My Observation Today About What Americans Weigh

Whenever anyone would call my dad "skinny" he would put on his fake girly mannerisms and say, I prefer to be called "slender."

I always liked, "slender." I never liked it when men would call me "lean," or "fit." It made me feel like a construction worker. The worst was one day when my husband and I were talking to a neighbor (this was before he got his retirement belly and I quit smoking) and the guy said, "Ya'll look like ya'll have tapeworms."
I typically wear a size 8. To me, slender means the smaller side of average. Maybe that's the wrong word to use.

I'm not thin, skinny, slight or tiny.

I heard the average American gains 10 pounds over the year-end holidays that they never lose. I know I have to get back on track after eating a lot of things I probably shouldn't have. I shudder to think of my monthly weigh-in coming up on January 7th. All the items in the photo are gone now except the cashews, some of the almonds and the jar of lemon curd.

Christmas 2022.jpg

Fact is that eating out at fast food restaurant is a killer.
Fact is that these fat people will die at an early age from diabetes, heart attacks or strokes.
Fact is that most folks have no self discipline.
Fact is that you are what you eat. You eat "garbage" you body become "garbage."

In case your interested, this morning for breakfast I had porridge with raisins, bananas, wheat germ and skim milk with 0 % fat.
Tomorrow for breakfast, I will enjoy fruit with yogurt and topped with hemp hearts.

Hey! At my age I need all the help I can get.

In France, we spot the American tourists kilometers away, they are so overweigh (sic) and out of shape.......the insulting, condescending generalization

So sorry Starsong, no insult nor condescending intended.

It was,merely my observations in Paris after many years living in 6th, population with Tourists. The other clews the French have to spot America's......talk'in loudly, poorly dressed, not speaking a word of French.....
On the other hand, som3 American Ex Pat friends in Paris, are fluent in Fr, great build and they workout daily. Indeed a variety of Americans in Paris. Nobody is perfect!

Jon

We only had one in my class of 200 (poor girl.) I don't think showing fat people on TV is the same as showing people smoking. People can't leave their fat at home and just because young people see something on TV doesn't mean they're going to see it as ideal and copy it. It certainly won't offset all the messages young women get from magazines and movies that tell them they have to be thin to be acceptable.

Anorexia is far more deadly than obesity.
Yes, I think showing emaciated women or men on TV is a lot worse than showing someone overweight. Anorexia and bulimia didn't start till the emaciated image of women started becoming the norm on TV. That's when young girls started messing up their body and metabolism with starving themselves.
I'd posit that anorexia and extreme obesity are both sides of the same coin.
Bingo!! They are both an eating disorder and both are unhealthy.

StarSong said: It was,merely my observations in Paris after many years living in 6th, population with Tourists. The other clews the French have to spot America's......talk'in loudly, poorly dressed, not speaking a word of French.....
I said none of what you quoted in your response. Those are your words, not mine.

Many international tourists visit Los Angeles and a fair percentage speak little or no English. No big deal. We welcome them and do our best to accommodate them. I have no expectations that people from non-English speaking countries will speak English. Why would they? Between charades and context, we figure it out, usually with quite a bit of laughter on both sides.

On the other hand, som3 American Ex Pat friends in Paris, are fluent in Fr, great build and they workout daily. Indeed a variety of Americans in Paris. Nobody is perfect!
Glad to hear some Americans manage to meet your expectations.

What is that anyway? 🙂
It's similar to the lemon layer in lemon meringue pie.
It's a creamy cold sauce made with lemon juice and egg yolks, often added to desserts to give that sweet/tart taste. Spread it on top of cheese cake and you'll forget all about your weight problems.
Lemon curd is delicious and deadly - one spoonful and you won't stop eating it until it's gone!

A few here seem to think our government should force added controls on behaviors of people. Now we all understand that our government, in all its wisdom, does already do some of this, (e.g., vaccines) But some think controlling what we eat should be included.

For those who really believe this. Then it may be time for you to move to one of those fine countries that specialize in controlling your lives, like the USSR or Cuba...

I think a lot of people's eating habits are picked up off their parents. I see overweight kids with overweight parents all the time. Another determining factor is that some people see food as entertainment. After supper they go out in the evening for pizza.

Back