Post one favorite photo you took (max 1 per day) with some details.

Photo of humpback whales I took while on a whale watching tour at Hervey Bay in Queensland.

vae31gI.jpg
Barnacles on the whale ...... Wow! Wonder if that is an irritant to them or just, oh well?

Taken late last year, this photo shows a boat with some history - a boat of salvation.

aug22_2020_mystic_gerda.jpg

The Gerda III was a Danish boat built in 1926 as a lighthouse tender that had a storied and heroic career. Henny Sinding was the daughter of a Danish officer who was in charge of Denmark's Lighthouse and Buoy Service. Henny used the boat and a small crew to rescue Jews from Nazi-occupied Denmark in WWII. Refugees were secretly taken to a warehouse along Copenhagen’s waterfront and smuggled aboard the Gerda III, hiding in the cargo hold. The boat then set out on her official lighthouse supply duties, but detoured to the coast of neutral Sweden and put the refugees ashore ashore there. The vessel was regularly boarded and checked by German soldier but they never discovered the hidden refugees. The Gerda III rescued approximately 300 Jews, in small groups. The boat was later donated to the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York City by an act of the Danish Parliament and is cared for by Mystic Seaport (where I photographed her).

Below is an internet picture of Henny in her Brigade uniform. After the rescue effort, Henny joined the Danish armed resistance blowing up things that would aid the Germans and eventually escaped to Sweden before the war was over. Henny died in 2009.

[IMG]

Taken late last year, this photo shows a boat with some history - a boat of salvation.

aug22_2020_mystic_gerda.jpg

The Gerda III was a Danish boat built in 1926 as a lighthouse tender that had a storied and heroic career. Henny Sinding was the daughter of a Danish officer who was in charge of Denmark's Lighthouse and Buoy Service. Henny used the boat and a small crew to rescue Jews from Nazi-occupied Denmark in WWII. Refugees were secretly taken to a warehouse along Copenhagen’s waterfront and smuggled aboard the Gerda III, hiding in the cargo hold. The boat then set out on her official lighthouse supply duties, but detoured to the coast of neutral Sweden and put the refugees ashore ashore there. The vessel was regularly boarded and checked by German soldier but they never discovered the hidden refugees. The Gerda III rescued approximately 300 Jews, in small groups. The boat was later donated to the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York City by an act of the Danish Parliament and is cared for by Mystic Seaport (where I photographed her).

Below is an internet picture of Henny in her Brigade uniform. After the rescue effort, Henny joined the Danish armed resistance blowing up things that would aid the Germans and eventually escaped to Sweden before the war was over. Henny died in 2009.

[IMG]
Such a clear photo Jon. Found your history of the boat very moving and appreciated the photo of Henny which accompanied it. You really brought the story to life, many thanks.

Dawn of a New Millenium.

HFLY5w0.jpg

I took these photos in great optimism and excitement for the next thousand years from our apartment on the Gold Coast Australia at the dawn on the new millennium in 2000. Who would have thought just 20 years later we would have been in the grip of a deadly worldwide pandemic. Sad.

Last edited:
Looks lovely holly. I'd love to try a holiday on a boat like that or a narrow boat but there's alway the question of accessibility for me
we own a 70 foot narrowboat , most people on this forum have seen it.. ... access for you on a narrowboat would be easy, just need a ramp to get onto the deck... and another small one to get down into the galley ( double doors down to the galley) and you'd be fine... (y)..a cabin cruiser would be a little more difficult for you

Last edited:
we own a 70 foot narrowboat , most people on this forum have seen it.. ... access for you on a narrowboat would be easy, just need a ramp to get onto the deck... and another small one to get down into the galley ( double doors down to the galley) and you'd be fine... (y)..a cabin cruiser would be a little more difficult for you
Sounds lovely. I guess once on board I could probably scoot around on my hands and bum like I often do at home 😄

Himeji Castle Japan. I travelled round Japan in April 2019 during cherry blossom time. It was so beautiful. Himeji Castle is in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice. There's a fairly stiff slope up to the castle, but there were loads of helpful Japanese people to help wheel me up. Inside you can climb up to the top floor, the stairs are steep as hell but I managed to scoot all the way up on my hands and bottom. Luckily I could take a breather on each floor

Himeji Castle.jpeg

Himeji Castle Japan. I travelled round Japan in April 2019 during cherry blossom time. It was so beautiful. Himeji Castle is in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice. There's a fairly stiff slope up to the castle, but there were loads of helpful Japanese people to help wheel me up. Inside you can climb up to the top floor, the stairs are steep as hell but I managed to scoot all the way up on my hands and bottom. Luckily I could take a breather on each floor

View attachment 150494
ha!! you're superhuman..... :D ... you've fooled us all... :ROFLMAO:

Back