My Youngest Brother Is In ICU

Just closing the loop on this old thread.

I talked to my younger brother a couple of days ago and he is actually feeling better. He still has not completely stopped smoking, he still drinks a little and he now refuses to take any of the medications that his Doctors have prescribed for him. He may never get the bypass operation that they keep telling him he needs.

Go figure! It is almost mysterious that he is still alive.
Stubbornness, apparently. :)

@Pecos so sorry to hear this. There is still hope. I had the same thing happen in my family. After years of alcohol and smoking he was just about forced into rehab. The first time it didn't last. He was readmitted and its been over ten years without a drink. He quite smoking a bit late and his lungs aren't top notch but he is with us and feeling better even with the chronic problems he has.
I can't say enough about good rehab and the fact that none of the rest of the family buckled under his false promises which is a big factor in recovery but very hard to do.
My best to you and your family, who I believe, suffer more than the person themselves.

I'm so glad your brother is better. Do you have any idea why he's not taking the meds? Do you have any idea how he thinks? Maybe he would just rather fade away.
He tells me that the Medes make him feel like crap, and I guess that some do. As far as the way he thinks, that has always been a bit of a mystery. I suspect that in many ways he is brilliant, but he is also pretty stubborn.

@Pecos, you've done your part brother. Let the chips fall where it should.

I've been in situations like this with a loved one. The more I tried to get them out of trouble, the deeper they seemed to get into it. I asked myself if I'm enabling them. I got a resounding YES! I leaned back even if it hurts. We can only do so much for a person.

My middle brother called me this morning and told me that Jim, our youngest brother, died in his sleep at his home in Oregon and was not found until yesterday. When his phone wasn't being answered and he didn't come up on his HAM radio for a few days, his stepson and his ham buddies went to his house and with the police found him in bed. At this point it looks like he had a heart attack.

Two weeks ago his doctor told him that he was doing fine and making good progress. Jim did not completely stop smoking or drinking like he was supposed to, but he had cut back a lot. Up until the night of his death, he was living his life the way he always had and enjoying himself on the air and going out to area clubs where he was a known flirt and a reasonably good dancer. Sudden heart attacks can just pop up unexpectedly anytime.

Jim was always a lot of fun and was a good brother. He was a great guy to go fishing or camping with. We will miss him and the jokes that he loved to tell, especially after a couple of beers.

His stepson, Mike, is handling things at the moment and my middle brother and I have a lot of confidence in him.

Please wish him a warm welcome into the Pearly Gates. Heaven has gained another avid joke teller.

I'm so sorry to read this DF!! May Jim Rest in Paradise. It seems like he spent his last days doing the things he loved to do and didn't suffer. It's a good thing his step son was keeping close tabs on him and can be trusted to handle things. You and your family have my heartfelt
condolences. May happy memories of your brother bring comfort and peace.

sympathy_Brother-r0d2c8705363b4975b0bc80f134f3cc93_xvuat_8byvr_512.jpg

@Pecos, my condolences to you and your family for the loss of your brother, very sad to hear...hugs. May he rest peacefully.

1611247470-sympathy_002.jpg

Back