New Poll on Personal Happiness

"Roughly 95% of Americans who live in high-income households, who identify as Republicans and who are married say they are satisfied with their personal life -- and about three in four among each of these groups are very satisfied."

Duh, if you have money to burn, and you are married without a care, you are "very satisfied"? I don't believe this poll is a good indicator of how most of the nation feels. "Satisfied" is a pretty nebulous term it's right up there with "happy". Again, what exactly is "personal life"? If you look at the results, the numbers are generally in the 80% range for the vast majority of the time..
Sorry, I don't believe 90% of Americans are that content with their lives. And I believe this "poll" is more political propaganda than fact.

Personal Happiness...…..those that can take their kids and wife on a Disney Cruise, to Disney World, Sea World and other nice places. Nice salary, nice home and nice/new car.

For a farmer/rancher...…..great crop and beef production and selling price on the market.

I don't think wealth even factors in. Long ago, I came to the conclusion that it's better (obviously!) not to be poor. But it's also better not to be very wealthy. From what I've seen, heard, and read all my life, the rich don't seem to have any more happiness than anyone else. Wealth isn't what makes you happy. People living in big, luxurious homes are not particularly any happier than anyone else.

I think you do have to have a reasonable amount of money, enough to live comfortably in a decent, safe neighborhood, with enough for all the necessities of life, and then some extras as well. Enough so you don't have to keep thinking about money all the time. (Which both the very rich and the very poor seem to be doing.)

What is important to me? Good health, love and interaction with my family, good friends in my daily life, enjoying happy memories, good music, occasional travel, clubs and activities that I enjoy. And being able to do good things for others.

Ask a few rock stars (or anyone famous) how happy they are. It's a state of mind in my opinion, as you can be happy regardless of circumstances or the amount of money you may or may not have access to. Here today gone tomorrow. I think it comes down to appreciating what you have, while not feeling guilty if you reach for more.

I’m a lot happier than my ancestors were that’s for sure back in the depression my grandparents had to live with my aunt and uncle as did my other grandmother and grandfather as all were unemployed. Then during World War II three of my uncles stormed the beaches on the D-Day invasion and one came home with a piece of his skull missing, not to mention all of my family members back in the 1800s many of them dirt poor farmers living off the land scraping by....I consider myself very very lucky to be living at this time in history, of course things could change in a heartbeat but I am very, very thankful and happy that I didn’t have the hard knock times that my ancestors did.

For me being content is that little sweet spot between too little and too much where everything seems to be just right.

goldilocks.jpg

I wasn't going to chime in....But what da heck!!!! We were married at 20 yrs. old....Not a pot to piss in....(that was my Italian)….Anyway, we did
have parents....The best anyone could ever have...They are alll gone now...We had a small little church wedding and went back to my dear
mom in law and then to my dear parents house....My Aunt who had a Gown store....gave me a gown and told me not to tell any cousin you
gave the gown to you....hahaha....I have many cousins....
I have to tell it wasn't a bowl of cherries …..But we made it, but with hard work....Hubby always had 2 shifts....I took care of my 2children....
3 years apart....I didn't have a car, and we rented a house....The landlady was horrible...(I won't go into that)….We stayed there for 7 years...
My husband worked for ITT....He never went to college....He learned everything from work....taking homework with big work books....
This was the 70's....The boss loved him and couldn't believe he never went to college....
Anyway, We made it to finally buy a house in Ohio....Oh, did I not like it there.....We stayed 2 1/2 years....
Came back home and hubby worked in NYC....So, we are not going on our 55 years together....Some bad times and some good times....
I guess I said enough... We are still happy together....

I wasn't going to chime in....But what da heck!!!! We were married at 20 yrs. old....Not a pot to piss in....(that was my Italian)….Anyway, we did
have parents....The best anyone could ever have...They are alll gone now...We had a small little church wedding and went back to my dear
mom in law and then to my dear parents house....My Aunt who had a Gown store....gave me a gown and told me not to tell any cousin you
gave the gown to you....hahaha....I have many cousins....
I have to tell it wasn't a bowl of cherries …..But we made it, but with hard work....Hubby always had 2 shifts....I took care of my 2children....
3 years apart....I didn't have a car, and we rented a house....The landlady was horrible...(I won't go into that)….We stayed there for 7 years...
My husband worked for ITT....He never went to college....He learned everything from work....taking homework with big work books....
This was the 70's....The boss loved him and couldn't believe he never went to college....
Anyway, We made it to finally buy a house in Ohio....Oh, did I not like it there.....We stayed 2 1/2 years....
Came back home and hubby worked in NYC....So, we are not going on our 55 years together....Some bad times and some good times....
I guess I said enough... We are still happy together....
Its amazing what hard work, determination and sticking together can do for a couple! When you were sharing your story it reminded me of my husband and I and just sticking together through all the hard times working very hard and not giving up, for many people this is the formula for success .

".....90 percent of Americans say they are satisfied with their personal life....
Yeah. Fuzzybuddy called you out on this. It's not 90% of Americans. It's 90% of a small group. Have you ever read that stats based on all groups. Millenials, Gen X, Gen Z, boomers? Much different results.

Lc jones got it right. We have no concept of how the depression effected the people physically and mentally.

My father walked from Oklahoma to the Mississippi seeking work.
He saw the Mississippi clogged with dead hogs and flowing blood red.
The govt was killing livestock through out the nation, trying to make livestock marketable.

My father never forgave FDR, "didn't he know people were starving.'

FDR tried many programs, a lot of failures, but a lot were successful.
Prior to FDR congress believed it was business that had to pull the nation out of any recession or depression.
We are blessed, very blessed, even with the A-bombs, the failing society,
... beats going to bed Hungary

The only film we have were those artistic types that FDR but to work filming what they considered of value.

It was bad, real bad.
FDR tried, he was the only one concerned,

My parent's were penny pinchers till the day they died.
They did not believe in frivols purchases: cornbread, taters, a tad of meat... save, save, it could happen again.

I'm a semi-student of the depression, information is limited. The govt has a lot of documents, but they don't give the actual situation.

"The Grapes of Wrath," is about the best book of the people.

Wealth is super important, I agree. I've been very wealthy before and also struggling poor. Wealthy is loads better, believe me. If nothing else, it puts a distance between you and unpleasantness. And you're treated much better by others when you have a lot of money. I'm not wealthy now BTW. Not by any means. Health issues come to us all at some point. When you have money, you can see the best physicians, (in the U.S. anyway, where we have to pay through the nose for health care,) and it does make a difference.

That said, I think having a sense of purpose in life can make a person most happy. It's hard to imagine living without that. Comradery makes you feel like you're a part of something special, outside of yourself. It's a good feeling and it makes me feel happy anyway.

I think the kind of people they described as 90% of being happy, are that way because they only care about how well they're doing and how many toys they have. They are probably the kind who spend very little time thinking or worrying about things like the environment, global warming, poverty, foreign relations, etc, etc, etc.

I think the kind of people they described as 90% of being happy, are that way because they only care about how well they're doing and how many toys they have. They are probably the kind who spend very little time thinking or worrying about things like the environment, global warming, poverty, foreign relations, etc, etc, etc.
Judgmental much?

Lc jones got it right. We have no concept of how the depression effected the people physically and mentally.

My father walked from Oklahoma to the Mississippi seeking work.
He saw the Mississippi clogged with dead hogs and flowing blood red.
The govt was killing livestock through out the nation, trying to make livestock marketable.

My father never forgave FDR, "didn't he know people were starving.'

FDR tried many programs, a lot of failures, but a lot were successful.
Prior to FDR congress believed it was business that had to pull the nation out of any recession or depression.
We are blessed, very blessed, even with the A-bombs, the failing society,
... beats going to bed Hungary

The only film we have were those artistic types that FDR but to work filming what they considered of value.

It was bad, real bad.
FDR tried, he was the only one concerned,

My parent's were penny pinchers till the day they died.
They did not believe in frivols purchases: cornbread, taters, a tad of meat... save, save, it could happen again.

I'm a semi-student of the depression, information is limited. The govt has a lot of documents, but they don't give the actual situation.

"The Grapes of Wrath," is about the best book of the people.
Every time I watch the Grapes of Wrath it tears my heart out to see people who just want to work and then are terrorized and exploited, I believe the depression was just so much worse than we can even imagine as your summary states above. My grandparents did not share much about their experience as I believe they were trying to protect us from the pain they experienced during this period. My mom did share that she remembered as a little girl of three or four standing in breadlines to get just a little bit of bread for their family of nine in the 30s and I still remember my grandmother never throwing out tinfoil, string or any kind of paper whatsoever, it was indelibly etched on her psyche to not do so because of the suffering they had endured.

People are not encouraged to be happy these days. Self-pity is the way to go....so many celebs are declaring their personal angst..you are nobody if you don't have 'issues' of some kind.
The results of these polls depend on who answers them, so it doesn't give a realistic picture. Miserable people probably wouldn't feel inclined to take part!

My wife and I have both worked very hard (and are still working) to build a comfortable lifestyle and put two wonderful children through college. Now they are adults and we are very involved in their lives. Life is not always easy but we make the most of the ups and downs...mostly up. Why do people complain..we buy things with our finger tips and a package shows up within 24 hours. We have relative safety in our day to day lives (look around at the rest of the world). We are able to travel the world because we saved and invested wisely. We still pinch pennies like bringing lunch to work everyday but enjoy the nice things in life. Count us in on the 90%!

"Roughly 95% of Americans who live in high-income households, who identify as Republicans and who are married say they are satisfied with their personal life -- and about three in four among each of these groups are very satisfied."

Duh, if you have money to burn, and you are married without a care, you are "very satisfied"? I don't believe this poll is a good indicator of how most of the nation feels. "Satisfied" is a pretty nebulous term it's right up there with "happy". Again, what exactly is "personal life"? If you look at the results, the numbers are generally in the 80% range for the vast majority of the time..
Sorry, I don't believe 90% of Americans are that content with their lives. And I believe this "poll" is more political propaganda than fact.
Well, that's just your opinion, man.

Back