People Here Shocked About Us Moving

I've moved so many times throughout my life .. even to Australia. My personal feeling is, it's not so much where you live, as who you're living with.

Here in Florida we get people who want to escape cold weather and snow. There are a lot of fresh water lakes and boating here. Many who move here are into fishing and boating and I have three lakes within 15 minutes of my house with boat ramps and plenty of fishing. Heck, I can walk three blocks and fish if I wanted to. Aside from the lakes, we have something you do not, lots of ocean front land and the ability to sail the Gulf and Atlantic Ocean to catch the really big fish. There are nature trails, hunting and the Everglades for wildlife and hiking. Best of all there is no snow. We see many people who come here, move back home. No matter what excuse they make it is out of being homesick and an inability to adapt to new things. There is comfort in the familiar. MY wife and I moved 13 times and are living in our 9th home so we are gypsies who adjust to new surroundings very easily and enthusiastically too. We like change and the new things we can do and learn.

My wife was homesick the first time we relocated. She cried all the time so I arrange a job transfer to go back to our home city. It was not long before my wife realized that her memories of where we used to live were only the good ones and even those were idolized and made more then they were. The things she misses she actually only did a few times a year. She forgot the snow and driving in it. It was only a year before we moved again. When we moved back up we cited the humidity in Texas, the people, the lack of this and that, etc. when in fact it was homesickness that prompted the move.

MY sister gets all of $600 a month in Social Security and yet she refuses to move. She can sell her house and buy a new one her cash, still having money left over to provide a better income than she now has. Her has has 5 levels with stairs and no matter what logical argument I make, it comes down to not being able to live someone else where she knows no one or where anything is. She said she would have to find new doctors and get a new driver’s license. Make new friends only to have her smarter friends mover away leaving her with no friends at all.

When I move I do leave behind things I enjoyed but each new place has new things to enjoy and plenty of the same stuff I enjoyed back home.

We moved to central Florida almost 10 years ago. From Missouri. My husband was born and raised in Key West. I love it here. I have been surprised at the number of people we have met who are "moving back north". The cold, snow and ice just aren't for me. I haven't missed it at all. But I know some folks are wired differently.

We moved to central Florida almost 10 years ago. From Missouri. My husband was born and raised in Key West. I love it here. I have been surprised at the number of people we have met who are "moving back north". The cold, snow and ice just aren't for me. I haven't missed it at all. But I know some folks are wired differently.

Same here, Blue! I'll admit I like getting away in the summer, but the other eight months make up for it. These old bones don't like cold.

Our bones don't necessarily like cold either, but "Old Man Winter" just comes with the area/state we plan on moving to. People here in Jacksonville, and other parts of Florida that we've visited, have no idea why we'd miss the wildlife in Colorado and have absolutely no interest in Western stuff, as in rodeo or Indian Pow Wows.

Heck, neither my wife's family or what's left of my family, have absolutely no interest in the things we like. They were all pretty shocked to see a photo of my wife shooting her S & W 9mm at a target at the range.

I know what you mean by wild life Classic Rocker, because I lived a year in Grand Junction Colo in the 70s. But I also spent 5 months in FL and I dearly love it there. Its too far from family or I'd consider living there full time.

But in regard to wildlife, there are over 4000 black bear in FL. One of our friends in Naples, FL had a bear climb his back fence and eat his dog's food. So they now feed the dog indoors and watch out for the bears. I also saw gators and some sort of small land crabs that would come out on the side walk sometimes. But if you don't like FL you and your wife should get out of there as soon as you can. You aren't getting any younger.

I know what you mean by wild life Classic Rocker, because I lived a year in Grand Junction Colo in the 70s. But I also spent 5 months in FL and I dearly love it there. Its too far from family or I'd consider living there full time.

But in regard to wildlife, there are over 4000 black bear in FL. One of our friends in Naples, FL had a bear climb his back fence and eat his dog's food. So they now feed the dog indoors and watch out for the bears. I also saw gators and some sort of small land crabs that would come out on the side walk sometimes. But if you don't like FL you and your wife should get out of there as soon as you can. You aren't getting any younger.

Sorry that I didn't reply to you sooner.

My wife loves seeing deer, whether it's White-Tail or Mule, but, in 10 years here, we haven't seen a single deer. We've had people tell us they have, but we definitely haven't. We now can see White-Tail, Mule and Elk, but that's hunting on tv on the Outdoor Channel. Not the same! We have no problem watching hunting on tv, but we don't do it.

Last time we seen a bear, we were coming out of Yellowstone National Park. It was a young one climbing down a hill and a Park Warden was parked by the side of the highway, with his yellow overhead rotary's on, to make sure the bear was safe going across the highway.

Now, have seen a gator here. It appeared to be a "teenager" age and was laying by a small swampy pond by a boat launch. I took pictures of it and it looked right at me, as if to say, "go ahead, which side of me do you want". Just continued to lay by the water. Other than the one gator, in 10 years, just lots and lots of Geico lizards. Lots! And Oriental Cockroaches aka Water Bugs, can definitely get into homes and apartments. We've seen them as big as my thumb.

Missing the Colorado/Rocky Mountain wildlife is one of a few major things for us.

On a Relocation Forum that I'm on, there is a guy, and his family, who have moved from Miami to south of Denver and love it there. He had all kinds of complaints about south Florida.

This has got to be the longest house move in living history... and then we'll have the longest settling in thread.... *goody* :darth::excited:

:what1::crying:

:beatdeadhorse:

Vinny, it's Florida Cody is trying to escape from!!

Thank goodness there are ladies here with a great sense of humour.
:lofl:

Good luck with your move Rockr.
When is it again? :shrug:

Yes, but we've much rather see deer and elk, than gators and Geico lizards.
You are absolutely RIGHT Rockr. To be honest I hadn’t even thought of that BUT being an outdoors woman I’ would NOT enjoy swimming with sharks and gators. Not in the least. Great point.

And I’d like to apologize for poking fun. Now I’m feeling like part of the MEAN GIRLS and I don’t wish to partake in any type bullying. I don’t blame you in the least for wanting to move where you feel passionate about. Everyone should love where they live.

Good luck in your move Rockr.

keesha I hope no-one sees any of us as bullying, this is more of a leg pull than anything. Most of us have known Classicrockr ( Cody) for a long time..and have heard this story equally for a long time.

Cody.. I've just had a thought ..if you don't want to see gheko's and gator, and would rather see Elk & Deer.. and have not nice summers, mild winters with the occasional snow.. you could always move across the pond to here... :D... WE even have Rodeo....

http://www.rodeocowboys.org.uk/What.htm

keesha I hope no-one sees any of us as bullying, this is more of a leg pull than anything. Most of us have known Classicrockr ( Cody) for a long time..and have heard this story equally for a long time.

Cody.. I've just had a thought ..if you don't want to see gheko's and gator, and would rather see Elk & Deer.. and have not nice summers, mild winters with the occasional snow.. you could always move across the pond to here... :D... WE even have Rodeo....

http://www.rodeocowboys.org.uk/What.htm

Well I got a rep comment that made me aware of my words and I put my feet in Rockr ‘s shoes and wouldn’t want to feel like that. I was joking but sometimes that type of joking can be quite hurtful which is why I said what I did.

Last summer, my wife and I took our youngest Granddaughter and her friend to Florida for a week. We spent time in the Everglades and did a 2-hour airboat ride. We saw a lot of beautiful vegetation and even some animals. Many gators, (of course), along with some turtles, a herd of small deer, a few manatees, a few pythons and only the tracks of what looked to be a rather large cat. That area is known to have some panthers, but we didn't see the cat, darn it. When we first arrived in Ft. Lauderdale and drove out to take our airboat ride, I only had reservations for a one-hour ride. I wanted to extend it, but they were all booked for the rest of the day, so we went back two days later and did another two-hour ride. It's unbelievable and I highly recommend doing it if you are ever in that area of Florida.

When I downloaded all of my pictures, I never labeled them and now all I have are hundreds of albums on my computer with dates only. I tried to find my album of pictures that I took from the cockpit when we flew from D.C. out to L.A., but so far no luck. I'm beginning to think they may have been on my other computer that went capooey. I lost the hard drive and the motherboard all at the same time two years ago. That's when I learned to do back-ups of my albums onto a flash-drive. I am going to keep looking because I really want the pictures that I took from the flight deck. Some really beautiful sights as we flew over the Rockies and down to Salt Lake City before flying into L.A. I also took some nighttime pictures over New York City, which I thought were really good, but I may be biased when it comes to my pictures.

Last summer, my wife and I took our youngest Granddaughter and her friend to Florida for a week. We spent time in the Everglades and did a 2-hour airboat ride. We saw a lot of beautiful vegetation and even some animals. Many gators, (of course), along with some turtles, a herd of small deer, a few manatees, a few pythons and only the tracks of what looked to be a rather large cat. That area is known to have some panthers, but we didn't see the cat, darn it. When we first arrived in Ft. Lauderdale and drove out to take our airboat ride, I only had reservations for a one-hour ride. I wanted to extend it, but they were all booked for the rest of the day, so we went back two days later and did another two-hour ride. It's unbelievable and I highly recommend doing it if you are ever in that area of Florida.

When I downloaded all of my pictures, I never labeled them and now all I have are hundreds of albums on my computer with dates only. I tried to find my album of pictures that I took from the cockpit when we flew from D.C. out to L.A., but so far no luck. I'm beginning to think they may have been on my other computer that went capooey. I lost the hard drive and the motherboard all at the same time two years ago. That's when I learned to do back-ups of my albums onto a flash-drive. I am going to keep looking because I really want the pictures that I took from the flight deck. Some really beautiful sights as we flew over the Rockies and down to Salt Lake City before flying into L.A. I also took some nighttime pictures over New York City, which I thought were really good, but I may be biased when it comes to my pictures.

As I tell many, "there is a major difference between living in Florida and visiting it for a few days". Many people who are considering moving to any part of Colorado are told to visit during the winter months, if possible when snow is flying and freezing temps are happening, to get the REAL feel of Colorado. Well, wife and I have "been there done that" when we lived there for 5 1/2 years. We already know about the winter months and will take them over the summer humidity and heat in Florida.

i'm all for you moving to Colorado. :D Take along several thousand people with you, would you? LOL

Well, one thing that is a fact, there are a LOT of folks who live in Florida. It has become quite populated. Even the Orlando area has become populated and the widening of I-4, by Orlando, shows that.

But, many would never chose to move to Colorado. They'd rather move to Georgia or South Carolina. However, I've heard that there are a lot of ex-Florida people living in Tennessee now.

Back