Post one favorite photo you took (max 1 per day) with some details.

Cabin on the London Eye on a dull day on my 60th birthday ... we were on the cabin above...

DSCF3105.jpg

Level with us now...

DSCF3109.jpg
:love: Such a spectacular ride.

The sight and sound of waterwheels on working grist mills is a treat when you're out riding (or just out and about).

jun24_2014_waterwheel.jpg

This mill is just down the road from the old Wayside Inn pictured previously. It was built (i.e. paid for) by Henry Ford in one of his quests to preserve Americana. The mill still grinds flour and cornmeal on occasion and is a popular backdrop for wedding photos. It is located at coordinates 42.357190, -71.473935.

The sight and sound of waterwheels on working grist mills is a treat when you're out riding (or just out and about).

jun24_2014_waterwheel.jpg

This mill is just down the road from the old Wayside Inn pictured previously. It was built (i.e. paid for) by Henry Ford in one of his quests to preserve Americana. The mill still grinds flour and cornmeal on occasion and is a popular backdrop for wedding photos. It is located at coordinates 42.357190, -71.473935.
Such a beautiful photo Jon, I can almost hear the water.

An 1889 stone bridge not far from the Clara Barton homestead.

2014_bartletts_bridge.jpg
Beautiful photo, thanks Jon. Wasn't aware of who Clara Barton was until I looked her up. What an amazing and caring soul.

Clarissa Harlowe Barton was a pioneering American nurse who founded the American Red Cross. She was a hospital nurse in the American Civil War, a teacher, and a patent clerk. Barton is noteworthy for doing humanitarian work and civil rights advocacy at a time before women had the right to vote. She was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame in 1973.

Childhood Memories.

Myself with "Tom the Rabbit Inspector" who lived at our rural property in central western NSW Australia. A great friend and companion when I was little. Treasured memories.

YkHnix1.jpg
Dad has lots of skinned rabbits like those on your wall RnR, I think there was a bounty on skins back then, absolutely plague proportions. I'd go with him every night and he'd set the traps - he'd settle it into the dirt, cover the flat metal bit with newspaper and gently sprinkle dirt on top and then hammer the spike on a chain into the ground to hold it firmly. Next day he'd pick up the rabbit, twist its neck so quickly and efficiently, it never knew what happened. Growing up on a farm soon puts things into perspective concerning animals. He was a gentle man in a brutal world, he knocked a man out on the neighbouring property one day when he saw him beating his horse almost to death. He was an old man when I was born, he was one of the excited young men who went away to WW1 for a great adventure and got shot soon after arriving, he was carted off to an English hospital to recover and then sent back to the front. When WWII rolled around he rejoined but stayed at home and taught young soldiers how to stay alive. When he came back home once during this time on leave, 9 months later I was born in 1944.
Funny thing, he never seemed to exhibit any stress/anger or PTS symptoms from his first world war experience, I'm sure he had them but never said a word about it.

I always cut around the stem of Bell Peppers and pull it out before chopping and
cooking because it gets rid of a lot of seeds quickly and easily. But this time it reminded
me of a swan or flamingo or a bird of some kind.

It has an extra pepper beginning to grow I guess. I used an older iPhone so quality is
not exactly steller. I've never seen that before and never since.

DSC_0035 2.jpgDSC_0049 3.jpg

Visiting Kennedy Island in the Solomon Islands a while back.

During WWII on 2 August 1943 the Motor Torpedo Boat PT-109 was rammed by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri and sank. The boat's commander Lt. John F. Kennedy, future U.S. President who saved all but two of his crew.

Around 2am on 2 August 1943, a moonless night, Kennedy’s boat was idling on one engine to avoid detection of her wake by Japanese aircraft when the crew realised they were in the path of the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. The PT-109 crew had less than ten seconds to get the engines up to speed, and were run down by the destroyer between Kolombangara and Ghizo Island.

uQLp6YH.jpg

The eleven survivors clung to PT-109’s bow section as it drifted slowly south. Kennedy, who had been on the Harvard University swim team, used a life jacket strap clenched between his teeth to tow his badly burned senior enlisted machinist mate, MM1 Patrick McMahon to the nearest island. It took four hours for the crew to reach their destination 5.6 kilometres away without interference by sharks or crocodiles. The island was only 91 metres in diameter, with no food or water. The crew had to hide from passing Japanese barges.

Kennedy swam to Naru and Olasana islands, a round trip of about 4 kilometres in search of help and food. He then led his men to Olasana Island, which had coconut trees and drinkable water. Kennedy and his men survived for six days on coconuts before they were found by native scouts. The island is currently also known as Kennedy Island.

I always cut around the stem of Bell Peppers and pull it out before chopping and
cooking because it gets rid of a lot of seeds quickly and easily. But this time it reminded
me of a swan or flamingo or a bird of some kind.

It has an extra pepper beginning to grow I guess. I used an older iPhone so quality is
not exactly steller. I've never seen that before and never since.

View attachment 152332View attachment 152333
So unusual and thanks for posting. I love bell peppers, we call them capsicums down here in Australia.

Back