Post one favorite photo you took (max 1 per day) with some details.

The Village Green: A favorite stopping point.

oct10_2020_rowe_gazebo.jpg

This small town village green is a great stopping/stretching point when I am riding out in the western part of the state. With lunch in hand that was packed in the pannier, this is about as nice a place to stop and eat as can be found. In all the times I've stopped here (usually on weekends), I've only seen one other person and he was watching the swallows nest on a nearby building. As you know, swallows keep the flying insects down, making for a more pleasant stop.
Great photo, looks beautiful Jon. I'm not surprised you choose to stop there.

Riding In A Winter Wonderland:

winter_icyroads.jpg

Between the black ice, sheet ice and snow ice, the road was a little sketchy. With gravity in full play and adhesion not, it was a good idea to go around curves slowly and straight up. Having seen me get a little sideways on the last curve, SIL was being very cautious. It was a great, if somewhat frosty, ride nevertheless.

Not The Fog In The Bog:

oct3_2020_princeton_bog.jpg

I shot this photo last year while riding down a favorite road. At the time, I thought it would make an interesting photo, but am still unsure about that. There was just a spot of sunlight out on the wetlands that, when converted from RAW, looked like fog as the camera tried to adjust for the various light levels and over exposed the sunlit area. Some would say this shot called for HDR manipulation but I don't do that.

Stopping to take photos like this provides a nice break in the intense concentration you need to safely ride a motorcycle at speed on roads that are less than stellar. Your sensory clock can slow down to match the serenity of your surroundings.

Not The Fog In The Bog:

oct3_2020_princeton_bog.jpg

I shot this photo last year while riding down a favorite road. At the time, I thought it would make an interesting photo, but am still unsure about that. There was just a spot of sunlight out on the wetlands that, when converted from RAW, looked like fog as the camera tried to adjust for the various light levels and over exposed the sunlit area. Some would say this shot called for HDR manipulation but I don't do that.

Stopping to take photos like this provides a nice break in the intense concentration you need to safely ride a motorcycle at speed on roads that are less than stellar. Your sensory clock can slow down to match the serenity of your surroundings.
It IS interesting, but for me it's the contrast between the vibrant vegetation in the foreground and the dead trees in the background.

Island In A Sea Of Ice On A Warm Afternoon:

reservoir_sunsets.jpg

I took this photo two days ago, thinking it might make an interesting picture. It was one of those rare, warm (i.e., 70°) afternoons that come once or twice in March. I pulled the motorcycle off the road, took the camera out of the tank bag and zoomed out over the ice to capture the shot. Because of the over-exposure of the sky, I had to mess with the sky a bit with one of the AI apps.

Redhead In The Clouds: Below is a favorite photo of my trusty steed (a.k.a. the redhead), taken at a mountain lookout.

aug6_2014_wachusett_gs.jpg

This is a 2014 BMW Gelände Straße (meaning land/street for on/off road). The tank bag up front is where I store my camera, papers and anything else I might need to grab without getting off. The backpack that's top rear contains an electric jacket liner, balaclava, hydration pack with drinking tube (hanging down) for drinking water while riding, gloves and other misc. stuff. The side case panniers carry the normal road stuff (e.g., tire repair tools/kit, rain gear, camera bag, hydrogen peroxide for cleaning bugs off anything, etc.) There's also an integrated, Garmin-built GPS navigation unit that also displays all the bikes functions (e.g., gas, oil, oil, pressure, engine and air temperature, tire pressure, DTE, etc.).

The nice thing about this motorcycle is that it has a unique front suspension (called a telelever) that separates the two functions of wheel alignment and wheel damping/suspension. This gives you improved control on terrain that's not smooth. Both front and rear suspension are electronically adjustable for a hard, medium or soft ride. The latter setting is especially helpful for old bones over a rough road. Anti-lock breaks and cruise control are standard. The bike also has what's called "throttle by wire" where throttle setting and response is electronically controlled. The amount of throttle response can be varied according to road conditions. This motorcycle is a compromise between the big road sofas that cruise smooth roads from bar to bar and the small dirt bikes that try to emulate a mountain goat.

Last edited:

Back