News clipping from The NY Daily Mirror 1950

This reminded me of Willie Nelson telling about what his wife did to him...

https://www.wideopencountry.com/willie-nelson-wife-annie-dangelo/

Excerpt from linked article:
Willie Nelson is a Texas-sized legend of country music. The country singer, known for his Outlaw Country songs, including collaborations with Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and Merle Haggard, his fight for the legalization of pot and his status as an Austin icon, has also had a Texas-sized amount of marriages.

Martha Matthews​

The songwriter's first wife was Martha Matthews. Nelson and Matthews were married from 1952 to 1962. The marriage was a contentious and violent one. In a 1980 interview with People, Nelson said Matthews once sewed him up in a bed sheet and then beat him with a broomstick. "By the time I got loose, she'd lit out in the car with the kids, her clothes and my clothes," Nelson told People. "There was no way I could follow her naked, and that was kind of the end of it."

And of course up into the 1900's, any time a woman "got out of hand" (which would include things like having an opinion, wanting equal rights, wanting to control her own money, and other things that were considered 'unwomanly'), it was blamed on "hysteria". And what was the solution for hysteria, you might ask? Why, a hysterectomy, of course. Sometimes even a lobotomy. And a nice long stay in a mental sanitarium was always a good way to rid oneself of a troublesome wife.

"got out of hand"

this was the most popular "remedy" in the past:

Laudanum-4.jpg

Yep, "Mother's Little Helper", a brand of tonic heavy on the laudanum and alcohol, was an all-round solution to household difficulties.

Kids acting up, won't take a nap? A couple spoonfuls of MLH and those little imps are off to the land of Nod. And then Mom could have a hefty slug of it herself and forget all her problems.....

I don't know how they got away with it. There's no way in hell I'd tolerate that.

Back