My Potato Salad is Blah

To keep your cut up potatoes from cooking up soft use some White vinegar,, drain the water off cooked potatoes.

I season the hot potatoes with S&P,, toss them to coat them.

Chopped boiled eggs, chipped sweet pickles. chopped onion.
Miracle whip mixed with yellow mustard & some McCutchenon's Vidalia onion mustard.
Sometimes I don't have the vidalia mustard on hand,,use Vidalia Onion Vinegarette.
Mix all together to coat potatoes.

Hubby likes olives in potato salad but I don't. 😵

Now that the children are grown I don't make much potato salad.
Have made myself hungry for some.:)

Drain diced potatoes and immediately add some bottled creamy salad dressing of a flavor that you like. Mix gently and chill before adding all other normal ingredients. Think of it as seasoning as vanilla is to dessert.

Olden days .,,,,,, One of the best for potato salad was the old Kraft orange stuff called French that no respectable cook would allow to be seen in her frig. or on her table.

I didn't know it was still available but a search proves me wrong. Publix shows it as Creamy French but color not as intense

In 1905, Carl Woeber emigrated from Germany to Springfield, Ohio, and founded Woeber Mustard Company with only a handful of family mustard recipes, expertise in the art of mustard making, and the desire to succeed.

It did not originate in Texas @Jules
Everything originates in Texas!!!!Everthing! ( Well, maybe not New York)

A suggestion for you. Try my potato salad. Amounts are determined by how many potatoes you cook.
Simmer potatoes in their jackets just until barely done. Don't over cook. Drain and let cool. Peel skins off. Dice potatoes into a size you prefer. I dice into crouton size pieces. Splash on some bottled Italian dressing (just enough to make potatoes moist). Toss well. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Add chopped green onions, chopped salad olives finely chopped celery and a tsp or so of yellow mustard. Begin adding Miracle whip until potatoes are nicely covered. Toss well. Taste for salt and pepper if you prefer. If needed, do not use too much.
Some of the potatoes will break up a tiny bit. that's ok.
Chill until needed.

Thanks, @senior chef. That’s similar to recipe my daughter just gave me, she’s a really good cook. I served it to DH yesterday and was thinking I should add mayo. Never thought of salad olives and mustard.

Thanks, @senior chef. That’s similar to recipe my daughter just gave me, she’s a really good cook. I served it to DH yesterday and was thinking I should add mayo. Never thought of salad olives and mustard.
You're welcome. Play around with the amounts of ingredients until you get the exact flavor you like. BUT, please don't add so much Italian salad dressing that the potatoes are swimming in it. Just a good heavy splash is enough.

After several tries, I’ve dug through the recipes here and tried some of the ingredients. Some are almost the same as what I make.

Is there a secret ingredient that gives it flavour, preferably not a herb that I need to head out to the grocery store.

Does anyone have a copycat recipe for Costco Kirkland Potato Salad? I can’t define what the difference is with it.

Essentially I start with new potatoes, chopped onions, Hellmans, chopped hard-boiled eggs, S&P.

Sometimes I use hot potatoes, sometimes cold. No celery, though may use celery salt. Dijon mustard. Kraft Peppercorn Ranch. Seasoning Salt.

Italian salad dressing is my ideal topping. The combination of garlic-parsley-vinegar is unbeatable. Adds an immense amount of flavor. A touch of olive oil on top of that helps. Perhaps some Spanish olives as well.

Back