Post one favorite photo you took (max 1 per day) with some details.

aug22_2020_mystic_charlesmorgan3.jpg

1841 whaler Chas. W. Morgan docked at Mystic Seaport, CT.

Last edited:
wilhelmstrasse1965b.jpg

This photo may be of interest to people who are into historical events and times. Taken at the height of the cold war in the mid 1960s, it shows the Berlin Wall along Zimmerstraße between Wilhelmstraße and Friedrichstraße (Checkpoint Charlie). I was standing on top of a structure and feeling good that the army was nearby (showing their 50-cal to the sometimes-trigger happy East German Grenztruppen (border guards). Those were interesting (i.e., dangerous) times.

The exact spot of the structure I was standing on is located at coordinates 52.507350, 13.385930. There's a building there now but you can still see bits of the wall on the west side of Wilhelmstraße.

Photo was taken with a 35 mm Yashica SLR, later converted to digital/jpg and most recently restored. The original had greatly faded when converted and was very spotted and grainy. For those who're interested, I used Photoshop, Topaz DeNoise AI, Luminar AI, Topaz Sharpen AI and a good number of hours of my time to try to make the photo presentable.

wilhelmstrasse1965b.jpg

This photo may be of interest to people who are into historical events and times. Taken at the height of the cold war in the mid 1960s, it shows the Berlin Wall along Zimmerstraße between Wilhelmstraße and Friedrichstraße (Checkpoint Charlie). I was standing on top of a structure and feeling good that the army was nearby (showing their 50-cal to the sometimes-trigger happy East German Grenztruppen (border guards). Those were interesting (i.e., dangerous) times.

The exact spot of the structure I was standing on is located at coordinates 52.507350, 13.385930. There's a building there now but you can still see bits of the wall on the west side of Wilhelmstraße.

Photo was taken with a 35 mm Yashica SLR, later converted to digital/jpg and most recently restored. The original had greatly faded when converted and was very spotted and grainy. For those who're interested, I used Photoshop, Topaz DeNoise AI, Luminar AI, Topaz Sharpen AI and a good number of hours of my time to try to make the photo presentable.
you're very clever at restoring old photos.. I wouldn't have the patience unfortunately... BTW I was there in Germany the day the first part of the wall was torn down

Last edited:
you're very clever at restoring old photos.. I wouldn't have the patience unfortunately... BTW I was there in Germany the day the first part of the wall was torn down
Several thoughts: First, thank you. Second, it is good to have good tools whose use can make you look good - perhaps better than you would otherwise. AI tools can be a boon to people with no patience or dislike of more complicated editors. Third, the wall coming down was a really big deal for any freedom loving person who'd seen the other side up close and personal. You were fortunate to see it happen.

Several thoughts: First, thank you. Second, it is good to have good tools whose use can make you look good - perhaps better than you would otherwise. AI tools can be a boon to people with no patience or dislike of more complicated editors. Third, the wall coming down was a really big deal for any freedom loving person who'd seen the other side up close and personal. You were fortunate to see it happen.
yes indeed I was fortunate to witness a massive hisorical things like that occur , I was working and living in Frankfurt at the end of the 80's...

fall-goose.jpg

A fall photo taken in a nearby town's park. The pond in the park attracts a lot of geese, resulting in a perpetual, decades long battle between the geese and the town's animal control officer. The catalyst in the war is all the poop the geese leave all over the park - in the baseball fields,k tennis courts, playgrounds, picnic areas, walkways, etc. The last time I rode thru the park, the geese hadn't lost.

Last edited:
fall-goose.jpg

A fall photo taken in a nearby town;s park. The pond in the park attracts a lot of geese, resulting in a perpetual, decades long battle between the geese and the town's animal control officer. The catalyst in the war is all the poop the geese leave all over the park - in the baseball fields,k tennis courts, playgrounds, picnic areas, walkways, etc. The last time I rode thru the park, the geese hadn't lost.
Stunning photo Jon, just beautiful. Thank you.

oct22_2020_tobaccobarns.jpg

Old Tobacco Barns: The area along the Connecticut River in MA and CT was famous for its "Connecticut shade" type of tobacco. It was and is considered a premium wrapper leaf for cigars; however, demand has reduced to an extent that there are only a few pockets in CT where it is still grown (e.g., Windsor, East Windsor, Suffield and Enfield). Farm land along the river in MA, such as the area above grows mostly food crops. I haven't seen tobacco drying in these barns for years.

Those are pumpkins. Half Moon Bay is known for it's pumpkins and their pumpkin festival.
I at first thought they were pumpkins, but the colors threw me off, the white ones.
And I've seen cauliflower in those 2 colors..., anyway, it was a toss up.

I've always wanted to go to Half Moon Bay...been so close.

I at first thought they were pumpkins, but the colors threw me off, the white ones.
And I've seen cauliflower in those 2 colors..., anyway, it was a toss up.

I've always wanted to go to Half Moon Bay...been so close.

If you're not a fan of sitting in traffic it's best to avoid the area on warm days and anytime in October.

There are some nice things there, there's a winery just outside of town where they also have glassblowing and where one can take glassblowing classes. My wife and I know the glassblower there and he and my wife have worked together from time to time.

It Was Nothing: It seemed like something at the time. I was looking out the window of my hotel room in Paris for first and last time and took the (now-restored) picture below. We'd no sooner checked in and gone to our rooms when the manager let it be known he thought we were "merde" and threw us out. Almost out of money and no place to sleep seemed like a big deal at the time but it really wasn't. The problem was solved by hot-bunking one very cheap motel room under the name of someone not American.

[IMG]

I had assumed we were thrown out because Americans were not well liked in Paris at the time. Most of the rest of the country was very friendly but the Paris climate seemed to be some unholy mixture of the attitudes of de Gaulle, Sartre, Napoleon, Buffon and Roger with an extra dose of haughtiness and anger thrown in. I remember asking why we were thrown out. The response was, "It was nothing," which was fitting.

It Was Nothing: It seemed like something at the time. I was looking out the window of my hotel room in Paris for first and last time and took the (now-restored) picture below. We'd no sooner checked in and gone to our rooms when the manager let it be known he thought we were "merde" and threw us out. Almost out of money and no place to sleep seemed like a big deal at the time but it really wasn't. The problem was solved by hot-bunking one very cheap motel room under the name of someone not American.

[IMG]

I had assumed we were thrown out because Americans were not well liked in Paris at the time. Most of the rest of the country was very friendly but the Paris climate seemed to be some unholy mixture of the attitudes of de Gaulle, Sartre, Napoleon, Buffon and Roger with an extra dose of haughtiness and anger thrown in. I remember asking why we were thrown out. The response was, "It was nothing," which was fitting.
Yes, I found the Parisians to be rude to us visiting American's also. But, they took our $$$$.

Loved visiting the sights in Paris...

Back