've lost mine at 13 a month's short of my 14th birthday. He was just 57 years young. It was very suddenly... We're facing the 50th anniversary this year on Valentine's Day all alone, just me and daughter.

There's not a day since that I've missed him and made sure that he knew of my life's events.

It's difficult at any age when we lose our precious Papas. However, they're there just behind the veil watching over us, giving us reassurance in subtle ways... Blessed be!
Thank you supernatural . I’m sorry you lost your father so young. That’s too young to lose a dad. I feel my dad with me. It’s a comforting feeling.

Back