Our parent's sayings

Heard a "cute" expression..from one having a problem...
"It's like trying to put socks on a rooster".
He was from "the deep South".
Anyone ever heard this?
That one was certainly new to me, (but I'll try to do some research!).

One more my mother used quite a lot was:

" You can't catch old birds with chaff"! :)

(heard that one before, I think it meant, "Don't try to take her for a ride, or think she's a mug"!)

One more my mother used quite a lot was:

" You can't catch old birds with chaff"! :)
(heard that one before, I think it meant, "Don't try to take her for a ride, or think she's a mug"!)
Another one of my mothers, linked to the above was this well known saying:

" You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"! :)

(I'm hoping to put the meaning in the saying to good use later,..."Wish me luck"!)

"Its clapping it together tonight"

(one for our American cousins to ponder there, but this rather long video gives a clue to the meaning):

"Its clapping it together tonight"

(one for our American cousins to ponder there, but this rather long video gives a clue to the meaning):

Okay, no guesses then, so at least on the farm where I grew up "Clapping it together" meant "freezing", (maybe it was connected with the "Brass Monkey's" saying covered in the video above! :)

My mother used to say:

"You don't have the brains God gave a goose!"
"You're as wide as a barn door!"

and her all-time classic:

"When your father gets home, he's gonna beat you bloody!"

Which he often did.

I hate remembering my childhood. It was brutal.

My mother used to say:
"You don't have the brains God gave a goose!"
"You're as wide as a barn door!" and her all-time classic:
"When your father gets home, he's gonna beat you bloody!" (Which he often did).
I hate remembering my childhood. It was brutal.
Mine was the opposite, no beatings, (certainly no blood), not the subject for this thread but I hope you came to see them differently when you grew older(?)

I never really appreciated my mother until after she died, and yet as she said very often, "I did my best Graham", plus she had an exasperated saying she used against her children sometimes, (similar to your " goose" one above), "You haven't got the brains you were born with"! :)

"You are messing about like a frog on heat"!

(I don't think I fully understood the meaning of this one till I watched one of my so called mates pretending he knew what he was doing in a kitchen..... - what my dear mother would have said to him besides the above I don't know, "You make me tired watching you" perhaps, or she might even have sworn, a very rare event in itself, and my mother claimed it wasn't something she'd done at all before marrying my dad :) )

"You've got to read my mind"! 👨‍⚕️

(One of my fathers sayings, or oft repeated comments when we've failed to understand whatever it was he'd instructed us to do on the farm 👨‍🌾)
Wow dad, (if you're listening?), you kicked off quite a thread (inadvertently), by telling your oldest son all those years ago to "read minds", (shame I couldn't really read yours entirely, and mum always did say you were a,...., well never mind, too late now to make a difference! :). ).

My father used to talk about someone having a tendency for "Romancing", or being a "Romancer",
(a "teller of tall stories" I guess he meant, and we've all known a few of those haven't we! :) ).

My hubby had the habit of coming home from night shift and asking “What’s new? It used to annoy me because he knew darn well I mostly stayed home and not much happened…Anyway this one night he walks in and of course. What’s new….you want new..you got. It I said. Your 19 year old daughter left to live in Toronto.decided 2 hours ago after she figured she did not have to follow my rules..and your 24 year old son was caught with a bunch of friends smoking weed..they are in the slammer till morning..that’s all…if I remember correctly that was the end of What’s New 😠

My hubby had the habit of coming home from night shift and asking “What’s new? It used to annoy me because he knew darn well I mostly stayed home and not much happened…Anyway this one night he walks in and of course. What’s new….you want new..you got. It I said. Your 19 year old daughter left to live in Toronto.decided 2 hours ago after she figured she did not have to follow my rules..and your 24 year old son was caught with a bunch of friends smoking weed..they are in the slammer till morning..that’s all…if I remember correctly that was the end of What’s New 😠
I know this 80-year-old American guy from New York who's dying of cancer. I visit him about once a week at the hospice. I'm going there as soon as I finish this post, as a matter of fact. Anyway, he always asks the same question as soon as I walk in the door, "What's new?" I got tired of saying, "Brunswick, York, Hampshire, Jersey, Caledonia, Mexico, Delhi, Orleans, Zealand", etc. so now I don't answer him at all. I thought it was a good idea until just now. He's on borrowed time and all he talks about is going back to the States but he's on a lot of drugs and he doesn't know what he's saying. Reading your post has just given me a guilty conscience so I guess I'll go back to telling him, "Brunswick, York, Hampshire, Jersey, Caledonia, Mexico, Delhi, Orleans, Zealand", etc. or maybe "not much" or I suppose I could make up some interesting story instead ..... 🎈

I know this 80-year-old American guy from New York who's dying of cancer. I visit him about once a week at the hospice. I'm going there as soon as I finish this post, as a matter of fact. Anyway, he always asks the same question as soon as I walk in the door, "What's new?" I got tired of saying, "Brunswick, York, Hampshire, Jersey, Caledonia, Mexico, Delhi, Orleans, Zealand", etc. so now I don't answer him at all. I thought it was a good idea until just now. He's on borrowed time and all he talks about is going back to the States but he's on a lot of drugs and he doesn't know what he's saying. Reading your post has just given me a guilty conscience so I guess I'll go back to telling him, "Brunswick, York, Hampshire, Jersey, Caledonia, Mexico, Delhi, Orleans, Zealand", etc. or maybe "not much" or I suppose I could make up some interesting story instead ..... 🎈
[/

Either my memory is going, or my parents were short on old sayings.

I do recall that my mother always said "pardon my French" after using a swear word. And she often use either "that's nice" or "bless your heart" when she meant "fu*k you".

Never heard my father use a single swear word, not one in the 60+ years I knew him. So for him it was the lack of a few words that were most memorable.

My Mom for decades, even to this day, always says:

“See You Later Alligator”
“Miss Your Smile Crocodile”

I finally found the source of this expression on a post card from the 50’s/60’s lying around her house.

Alligator.jpg

Back