Perfectly Frank

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster
Been a Sinatra fan for many years and still rate this song as one of his finest--enjoy?

Thank you, George! Wonderful story behind the song:

"Softly, As I Leave You" began life as an Italian song called "Piano," written by composer Antonio De Vita and lyricist Giorgio Calabrese. It was given an English lyric by Hal Shaper in which a man quietly leaves a sleeping woman with whom he has had a long-term relationship (in order to avoid facing her). Some might find such an action cowardly, and the lyric doesn't do much to explain the situation, but in musical terms the song is a lovely ballad."

"British singer Matt Monro introduced "Softly, As I Leave You" in a recording for Parlophone that made the British Top Ten in 1962. Released on Liberty in the U.S., the single made the bottom reaches of the charts before being withdrawn in favor of a shortened version, which was not successful. Two years later, Frank Sinatra recorded "Softly, As I Leave You" with a lush Ernie Freeman arrangement, and it made the Top 40, becoming Sinatra's biggest singles hit in three years. That assured the song's status as a minor standard, and it was recorded by a host of middle-of-the-road singers in the ensuing years."

Piano (In Italian)
English Lyrics (LINK)

Last edited:

CrackerJack

UK England
I am a big fan of Frank and love all his music. I am not aufait with his long career as a singer, musician, actor and entertainer and will follow this Thread with interest, Meanderer.

Pepper

If it were true, and Mia knows for sure, she is guilty of a felony as she willingly took child support from Woody all those years.

Catlady

Mia Farrow said her son, Ronan Farrow, was Sinatra's son, but Tina Sinatra claims her father had a vasectomy before Ronan's birth. I still think that Ronan looks like Sinatra and not Woody Allen. Although, he mostly looks like Mia.

drifter

I liked Frank Sinatra, listened to many of his songs, enjoyed most of them. When I think of his music one seems to always stand out.
That one is "My Way." Every tiime I think of Frank or hear one of his songs, I also recall a profile written about Frank Sinatra and published
in the 1966 edition of Esquire. Since that timeI have re-read the article several times. Here is the cover on that article:
38B9FE20-1C8F-4B44-B80A-C5854FD81574_4_5005_c.jpeg
The title of the article was/is, "Frank Sinatra Has A Cold."
I think of that article because it is, I think, the best aricle or essay I have ever read. It was written by Gay Talese.
In fact I think I'll try to find that writ on the internet and read it again, and while doing so, I'll play some of Sinatra's
music as I read.

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster
I liked Frank Sinatra, listened to many of his songs, enjoyed most of them. When I think of his music one seems to always stand out.
That one is "My Way." Every tiime I think of Frank or hear one of his songs, I also recall a profile written about Frank Sinatra and published
in the 1966 edition of Esquire. Since that timeI have re-read the article several times. Here is the cover on that article:
View attachment 91633
The title of the article was/is, "Frank Sinatra Has A Cold."
I think of that article because it is, I think, the best aricle or essay I have ever read. It was written by Gay Talese.
In fact I think I'll try to find that writ on the internet and read it again, and while doing so, I'll play some of Sinatra's
music as I read.
@drifter below is the link to that article.
Frank Sinatra Has a Cold (LINK)