My grandmother keeps watching tv to pass the time, how do i convince her to do something else?

Hi Paulbinder and welcome, You asked, on page one, about an online bookclub. My sister has talked about GoodReads.com . She has a Kindle electronic reader but we both read regular books too. I haven't joined that site but she has recommended several "clubs" there.

One book I recommend is "The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen at 83-1/4 yrs old" It is about a gentleman in a Care Home in North Amsterdam,The Netherlands. He begins a diary to write an expose' and he is remarkably clever about describing his surroundings and fellow "inmates". He does his best to stay positive and upbeat. It is very amusing and might inspire her to consider her situation with a different outlook.? (You might enjoy it too!) There are also online crosswords or other puzzles that can be printed out or done online.

I hope you can brighten her outlook! Take her out in the sunshine :cool:

my grandmother is 77 and she was aging in place on her terms, but now she hurt her hip and is basically chairbound. her roommate (and in-law and good friend) also moved out like 3 months ago and so i noticed she started getting lonely, and basically is now watching tv all day (mostly the news)

any suggestions for what she could do instead? i feel like she's cognitively atrophying a bit and watching tv all day can't be good for her... any suggestions?
I would refer you to the thread "Do your children try to run your life?" She's doing what she wants. Not your problem.

any suggestions for what she could do instead? i feel like she's cognitively atrophying a bit and watching tv all day can't be good for her... any suggestions?
I feel like half the people I meet who are working full time in public places are cognitively atrophied. I can understand being 77 years old with a damaged hip would make it painful for her to walk and be more comfortable in a bed or chair. As far as watching TV, it's less destructive than what a lot of people are doing who are out and about. You reach an age where you see the futility in most people's frenzied activities.

There are plenty of senior centers around. Join one. Take a walk in the park once she gets something done with that hip. How about a cruise for singles, if you got the money. Maybe she could use a friend to do things with (male or female). Join a church group if your religious. Lots to do if she puts her mind to it.
How many of these things are you doing? And are you 77 with a damaged hip?

How many of these things are you doing? And are you 77 with a damaged hip?
Most folks around here have hip and also, knee replacements and just keep going. Apparently, talking to many of them, the knee replacements are harder to live with then the hip. I saw the room in the hospital when my late wife had her hip replaced. They are working like an assembly line in there with them folks each morning. The doctor comes around and puts an X on your hip (to make sure that the correct side is done) and away you go. A little nap and you wake up in your room with a new "ball and socket" in your hip. Technology is great when it benefits us; not so good when it doesn't.

If she has a hip problem she needs to see a doctor. She may need a hip replacement. I know I was having a lot of pain with my hip. They just kept giving me muscle relaxers and antiinflammatories. This was all during covid. By the time I finally had a MRI, the joint was totally shattered. Getting a new hip was a vacation compared to the pain I had before it.

Back