Old people constantly repeating the same stories.

Old Hipster

What's up with that! We can't all be in the early stages of Alzheimer.

I'm getting so bad I have to preference just about anything I tell somebody with..

"Did I already tell you this !?" Because I know I have a problem in this area.

But other folks we know just happily recount the same "event" over and over and over again.

I've heard some of the same stories from the same people so many times now, I often just want to tell then.."Stop, I'll take it from here!"

Or depending on the person...so I know what I can get away with.

"Wow no kidding !"

"Gee how many times has this happened to you ? not again !"

Yes, happens all the time, I used to forgot who I'd told a story to, it's easier now, not so many people around to tell 'em to. It's not just Alz that does it, unless I've had it a very long time.

Others do it too, if I've heard it more than twice I just say 'so you were telling me last week.'

I believe you have a point TWHRIDER.
One of the things I missed most when my husband died was the banter that sprung from any number of silly occurrences !
when one has no opportunity to practise, one loses the knack.
that is one reason why I joined here, but I have to consider replies, my brain is not as sharp as it was, out of practise I suppose.

When you don't see people every day, I think you are bound to repeat yourself..

Since retiring, I find myself doing that sometimes. In my case at least, I lose track of time, and when I last talked to who, so don't remember if I have already told them something. A lot of times these days, I'm not even sure of what day it is half of the time.:confused:

Lazy brain..I like that theory.

My husband and I make a joke out of it a lot. Especially when out driving someplace. Because then some landmark, even an restaurant, anything, will make us remember something.

"Hey did I ever tell you about...... "

"NO! I don't believe you ever did tell me that story."

I'm with rkunsaw...we have to make absolutely sure that everybody stands still long enough to hear what we have to say because it's SO important! It could even be life-changing for the listener, yanno?:rolleyes:

Since retiring, I find myself doing that sometimes. In my case at least, I lose track of time, and when I last talked to who, so don't remember if I have already told them something. A lot of times these days, I'm not even sure of what day it is half of the time.:confused:

I think there are two answers to this. For people who are busy and active (old or young), and interact with many different people all the time, it's hard to remember exactly which people you have told which story to. However, I have noticed that an early sign of dementia seems to be frequent repetition, especially repeating the exact same words over and over, each time. So I guess the reason depends on the circumstances.

I think there are two answers to this. For people who are busy and active (old or young), and interact with many different people all the time, it's hard to remember exactly which people you have told which story to. However, I have noticed that an early sign of dementia seems to be frequent repetition, especially repeating the exact same words over and over, each time. So I guess the reason depends on the circumstances.
Some people, their stories are like a running monologue, we had a gal at coffee break for a while, coffee break got to be like a bad comedy routine. She'd never shut up and you couldn't get a word in edge wise to save your soul. And often times it was the same boring story, again!

When she retired it was one of the happiest days of my life! she just annoyed the hell out of me anyway, and I can put up with a lot.

Did I tell you all that I had this date with a girl and we ended up in the cornfield in my car and...and...and

oh wait that wasnt a cornfield but in back of the firehouse and...and...oh wait that wasnt my car....have you'll heard this before?

I agree with Sunny, depends on the circumstance. When I was working, there were a lot of people around, so I would forget if I told a particular person something of interest going on in the workplace. Being the union steward (and lead person), I was a source of the latest happenings that may affect the employees. But, when unsure if I told someone already, I would initially ask, saving my time and theirs.

After retirement, it's good that we repeat our stories now and then, because usually the person we're telling them to has already forgotten, or never remembered (or consciously heard) the first telling, LOL! :eek:ld:

I can't remember who I told what to. Do it all the time! Am I worried? Nope. I figure I'm worth while listening to even if it is the same story.

Do it all the time....

My daughter is the only one who nicely tells me occasionally, but I know I do it often...and I know I post the same things over and over. You all are kind enough to overlook it.

Back