People Here Shocked About Us Moving

First of all, I'm sure you shouldn't let it bother you but I know what you mean. We just retired and moved from SE Tenn. to Maine. We knew when we went south 11 years ago, for work, that we would miss New England and we are delighted to be back. Both of us have northern Atlantic ancestors and the winter weather agrees with us just fine - especially since we no longer HAVE to try to get to work. When we mentioned re-locating for retirement, most people were astounded that we would actually move NORTH...and there were a few who have no idea where Maine is either! However, the more we talked about it - the more people we ran into that were doing the same thing! I have a SE TN. friend currently looking for a place near us in Maine. As we settle in I can assure you that we cannot imagine living any where else! We do have family up and down the east coast so I know we have places to go, to recharge and warm up for a week or two, if the winter gets the better of us. Good luck and follow your bliss!

I hope you are happy, wherever you land, CR!:eek:nthego:
44f424221aaa202757ee8a91c800f484--star-wars-art-geek-art.jpg

ClassicRocker, I like my four seasons and not one for hot weather, so I'd take Colorado or Wyoming over Florida for sure! I think that most people think of seniors retiring in warm states like Florida, Arizona, etc. and that's probably why they're shocked. Less people and traffic and more scenic views and wildlife are big pluses for many of us.

First of all, I'm sure you shouldn't let it bother you but I know what you mean. We just retired and moved from SE Tenn. to Maine. We knew when we went south 11 years ago, for work, that we would miss New England and we are delighted to be back. Both of us have northern Atlantic ancestors and the winter weather agrees with us just fine - especially since we no longer HAVE to try to get to work. When we mentioned re-locating for retirement, most people were astounded that we would actually move NORTH...and there were a few who have no idea where Maine is either! However, the more we talked about it - the more people we ran into that were doing the same thing! I have a SE TN. friend currently looking for a place near us in Maine. As we settle in I can assure you that we cannot imagine living any where else! We do have family up and down the east coast so I know we have places to go, to recharge and warm up for a week or two, if the winter gets the better of us. Good luck and follow your bliss!

A big “Thank You!” for understanding my Thread and how we feel.

ClassicRocker, I like my four seasons and not one for hot weather, so I'd take Colorado or Wyoming over Florida for sure! I think that most people think of seniors retiring in warm states like Florida, Arizona, etc. and that's probably why they're shocked. Less people and traffic and more scenic views and wildlife are big pluses for many of us.

Thank You, also.

So, what would you think if folks where you live were completely shocked that you wanted to move from their idea of "Utopia"?

Much the same with folk’s reaction to our move to the cabin ‘in the sticks’

They always always talk about how they couldn’t stand using an outhouse, and would never ever give up their modern amenities

My usual reply is a 'thank you, hate crowds'

Or

‘and this from someone who poops in their house’

Good on you, CR

Much the same with folk’s reaction to our move to the cabin ‘in the sticks’

They always always talk about how they couldn’t stand using an outhouse, and would never ever give up their modern amenities

My usual reply is a 'thank you, hate crowds'

Or

‘and this from someone who poops in their house’

Good on you, CR

Great reply! 👍 Have to admit, wife and I are LOL.😁

Have the News App of the Colorado city (actually "town") we are in hopes (seriously thinking) about moving to and they have a Cowboy Church there. When we lived in Parker, we went to a Cowboy Church in Colorado Springs aka "the Springs". It was a real nice Service. Just another thing Jacksonville doesn't have that we like.

After I told my wife, before she went to work, that there was a Cowboy Church there, she said "What the heck are we doing living here?" Well, we "thought", but those "thoughts" didn't work out.

I've moved a few times in my life and have encountered a similar reaction. I have chalked it up to folks having a vested interest in believing that where they live is the best place of all. Otherwise, why would they be there?

I really think that's all it is. Different strokes...

It never bothered me. For the record, I like both Florida and Colorado.

Fair tides to you!

Someone in the Florida Relocation forum said that he moved to Tennessee and was pretty surprise at how many former Florida folks live there. He also said that all of them have nothing good to say about Florida. We don't think Florida is THAT bad, but it has taken us 10 years to figure out that it's not for us any longer. Basically the only thing that has kept us here is the lack of finances to move, but we are working hard on that so we can. We will both miss my wife's nice paying job, but.

We will have plenty of things to sell, if we can sell most of it. I told my wife, and she agreed, "I don't want to take anything to (wherever we move to) that will remind us of living in Florida.........other than photos we've taken since living here".

I've moved a few times in my life and have encountered a similar reaction. I have chalked it up to folks having a vested interest in believing that where they live is the best place of all. Otherwise, why would they be there?

I really think that's all it is. Different strokes...

It never bothered me. For the record, I like both Florida and Colorado.

Fair tides to you!

BTW, your above statement "Fair tides to you!" remind us that, as power boaters, there is no Tides in Colorado. Here, it could be an absolutely beautiful day, but if the Tide isn't right, our boat can't go out. We've got stuck a couple of times when the tide was too low.

Someone in the Florida Relocation forum said that he moved to Tennessee and was pretty surprise at how many former Florida folks live there. He also said that all of them have nothing good to say about Florida. We don't think Florida is THAT bad, but it has taken us 10 years to figure out that it's not for us any longer. Basically the only thing that has kept us here is the lack of finances to move, but we are working hard on that so we can. We will both miss my wife's nice paying job, but.

We will have plenty of things to sell, if we can sell most of it. I told my wife, and she agreed, "I don't want to take anything to (wherever we move to) that will remind us of living in Florida.........other than photos we've taken since living here".

My Aunt and Uncle are two that started out their retirement in Florida and now live in Tenn. When they first retired and went to Fla they were in the Daytona area. There was a run of about 5 hurricanes in their first two years where my Uncle had to board and unboard the house for every one. He said "this isn't the retirement I had in mind", lol. Within 6 months they had relocated to Tenn. and have been there for about 10 years now and they love it.

Sure glad my wife agrees with me about moving and the possibility of living back in winter snow again. Why? We met a couple in Walmart today who were looking at saltwater fishing rigs. The husband was wearing an Army Ranger baseball cap and that caught my attention. I told him that we sold and gave away all of our saltwater fishing stuff and that none of it was ever used. Then his wife and my wife joined into the conversation. I told them about our possible move back to Colorado. He was wondering about the COL there, because he heard that it was high. I found out the COL is high in Denver and the metro area, but we were looking at a town 40 miles north of Denver, which wouldn't be nearly as high as Denver. His wife started talking about how cold Colorado can get, which it can, but not like Minnesota or Wisconsin or even Buffalo, NY.

So, it appears that he might not mind moving there (Colorado), but she definitely wouldn't.

Have the News App of the Colorado city (actually "town") we are in hopes (seriously thinking) about moving to and they have a Cowboy Church there. When we lived in Parker, we went to a Cowboy Church in Colorado Springs aka "the Springs". It was a real nice Service. Just another thing Jacksonville doesn't have that we like.

After I told my wife, before she went to work, that there was a Cowboy Church there, she said "What the heck are we doing living here?" Well, we "thought", but those "thoughts" didn't work out.
What's a Cowboy Church? Is it exactly what it sounds like? :rolleyes:

I would more interested in informing the fish in the sea than neighbors that were shocked by your move. Two places i would never live permanently are FL and Calee-for-ni-yea. But then, that is understandable because I live in Texas:).

I would more interested in informing the fish in the sea than neighbors that were shocked by your move. Two places i would never live permanently are FL and Calee-for-ni-yea. But then, that is understandable because I live in Texas:).

And yer gittin' ready for Fouth of Jooolah, barbeque

Oh how I remember those

We have visited Colorado and Wyoming, lived in Jacksonville for a year. They all have far too much winter for our liking. There was snow in JAX the year we lived there. Sailing in the St John's river was nice in the warmer weather.

I would not consider any place north of Tarpon Springs, FL.

I lived for about 5 years in Boca Raton, way south on the Atlantic coast of Florida. Was glad to leave Florida and we ended up in Colorado above Denver in Longmont. Many years there and when retired we moved to Cortez Colorado till doctors advise move to any where below 5,000 ft. So we then moved to southern Arizona, Pheonix or south, and really found a nice winter climate to enjoy. Summer can be a bit hard to handle for a few short weeks. You really do need A/C then. Mostly the temps in the south east, east, etc., of 85 or 90 with high humidity can be worse than south Arizona at 110 and low humidity. But then in Arizona they often toss in a record hot of 115, or 119 my highest, and A/C needed. Last couple years back in Ohio. Sure miss Arizona. Maybe next year.

I think it's normal to want go back to a state or city where you lived, especially if it holds good memories. One thing I do know about Florida; the families that have lived there for generations know what may be in store for them.

And I wouldn't care less about what someone thinks.

Back