My grandmother keeps watching tv to pass the time, how do i convince her to do something else?

A tablet if she has wi-fi. I don't have one. Would like to because they are so easy to handle.

Reading (of coarse) puzzle books, word search, object finding, spot the difference books.

Sounds like she does have mobility issues. She could interact on forums. It can be harder if you are younger since many are geared to younger.

My mom is 89 years old. 4 years ago she kind of gave up after my brother died. She lost interest in things she used to enjoy doing. She now just watches tv most of the day. When weather permits she does sit outside and visit with the neighbors. She really enjoys television. We have suggested everything to her, but this is what she wants to do. I think she naps a lot during the day. It’s her life after all. She’s free to live it as she sees fit.

You might be concerned about the wrong thing. If she is "chair bound" what is she supposed to do? Old ladies and broken hips are not a good combination. You didn't mention what kind of care she is getting for the hip. That's priority #1. If there's a possibility of her getting back on her feet, definitely encourage her to do so. If she is permanently "chair bound", she doesn't have many options.
And, are you implying that since her roommate left, she may be depressed, which is why she watches so much tv. Depression just doesn't go away. If that's what you think, encourage her to get therapy.

Sitting all day watching the "idiot box" is really for losers! You need her to become "pro-active." (Oh, those lovely words). If she isn't loaded with tons of money and really can't go on a cruise or fly off to Europe for a month or so, there are many free or very reasonable costing activities. For example, lots of good books in the library, join a senior for coffee and "shoot the bull." I know a couple of seniors who love playing cards and do so twice each week. These same seniors love to make wine. A walk outside or in a park costs nothing but it will repay her handsomely when it comes to mental and physical health.

I'm not a big believer in volunteering but some seniors do it and love it. They feel useful and they do some good for their community. Some seniors have even taken up playing an instrument. In our local senior center there are groups that play the recorder together, another group for the harmonica and a 3rd group that call themselves, "Drums Alive." Oh yes, a 4th group plays simple ukulele songs.
Anything is better than slowly dying in front of those endless mind destroying commercials.

true! it's tough to find that balance between being helpful but at the same time not nudging in an annoying way
+1 for truth. My wife is very sedentary and is not in-tune with healthy eating choices. It is a challenge to motivate her without making her stubburn kick in. I don't want to be "that" nagging spouse, but neither do I want to be widowed.

Watching T.V. all day, especially the news, is absolutely not good for her! I had the same issue with my mom who as she aged (she was older than your grandmother is by then), just sat and watched T.V. all day, most days. She was into game shows. She did go to a senior center twice a week though where they did exercises and sometimes took day trips. My mother loved to go to Atlantic City to gamble and she went to church until she could no longer maneuver the stairs. People in her apartment building ran bus rides to AC but at some point they hardly ran the busses. By the time she was about 94, she wound up having to go into a nursing home.

Do you think she's be interested in adult coloring books? What about playing games on a tablet or device. Some of those games require strategy and brain power for sure. One can become quite engaged. If she has a computer or tablet, joining this forum is a good idea @jujube. There are interesting threads and people as well as much to learn. I'm sure she could contribute knowledge too and that helps us feel useful.

I doubt that anyone ever changes their life style, habits, sources of entertainment, etc. just because someone - even a loving member of their family - thinks they should do so. If she is not doing anything dangerous or harmful to others, let her be. You might (one time) mention some other activity that you enjoy doing, and think she might also, and after that, what she does with that information is her own business.

Teach her to use a computer. There are many forums where someone can interact with others. I am 88 and find many interesting sites.
At last some practical advice from someone who has actually tried what they are recommending and found success with it. There are always so many impractical suggestions from people who aren't in similar circumstances and have never tried what they are suggesting.

So much depends on the individual. Not everyone likes coffee shops or going for drives. Personally I hate gardening and crafts. Card games at the senior center are fine, but not during Covid times (for me anyway).

Some years ago, someone recommended coloring books, but the coloring hurt my wrist. I've tried various kinds of volunteer work, and I wouldn't recommend it, especially if a person has mobility issues. Again, this is my own personal take.

My neighbor wants to be friendly, but she wants someone to go out and do things with. I'd rather hang out on the porch or something.

But I'm not a complete party pooper. I host an online quiz game twice a week. I enjoy doing it, and the participants appreciate it. The preparation is interesting too, and takes quite a lot of time.

I practice my Spanish 5 times a week with a young man in Central America (via Telegram).

For years I've been active in a forum that's mostly young people. They are great, and it seems strange to realize that most are 30-50 years my junior. I joined Seniors Forum because I need support for aging concerns as well.

My point, if I have one, is that one person's good time might not suit another.

Last edited:
I've always thought it would be cool to have a forum where younger people can ask us old people questions. "Ask an Oldie" or whatever.
If I recall correctly, not too long ago a young man came to this forum to ask a question and got trounced on pretty hard. I don't remember what he asked but he was definitely informed he wasn't to be here until he was older.

I am now searching for an apartment where people are active. Presently, I live in what I call "the land of the living dead." Pass someone's door at 10 am, 12 noon or 2 pm and you hear the TV on. No one walks outside unless a relative comes to take them out some place. The common room is pretty well abandoned. I think they are waiting for the ambulance to come and take them away to the hospital and then to the cremation service. No coffee time here. The concept of "Happy Hour" on Friday afternoon is about as alien concept as mountain climbing on the prairies. Many of these little ole' ladies have artificial flowers by their doors and little signs that say "live, love, laugh." I see very little love here, no one laughs and if you call this living, then you are in the same boat that they are. I think this is a sad way to end your life.

Back