Our parent's sayings

I must say I didn't understand it myself until I did an internet search, and now I'm convinced your mother's wise words were truly worth your while listening to, even though it took time to fully appreciate them! :)
How did doing an internet search help you to understand? Can you share what you found (or one thing you found) with me?

How did doing an internet search help you to understand? Can you share what you found (or one thing you found) with me?
Yes, there were a few very good pieces of advice on how to become content with your life, or more content.

My search kept automatically converting from "Making yourself satisfied" to "Making yourself happy", but I persevered and found a sensible article listing a few things anyone could do to become more content.

I'll list the seven suggestions for you:
1). Focus on the positive.
2). Find your stress relief.
3). Don't be afraid to take time for yourself.
4). Take responsibility for your actions.
5). Be more understanding.
6). Reevaluate your relationships.
7). Live your best life.

(all in a magazine article from the US, I think its called Inc.com, shall try to post a link later, when not using this old tablet computer that prevents me doing it now)

"He/She is down to earth"

(my parents used to talk about those they believed were "down to earth" quite a lot,...., you don't hear it said so much nowadays do you).

"It's a bit black over Bill's Mother's"

(the weather looks bad in the far distance)

"Put wud in the 'ole."

(close the door!)

"Cant stop a pig in an entry"

(referring to someone who is bow legged)

Well, I'll goo to the foot of our stairs!

(I'll be darned)

A blind mon on a gollopin' hoss'ud be glad to see it.

(referring to something that was less than perfect.)

"Hold your horses"!

(this came up on a thread elsewhere and I remembered how often my parents used the saying), it is similar in meaning to this one, famous in our family for being used by my dad when telling a waiter not to rush them making their decisions about a meal:

"Hold your foot up"!

(why should anyone be told to restrain their foot, as a way of slowing them down, I've no idea, but my brother in law was very amused when my dad said this to the waiter hurrying him and my mother!)

"That will put lead in your pencil"!

(another one of my father's rude ones, but if you're not familiar with its meaning I'm afraid I'll have to decline telling you what it is! :sneaky:;):giggle:)

Pencils have always been a topic of conversation. ;)

“It's not how big your pencil is; it's how you write your name.”
And I was told "you don't need lead in your pencil if you don't have anybody to write to.."

My mother used to say "He has more (whatever) than Carter has liver pills." What a liver pill is, is anyone's guess. One of my old standards that I never hear anyone else say, is "Oh, for cryin' in a bucket!"
Carter's Little Liver Pills: Laxatives from back in the day. The expression "... more than Carter has pills" was very common.

I cant remember whether I've used this before, but as it came up in discussions "in real life" this morning here goes:

"What comes off the devil's back goes back under his belly"! :devilish:

(does it need an explanation?)

"If I've got to be like you, who is going to be like me"?

(rather quizzical comment or saying made by an old farming neighbour some years ago, perhaps referring to the way many people seem to assume we should be more like them). :)

I don't recall getting advice from my mother, except for "do as I say, not as I do". She was mostly into giving orders.

And "you've got to sweet talk your dad if you want something. Watch how your sister does it, because you're just hopeless." I never learned to do that. And my dad wasn't into that either.

Oh, I forgot, she always used to tell waiters "no dessert, we're all on diets". Except we weren't because my sister and I were skinny.

My dad just said "don't take any wooden nickels". However, he was great at giving advice, but only if asked for it. He never gave me anything but good advice.

I don't recall getting advice from my mother, except for "do as I say, not as I do". She was mostly into giving orders.
And "you've got to sweet talk your dad if you want something. Watch how your sister does it, because you're just hopeless." I never learned to do that. And my dad wasn't into that either.
Oh, I forgot, she always used to tell waiters "no dessert, we're all on diets". Except we weren't because my sister and I were skinny.
My dad just said "don't take any wooden nickels". However, he was great at giving advice, but only if asked for it. He never gave me anything but good advice.
Great comments/insights and advice in my view! :)

When I used to answer "Huh", my mother used to say "A pig says Huh, when you pull his tail he says Uh Huh." Not sure quite what that meant but it still cracks me up to this day. She also said when reacting to someone putting on airs "She acts like she's Miss Astor's Pet Horse".

My dad used to say, "The gum-chewing girl and the cud-chewing cow. They look alike but differ somehow. Oh, I know. It's the wise expression on the face of the cow". (Sorry to any gum-chewers out there.)

Back