My Montana Western art

Are you in Taos @Gaer ? I love that area.
... we have enjoyed many trips to N.M. over the years. Such a beautiful state.
No, I'm South of Albuquerque, but if you're down this way, contact me and we'll get together! Wow! I've never thought of NM as beautiful. Around Taos is beautiful. Streams, waterfalls. but down here, dry and dusty!

Guys, I'm giving away free limited edition giclee signed Western Art prints if any of you want one. Just give me your address ina private conversation and I'll send you one!

Hey there Gaer, That is good work. I have done acrylics and the only western art I did was back in the 80's and I was encouraged by a student of Charlie Russell. I was in Montana during the early 70's and worked for a log cabin building outfit and did art and woodworking for fun. I did about 10 acrylics of cowboy art. I also wrote a lot of cowboy poetry also. I never used oils always loved the fun of acrylics.

No! Copy art is not even art, to me! I would never copy another! These are out of my head. I "see" a painting I'm supposed to bring to life, and I paint it. The painting of the Mexican, "The Patriot" was painted in less than a hour. I paint, (or sculpt) VERY QUICKLY! Too quickly, I guess. If I really took my time, I could probably do a lot better.
Me too! If it takes time I usually just Gesso over it and try something else. That is the thing I like about acrylics. One painting I did of a paint horse and Nerz Perce woman has about 5 scenes under it before I was satisfied.

Hey there Gaer, That is good work. I have done acrylics and the only western art I did was back in the 80's and I was encouraged by a student of Charlie Russell. I was in Montana during the early 70's and worked for a log cabin building outfit and did art and woodworking for fun. I did about 10 acrylics of cowboy art. I also wrote a lot of cowboy poetry also. I never used oils always loved the fun of acrylics.
Oh How wonderful! I started a thread called, "Do anyof you write poetry?" I hope you'll consider putting some cowboypeotry in there! There is another great poet from Montana who puts his poetry in that thread too! LOVE, LOVE LOVE to read it!

I had one I did a few months ago about a strange old man a few blocks away I believed was DB Cooper. I will see if I get inspired to write some new ones. Maybe find some old ones. I am thinking about doing an acrylic on hardboard of my great great grandma a Choctaw/Chickasaw.

Wow! They are so realistic. You are very talented! I have a cousin who is an artist too and she sells in galleries and at shows. My mother was talented too, but not me. I could never draw anything let alone paint a picture. Thank you for sharing here!

@Gaer I find it amazing you started painting at 65 and have accomplished so much. I never had the natural talent for art, it was something I developed on my own. I really should get out the acrylics again, but find myself wasting my days on the computer.

Have you ever been to the Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in OK City? Absolutely stunning! You should consider entering one of your works in their Prix de West competition. We went there in April, or was it May? Had the place to ourselves. Wonderful Western art, and great exhibits.

Have you ever been to the Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in OK City? Absolutely stunning! You should consider entering one of your works in their Prix de West competition. We went there in April, or was it May? Had the place to ourselves. Wonderful Western art, and great exhibits.
Thank you Carol. I've never heard of it or thought of it. Do you have a link for them? Thanks for the idea!

It was a pleasure to peruse your art. You’re very talented.

You’ve mentioned sculpting. Any that you want to display.

It was a pleasure to peruse your art. You’re very talented.

You’ve mentioned sculpting. Any that you want to display.
Thanks so much! Yes, Some of my sculptures are on the following thread:
"My favorite things to do when I'm stuck in the house."
Sculpting for bronze is my first love!

I am so sorry we did not know you when we were in Santa Fe. We would have loved to see your works in person. We took the bus up to the art colony, but nothing we saw there compares to your creations in paintings and sculptures.

I am so sorry we did not know you when we were in Santa Fe. We would have loved to see your works in person. We took the bus up to the art colony, but nothing we saw there compares to your creations in paintings and sculptures.
OMG! That is the sweetest comment! Thank you! I do have a gallery called "Whiskey Jacks Gallery" (artwork and Western antiques) but I'm down by Ruidoso. Personal message me if you get down here again!
Thanks so much!

I don't know how I missed this thread. You are an exceptionally talented artist !! My favorites so far are the picture in the middle of the first set you posted and the one on the right of the second set. I haven't painted in a long time. I didn't like working with oils because of the smells (turpentine cleanup) so I started using acrylics, but of course they can't be moved around like oils. I once saw a show, however, where a woman using acrylics had a method by which she could move them like oils. I called the art store to see if they had (whatever she used, forgot now) but they hadn't heard of it. Believe it or not, after decades, my acrylics are still viable. How big is your studio space? Is it in your home or garage?

i have a studio and gallery in a seperate building in front of my home. But, In the winter, I liike to lay a canvas on my kitchen table. I work very fast and messy.
Thank you for your compliment.

Back