Our parent's sayings

Most likely all these sayings from my Grandmother will already have been posted.
The cat can look at the Queen
If Johnny told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it? My response to this was, " "Who's Johnny "? :unsure:
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. huh?
You would forget your head if it was not screwed on. I had nightmares about this. :eek:
I'm sure it was only a lick and a promise.
Who's got a bee in their bonnet then?
I'll give you what for.

Last edited:
"We are as we are"! :oops::unsure::sneaky:

(what can we make of that one of my father's sayings, does it refer to each of us being unique individuals, yes I think so, but I think the real rub of the simple saying is that it infers people can be a little odd or awkward, and this is to be expected!)

Most likely all these sayings from my Grandmother will already have been posted.
The cat can look at the Queen
If Johnny told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it? My response to this was, " "Who's Johnny "? :unsure:
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. huh?
You would forget your head if it was not screwed on. I had nightmares about this. :eek:
I'm sure it was only a lick and a promise.
Who's got a bee in their bonnet then?
I'll give you what for.
All...so universal! Heard ' round the world..and passed down to the generations..that we've said to our kids. 🤗

"In two shakes of a lamb's tail"!

(you've got that the meaning of that exclamation right?) :)
We heard this in a Bob Hope and Bing Crosby "Road to" movie, where they were in Australia and were with the sheep/lambs. My son, when he heard it was young, and he broke out laughing and we joined him. So he would say it often just to get a laugh from us.

Both my parents would say the same thing just before they deal out whatever corporal punishment we were deserving of in their eyes: "Believe it or not, this is gonna hurt me more than it's gonna hurt you!" I remember always wanting to turn around and say; " OK then, wanna trade places?" Of course I never did :(

"You are going at it like a bull at a gate"!

("showing too much haste", an erstwhile saying in these err parts, especially said quite often by my dad).

Another in a similar vein was said by a slightly notorious neighbouring farmer, (notorious for his drinking!):

"If you are ever in a hurry take your time"! :)

My parents didn't really have sayings, but on the other hand, my Mom's sisters had a lot of them. My Aunt Mary said to my sister "Are you going out with those skinny legs" After she said it a few times to my sister I said " No she is borrowing your daughter's really fat legs"Even though my sister is older than me I always protected her against insults.

My parents didn't really have sayings, but on the other hand, my Mom's sisters had a lot of them. My Aunt Mary said to my sister "Are you going out with those skinny legs" After she said it a few times to my sister I said " No she is borrowing your daughter's really fat legs"Even though my sister is older than me I always protected her against insults.
I once called a local minister or curate "an old goat", much to his amusement, and he made the most of it by telling my mother. I can't exactly remember why I said it, probably because I was being teased in some way by him, as he was a joker, though I remember where I was standing, at our farm gate, (so it obviously made a big impression on me!). :)

When my mom would be extra mad at one of us and she might say or do something she might regret...
I'd hear her mumble, "Take the Wheel".

Never understood that saying until later in life.
She was very religious and then I figured out who she wanted to 'Take the Wheel'.

O.K.Thanks! 😉
Can I just throw in an appreciative, (if slightly self congratulatory) comment about the way this thread has stood the test of time, and so many forum members have chosen to contribute and/or viewed the comments "logged for prosperity"!

I'm glad now I didn't post my attempted breakdown of posts trying to assess the number of sayings repeated etc., (that might have finished the thread off!).

So, "O.K. Thanks" to everyone, you'd have made my parents proud I'm sure. :)

Back