No sleep last night no matter how I tried.

Jim

I'll send you my book

You'll be asleep half way thru the first chapter
Gary is joking, but it is true, reading a book in bed will relax you. Chamomile tea is also very gentle and relaxing, if you like tea. Unless you're a chronic insomniac there should be a way to induce sleep. I am a very good sleeper, but even I have my restless nights. I just sit on my recliner in the living room and just watch TV until I get sleepy. I don't get up to go to bed, that would waken me, just cover myself with a blanket and drift off. I've had nights when I didn't fall asleep until 4-5am. Good thing I no longer have a job!

I've been reading myself to sleep for years. I read with a Kindle that is backlit so the bedroom lamp is off. I usually drift off without even closing the cover. It takes forever to get through a slow moving book unless I bring it out in the afternoon.

Hope you have a better night tonight.

AZ, don't "try" to sleep. It comes naturally. If you're in pain, preventing sleep, speak to your doctor.

"They" say:
TV off
Lights off
Warm milk
Exercise prior to bedtime

I hope you can relax enough to get some rest! šŸŒ¹

No exercise prior to bedtime please. You'd be all worked up - raise blood pressure. The harder you try to sleep the more elusive sleep becomes. Try to do things that will lower blood pressure. Think of something beautiful in your mind, relive a favorite day long past, imagine peaceful music. Listen to a youtube self hypnosis video. The voice alone will knock you out in 15 min. or it should unless there is a medical reason for your insomnia.

No exercise prior to bedtime please. You'd be all worked up - raise blood pressure. The harder you try to sleep the more elusive sleep becomes. Try to do things that will lower blood pressure. Think of something beautiful in your mind, relive a favorite day long past, imagine peaceful music. Listen to a youtube self hypnosis video. The voice alone will knock you out in 15 min. or it should unless there is a medical reason for your insomnia.
Oh dear, got it wrong...thanks, @chic. The advice was for earlier in the day, each day.

Sometimes I'll have a hard time getting to sleep...my mind won't shut up long enough to doze off. Then I'll get up, maybe sit outside with cup of warm milk or tea and then try again. My problem is staying asleep. I'll sleep a couple of hours then BAM! I'm wide awake, sometimes for 2-3 hours or more. Come sunup, I'm exhausted.

I have very few problems with sleep. After I retired I stopped using the alarm clock and if everything is good I sleep naturally for 7-8 hours. I've never taken sleeping pills, except after surgery in hospital. Now that I'm older many nights I have to use the bathroom around 4am. On rare nights I can't sleep and stay up until 4-5am. Last night I went to sleep at 10:30 and at 4am my little cat Juliet decided she needed some loving and started using me as a pincushion and woke me up and after loving her I couldn't fall back asleep so got up at 6am. That's the beauty of being retired, no need for strict sleep schedules. Most days I take a nap from 2-4 hours and if I don't I start feeling drowsy around 6pm, but if I take the nap I stay up until 11-12 or sometimes 2am if I stay up to watch Alfred Hitchcock.

I have had sleep problems all my life.

After a fitful night, I decided the next day I would try to stay up as long as possible.

I made it to 2 o clock in the afternoon. Then I had a good sleep.

Unless you have been there with sleep problems you cannot give advice to anyone else because you don't understand what goes through the mind of an insomniac. You just cannot turn off the mind. Well you can with medication, but they don't prescribe those anymore for seniors. Too many side effects.

Reading a book? I could go through the whole book without any problems.

I just learned to accept it. I get a lot of things done when I can't sleep. You might even see me here typing away at 2 in the morning.

Jim I think that you probably didn't need any sleep, if you
are anything like me, I do very little so I don't get tired and
end up reading half the night.

Mike.

Sometimes I'll have a hard time getting to sleep...my mind won't shut up long enough to doze off. Then I'll get up, maybe sit outside with cup of warm milk or tea and then try again. My problem is staying asleep. I'll sleep a couple of hours then BAM! I'm wide awake, sometimes for 2-3 hours or more. Come sunup, I'm exhausted.
That's precisely me !!

I thought I answered this yesterday, but I don't see my answer here, so possibly I didn't send it correctly. Anyway, I had a similar experience a few days ago, didn't close my eyes all night. I usually do fall asleep pretty quickly, but wake up in the middle of the night. After I get up, do a crossword puzzle, read, etc. for a while, I am able to get back to sleep. But on that particular night, I didn't even close my eyes.

I finally remembered what probably caused it. The day before, I had two cups of regular coffee instead of my usual one. One was with breakfast, as usual, and for some stupid reason I decided to have a second cup late in the afternoon. That did it!

So, if you are a coffee drinker, try doing without, or at least switch to decaf.

Back