Notes from Pappy's diary

Pappy

Living the Dream
Pappys Living the Dream Diary..Well Kinda

Tomorrow, Monday, is my semi-annual CT scan for a aortic anorism. Not too much to it but the dye they put in me makes me feel like I'm going to pee my pants. Oh, who cares. I'm pushing 77 and have a good excuse, right. I have been lucky that it hasn't enlarged over the years but aways get a little concerned waiting for results. If it reaches 5 centimeters, it means open heart surgery.

Today was was a very quiet day. Had breakfast with some good friends that came to Florida from my hometown, Norwich, NY. My neighbor, who is from England, pronounces it Norich. She said there is a Norwich in England.

Watched some football today, but did a lot of reading. It was in the low sixties and a bit cool and too windy for any bike riding. It's about 7:00 so guess I'll turn on the Telly and see what garbage is on tonight.

LATER ALL.

Hope you get good results from your scan on Monday Pappy. I can't imagine how stressful it is waiting for those kinds of results. You're just a spring chicken to some, my friend. :love_heart: I would say Norwich, lol! Hope you have a good night, please let us know how the test results turn out.

Haven't heard on the CT scan yet. I guess if anything was drastic, I would have been informed.

Eye exam today. Start of cataracts but nowhere near surgery on them. They found pressure to be too high so back for more tests for glaucoma. My mother had it so I am a good prospect for glaucoma.

Today was absolutly beautiful. High 70's and low humidity. Our club house is putting on their annual Veterans breakfast. Free to all us vets and a school choir will be there to sing some war songs. Our family would get together, with grandma banging on the piano, and sing war songs like: Over There, She's a grand old Flag and many others. Grandma hit a lot of wrong notes but nobody cared.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update Pappy, sometimes no news is good news. To bad about the cataracts and glaucoma, those conditions are so common for us older folks. Awesome day here too Pappy, sunny and high 60s...perfect, life is good! ;)

With Veterans Day coming up, I thought I should update my service in the US Army. I entered the service on Sept. 4th, 1956. I was sent to Fort Dix, in New Jersey, for 8 weeks of basic training. Here we learned to become a killer, or so we were told, and stabbed hay bales, went on bivouac and played war for a week while small airplanes flew over and dropped little flour sacks, bombs, on us.

Next, I received orders for Aberdeen, MD for 12 more weeks of schooling in electronics and carburetor repair on heavy equipment. After this was finished, I found out that I was going to be sent to Camp Roberts, CA. Before I left here, I went home and me and my girlfriend got married so that she could join me in CA after I got established.

I flew out of MD on a TWA Constellation aircraft. Beautiful plane and first time flying for me. After arriving in Roberts, I found a nice apartment in Paso Robles, Ca. Everything was furnished, thank heavens, because we didn't have a darn thing to set up house. Our job at the base was repairing heavy equipment, tanks, personal carriers and half tracks.

Finished up up my tour here and was discharged out of Fort Ord, CA. My wife and I drove home in a 1950 Woody station wagon. This trip was quite eventful but I'll post this part later. Spend 2 years active duty and 2 years inactive until my release in 1962.

I remember visiting my oldest brother Mickey at Fort Dix when I was 6 years old. Of course, to a 6-year-old who had soldiers on the brain it was better than Disneyland. Sometimes I wish I still had some of the stuff he used to send me from the PX. :(

Hope all is well. I too lost it at Phil's joke. Going to borrow it, I think. Looking forward to your tale of the trip in the 1950 Woody station wagon.

Hey Pappy,

I missed this post before, glad I saw it tonight:) I know about that "pee your pants" feeling on a CT Scan, way fun hey, LOL! Well, I hope it all comes back good for you. I'll read a bit more of the thread and see if there's an update. Think a lot of you buddy;) Glad you got to have company, lots to yack about, and they may not want to go back North if that Arctic Blast doesn't dissipate:(

Oh, wonderful story Pappy:) How wonderful to meet your wife while you were young, and you two stayed together, love it! Thank you for serving our country, happy veterans day to you and yours:)

We, the wife and I, had a very nice breakfast at our clubhouse Tuesday morning. It was free to all veterans and I could not believe the turnout we had. There were 8 WW2 vets there and one gentleman had served 31 years in the Army. What an ovation these men received.

The brass section from our local school played songs from WW2 and did a very nice job considering these young folks had never heard these songs. The National Anthem was sung by a mother and daughter combo. Whenever I hear this anthem, I always get goosebumps. Just an old softy, I guess.

We had scrambled eggs, sausage gravy on biscuits and sausage patties. And, of course lots of coffee.

The he lady that hosted the breakfast had all the vets come up on stage and asked how many had of us had been in 5 or more years. Then 10 years and so on. When she got to 30 years, as I fore mentioned, this one man stood there. 31 years is a long time to serve your country. God bless them all.

i am starting to ramble so will cut this short for now. Stay tuned for the next exciting part of "Living the Dream." :rolleyes:
Pappy.

Wonderful Pappy, so glad you had a lovely time, and lots of good eats I'll bet:)

veterans-day.jpg

He was on earlier this morning,according to post history. The thing is here in Florida, you never know with the weather, it possible that his power got knocked off, it's happened a few times over here. Also these parts A tornado can hit just miles away and you won't know about it till you see something about it on the news.

Well, I imagine Pappy will be glad to know we were thinking about during his momentary absence. Pappy we are looking forward to your return. :)

He was on earlier this morning,according to post history. The thing is here in Florida, you never know with the weather, it possible that his power got knocked off, it's happened a few times over here. Also these parts A tornado can hit just miles away and you won't know about it till you see something about it on the news.

Well, I imagine Pappy will be glad to know we were thinking about during his momentary absence. Pappy we are looking forward to your return. :)
I think he is posting on his "snow thread", but has not been saying much in his diary/blog. ..then again he has deliveries to make for the bakery thread!:)

MMMMMMMM, now the imaginary smell of bread is wafting through my nostrils. There's actually at least three bakeries withing walking distance, one just two driveways away, where the baker used to give me extras. I stay out of there, last thing I need is more muffins, cakes and bread. But then, I've not been in there for nearly a year and I can just imagine they think I've abandoned them, maybe I should stop in just to say hi, one treat won't hurt.

OH I forgot. Pappy :wave: See you when we see you. :)

Thanks April, I didn't think about the weather, but yes, whether Charter or whoever says it shouldn't effect our signals, it does, even up here;)

Back