My new dog

Everyday I get texted a report card on Bella from board and train. It includes pictures and training notes and corrections. Today, all day, Bella was corrected on nipping and herding. 😂😂😂. And the honeymoon is over. 🤣🤣🤣 She only bites the ones she loves. 😳

"So you brought me to my new home and you do this to me?!"😊
She was in a slightly larger crate enclosure in the breeders garage so she was right at home at my home but not cold, and she is crated at board and care. It is rare that dogs are not kept crated indoors and penned up outside; especially small dogs. The world is a dangerous place for almost every living thing.

Aneeda,, took Mac to get up dated puppy shots & micro chipped.
The shot didn't bother him.
He cried when he got the chip,, even bled..... poor baby.

Slept a lot , seems his shoulders hurt from shots ,, cried as I put him in his crate.

Hubby wants us to travel to Michigan some time this month.
Asked vet about something for Mac as he got car sick going to get shots.
She suggested children's Dramamine & some other anxiety medicine.

Did you get Bella's car seat from Amazon?

Aneeda,, took Mac to get up dated puppy shots & micro chipped.
The shot didn't bother him.
He cried when he got the chip,, even bled..... poor baby.

Slept a lot , seems his shoulders hurt from shots ,, cried as I put him in his crate.

Hubby wants us to travel to Michigan some time this month.
Asked vet about something for Mac as he got car sick going to get shots.
She suggested children's Dramamine & some other anxiety medicine.

Did you get Bella's car seat from Amazon?
I got the car seat from Petsmart, I could not find one I like on Amazon and I decided I would not buy a human baby a car seat I could not see, so I wasn’t buying my puppy a seat Icould not see. it was expensive but it is well made.

I am sorry Mac gets sick, might help if he can look out the windows 😂 helps me. Bella never even reacts to pain except once when she out stuck and I think it was the stuck part, not the pain part. I hope his shoulder is better soon. Puppies, like children, can need a baby aspirin after a shot. Poor baby.

Last edited:
Am careful what people medicine I give our pets.

After the long phone call I had with Northeast Boston Terrier Rescue,, am having second thoughts about flea , tick oils for Mac.
Will get him shot for Lyme disease,, too many deer here.

Yesterday bought a small harness to use on him .

What a treat trying to get it on him this morning.
Roll, wiggle, chew, nip,,, repeat ,over & over.
Think the one I bought is too small.

Only good thing is, he is now asleep.

Hopefully when hubby is here , we can get it on him.
Have the sales slip & didn't tear apart the cardboard it was in.

All the collars, harnesses we have were for our adult dog.

Am careful what people medicine I give our pets.

After the long phone call I had with Northeast Boston Terrier Rescue,, am having second thoughts about flea , tick oils for Mac.
Will get him shot for Lyme disease,, too many deer here.

Yesterday bought a small harness to use on him .

What a treat trying to get it on him this morning.
Roll, wiggle, chew, nip,,, repeat ,over & over.
Think the one I bought is too small.

Only good thing is, he is now asleep.

Hopefully when hubby is here , we can get it on him.
Have the sales slip & didn't tear apart the cardboard it was in.

All the collars, harnesses we have were for our adult dog.
Welcome to my world,😂, it apparently takes a village to get a harness on a puppy. It takes two of us and them we can hardly accomplish it, but I read and you have to be careful of corgi necks so harness it is. I just bought Bella medium and hope it fits. She was wearing extra small and I hate to buy the small.

I do not use any flea or tick products on Bella. We do have fleas in certain parts of the county but not where I am. When we travel with Bella, next year hopefully, we might have to use something but she will be an adult. I agree you have to be careful with puppies.

We get her back Thursday or Friday, then in a couple weeks she gets spayed. I wanted puppies but was overruled. 😢

We got the small harness on Mac this evening ,,its almost snug.
I bought another harness Sunday which has a solid piece on the chest area.
It's supposed to fit Jack Russels, Pugs.

Loose fit on Mac.
It was really hard to find a harness to fit Bella. I went on Amazon, ordered and returned about 10 of them, until I found one that fit decently. They are a lot cheaper on Amazon than in the store and easy to return so it worked out well, finally.

We redid the dog run again which meant redoing the whole side yard 🤦🏻‍♀️ so Bella would end up with some shade in the summer. A lot of work, but she can’t spend her life inside, she is too active a dog. It’s almost done, waiting for a delivery from Amazon on Wednesday.

Also gives her a lot more running room 😂 which she needs. It should work really well.

Been thinking about an outside kennel for Mac.
Problem is most of our yard has a slope to it.

We live beside a busy secondary road,, so 'if' we do buy some sort of kennel would like it out of sight of road.

Niece's dog had been out, near the road last year.
Some guy stopped, was trying to coax him into his car..
She was standing in her yard getting dog back to her.

New problem has raised it head,,, TICKS!

While at hospital for my yearly exam ,,one was found on me!
Went to ER & got it removed. yikes

Been thinking about an outside kennel for Mac.
Problem is most of our yard has a slope to it.

We live beside a busy secondary road,, so 'if' we do buy some sort of kennel would like it out of sight of road.

Niece's dog had been out, near the road last year.
Some guy stopped, was trying to coax him into his car..
She was standing in her yard getting dog back to her.

New problem has raised it head,,, TICKS!

While at hospital for my yearly exam ,,one was found on me!
Went to ER & got it removed. yikes
Will you spray your yard? Ticks can give you lime disease, I think.

O, yeah people get Lime disease too.
Doctor did not identify tick,, by its size think it was deer tick.
Believe the lime carrying tick is size of tiny seed/ period size> .

Will either throw powered lime about by hand or with little hand spreader.
Hubby sold the push spread at my yard sale couple years a go. :mad:
Same here and he won’t let me buy a new push spreader, we have a hand one. Frustrating.

We almost have Bella’s new run done. It takes my husband so long to do stuff because of his weight and the fact that he does not listen. He has to do it HIS way, not the way I say, and then when it doesn’t work, and it usually does not, then he does it my way; which does work. He costs us so much in time, effort, and money. A continual frustration.

Due to the rain today, we could not finish. We had a small window of sunshine and took advantage of it, but then it started to dump water. It has rained about 8-10 hours already, raining now, supposed to rain tomorrow. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Dog run finally done as of 5 minutes ago and already pooped in by Bella. The trainer said she is the most nipped dog he’s ever had. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Yup, I noticed that. We are going to buy a correcter that blows air into her face when she nips. She bit the trainer while he was here. Right after I told him she is going to bit you. No one listens.

As you can see, she has a lot of space to run in now and totally safe. Her dog house will be in the shade part of the day and a shade cover is over her house. Now, if she would just stop biting. BAD BELLA BAD

Attachments

• 0FF6944D-D226-41DA-ACB1-793A477459CA.jpeg
    0FF6944D-D226-41DA-ACB1-793A477459CA.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BC5785B4-B8A6-4852-9097-D60D6E735FCF.jpeg
    BC5785B4-B8A6-4852-9097-D60D6E735FCF.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 12
So with Bella back, dog training starts again. We are working on the place command, tied in with the stay command. She sits on an elevated bed, stays on it, while I walk around the bed; and if she stays there I walk up to her and give her a treat.

If she leaves the bed, and she is on leash, I take her back to it, and no treat. We do this several times a day. She also is supposed to walk, nicely, on leash. We will see, trying this morning. Due to her nipping, which seems to have increased since she was gone, I have to wear gloves to leash her up. Leashing her has always been a problem and an issue. Trainer says it’s a common issue for heelers. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Trainer says she needs a job. 🙁. Yeah, dude, that’s why I bought her-to do a job; a service dog job. Now if she would just stop nipping, mouthing, biting, that would help. Bought her a correction companion, an small type air gun spray, when she nips she gets sprayed in the face with air. I not very coordinated, hopefully I can manage this. She still has some very sharp baby teeth, which is what caught him.

@Aneeda72 You've done a great job on the dog run. Very impressive!

If I recall correctly, my daughter's Corgi didn't like being handled when she was a pup .. and was a nipper too. At 5, she still doesn't like being touched in specific places.

You know your dog best.
Thanks, we were still working on it when Bella got home, 😂, had to get the shade cover up. It offers a little protection from the rain. I think dogs deserve the same protection as children-a safe place to play. It lets her run, zoom back and forth, to her hearts content. She has so much energy.

Heelers, from what I read, really are not touchy dogs which works for me as I don’t like to cuddle with a dog. Several breeds are nippers, but most don’t draw blood and she does. Of course, once she looses the baby teeth it will lessen. On the other side, she takes a treat gently. So odd.

Dog run finally done as of 5 minutes ago and already pooped in by Bella. The trainer said she is the most nipped dog he’s ever had. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Yup, I noticed that. We are going to buy a correcter that blows air into her face when she nips. She bit the trainer while he was here. Right after I told him she is going to bit you. No one listens.

As you can see, she has a lot of space to run in now and totally safe. Her dog house will be in the shade part of the day and a shade cover is over her house. Now, if she would just stop biting. BAD BELLA BAD
What a great job and space for Bella, you've gotten a lot accomplished in a short time.
I'm truly baffled with Bella's nipping and biting......other than playing toes with Shaalee when she was little, that stopped quick, was just prompted biting habit......never had one that did this biting thing.....not even Micki.
Hope this can be corrected.

What a great job and space for Bella, you've gotten a lot accomplished in a short time.
I'm truly baffled with Bella's nipping and biting......other than playing toes with Shaalee when she was little, that stopped quick, was just prompted biting habit......never had one that did this biting thing.....not even Micki.
Hope this can be corrected.
The two border collie/poodle mixes we had before were still nipping at seven months of age. Almost all herding dog nip, and it was the border collie half that kept it up. They did not draw blood, though. With Bella, she has an amazing drive for fetch and will learn to retrieve, but that drive also causes the nipping. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I don’t know why your pups didn’t nip, you were lucky or whoever had them before taught them not to early on. All my pups have nipped, but other breeds stop easily, herders usually don’t. @MickaC

After wrestling a bear named Bella, with my gloves on, I finally got her leashes on for a walk without getting bit. Although, she tried. I put her regular leash on and the special walking leash that the trainers use, it’s the one Caesar uses I think. Goes around the neck, make a circle and goes around the mouth, and then you tighten it down, and hook it to her collar. It she can still bite, 😂.

Tie her regular leash to my walker and held the other leash in my hand to control. WOW, when she left for board and train she would not walk on a leash so I had low expectations. Especially since she came back biting more instead of less. Just WOW. She walked perfectly.

A little barking at the barking dogs next door but she stayed on my left side, sat when I stopped, not too much pulling, and when I had to fix her leash from under her leg, she didn’t try to bite. We walked two blocks with no issues. So great, so very great. YAY happy, happy!!!

Came back home, worked on place, a failure, so into the crate after three chances. Before that did the down calming exercise in order to get the leash off without being bitten. She took a while to calm, she did a little, then got the walking leash off, finally. Took her over to her crate with the other leash, and there she is. After I finish this, outside for play and potty. For Bella, not me, just clarifying. 😃

Bella was slightly easier to leash up this morning, thank god. Only took 15 minutes, I think she is starting to acknowledge I might be her boss. 😂. The walk went well. She pulls a little but that will be solved when the new harness comes tomorrow from Amazon. Gave her old harness to a neighbor that needed one.

The correction device arrived by will wait till trainer comes on Friday to use it. I need to learn the proper use and not hurt her.

She is very alert on her walks and I have had no issues with her going in front of the walker which is always an issue with the bigger dogs. She didn’t like a trash can that had been left out and pulled away from it, but the second time around she ignored it. Also there were two piles of dirt on the sidewalk and a stroller and couple kids toys set out to give away.

She had no problem with these or with moving over as I moved over. There is a large bush that intrudes and she goes under my walker to avoid it. When the new harness comes we will work on the behind command. A service dog needs to go behind the owner in tight spaces.

The trainer is sure she can become a service dog, but it will take a lot of work and time to get there. And money. I don’t mind the work, I have the time, but money is an issue as always. ☹️ Even if she does not become a service dog, she is a great pet dog, except, you know, the biting. 🤦🏻‍♀️

We also practiced her place, as we do every morning but this needs a lot of work. Have to find time to work on it more. Before we went into the house after the walk, we practice the down calming exercise. I step on her leash, say down, get my feet right up next to her neck to hold her down. As soon as she Downs, calmly for a minute, I can let her up.

She rolls, she tries to pull her face halter off, tries to bite my leg, bites my pants, and as soon as she lays flat and quiet for a minute, she’s done. I need to try and do this more often as well. But I need to get the yard done, watch my tv programs, do my house work etc.

How is it that I am so darn busy? And I never get to play my computer game. I blame it all on @hollydolly I must have caught the get up off your butt syndrome from her. Gee, thanks for nothing! 🤣.

Back