New to the forum - from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Kel, we are so glad to have you. What an interesting and impressive link and thx for posting it. Happy to have you with us, suspicious group that we are. (lol) I hope you enjoy our internationally flavored forum as much as I do and we will love hearing your stories.

Happy New Year!

Oh geeze Kel, now I feel bad. I've been watching the Gruen Transfer too long, I envisioned you with a pony tail and an ad campaign in the making.

That has to have been a career with some stories attached, we love stories. Many would be interested in the behind the scenes traumas of getting some of the footage we see. It sure can't all be point and shoot.

If we can help out with anything, just ask, otherwise this a great place for a good chat with people who share our boat and can have a laugh about it. Again, welcome aboard.

Well, probably the most exciting time over the past five years has been hanging out of a BIG Sikorsky helicopter out in Bass Strait filming various oil platforms and building activities for a new oil/gas field for Australia. Bit chilly in winter but a great experience on a warm summer's day - with camera strap around neck so I don't lose it to the ocean. 14 seater chopper so lots of room as we book it as a special and only myself doing video and colleague doing stills are in the back - two pilots up front and we are all on headphones so we can direct pilot - nose left, nose right, climb or descend. Lotta fun!

Well, probably the most exciting time over the past five years has been hanging out of a BIG Sikorsky helicopter out in Bass Strait filming various oil platforms and building activities for a new oil/gas field for Australia.

Oh YeeehaaAAA !! I've seen those fellas hanging out of choppers taking piccys and thought what a buzz it must be for those so suited. I'd be rigid with terror but envy those who can enjoy the ride.

Always admired those who film rescue operations, especially at sea in rough weather, and manage to get the footage without seeming to get in the way of the people doing the job, that has to be an art.

How do people get into that line of work? Do they start out from school and do courses, fall into it, find mentors or all or none of that?

Well, probably the most exciting time over the past five years has been hanging out of a BIG Sikorsky helicopter out in Bass Strait filming various oil platforms and building activities for a new oil/gas field for Australia. Bit chilly in winter but a great experience on a warm summer's day - with camera strap around neck so I don't lose it to the ocean. 14 seater chopper so lots of room as we book it as a special and only myself doing video and colleague doing stills are in the back - two pilots up front and we are all on headphones so we can direct pilot - nose left, nose right, climb or descend. Lotta fun!

LOL That is such a macho profession. I know few women who would enjoy it and probably every man I've ever known would love it! Such adventure!

Yeah it certainly can be - not sure how others get into it but I was a TV journalist and then turned video producer and media trainer about 25 years ago and have done a lot of work for the oil/gas sector and mining.

Welcome from Pappy, Kel. Is that your dog in your avatar? Looks like a boxer maybe?

Thanks Pappy and that sure is my dog and was her 11 years ago when she was a pup - and she's a cross Akita/German Shepherd - and very loyal and cute

Welcome Kel. As you can determine from reading the posts here you might do better on this forum producing a video of mental health rather than physical ailments. :lofl:

Thanks Larry - you may be right - Im too much of a newbie at this stage to judge!

Welcome Kel. As you can determine from reading the posts here you might do better on this forum producing a video of mental health rather than physical ailments. :lofl:

Ooh, ooh! I want to audition for the "BEFORE Guy"! I have references from several psychiatrists and a few ex's ...

LOL That is such a macho profession. I know few women who would enjoy it and probably every man I've ever known would love it! Such adventure!

Well, I certainly would have loved it. As a young woman I was fascinated by geology but there were few openings for girls and even less encouragement. Having a child early in life was the killer. That's why I became a science teacher, not a field geologist.

Those who can, do, but there are other reasons besides incompetence why some can't, and who therefore must settle for teaching.

Thanks Pappy and that sure is my dog and was her 11 years ago when she was a pup - and she's a cross Akita/German Shepherd - and very loyal and cute

roses vine 004.jpg
And this is what she looked like a few yeas ago - she's now about 46 kgs in weight - a real horse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back