Potatoes.

I love potatoes and this year it looks like I am going to have a bumper crop from my garden. Some of them grew just from peelings I buried under the rotted leaves. I do think they taste so much better right from the garden. They are so delicate when you wash them the skins want to come right off and when dried a bit they last a very long time in my basement. Goes to show you how old they must be when in a week they start to sprout from the store bought.

I adore potatoes, since I'm mildly allergic to almost all other starches (asthma; uncomfortable but not debilitating, thankfully). However, my DH is diabetic, and the only way he likes them is calorically "loaded" - so not good for him at all. As a result, we have to keep it to a minimum.

Usually we only order them in restaurants. That way one gets a defined serving size and can't overeat. There's a steakhouse in Napa CA that makes the most amazing au gratin potatoes - they press it with a weight the way it's supposed to be done, but almost never is. Very buttery and rich, so getting a single square per serving satisfies.

The variety of potatoes also matters. Fingerlings are a big deal out here, but definitely some varieties taste MUCH better than others. There's a couple of French restaurants we like - one in Monterey CA and one in Sonoma CA - which use fingerlings that taste amazing. Rich, deep, potato flavor - sooooo good!

I'm waiting for my sweet potato in the oven & I've got the Irish butter ready. 1/2 of it with salad is dinner. It's not the red/orange yam - it's the yellowish one.

Maybe us potato lovers...we've all got a "touch of the Irish" in us...lol!
Hub says he'd like a steak & baked potato for dinner tonight.
Potatoes have about the highest level of potassium in them. Way more than bananas. Don't salt 'em too much and you have the perfect blood pressure "helper" food.

Lib, 🙂 The traditional Hellman's with onion and celery. I did squeeze a squirt of mustard in it tho', not my usual but it was good.
Do you use pickle juice? My mom loved pickle juice and I confess to using it a lot for deviled eggs and potato salad. And celery seed, and a squirt of Louisiana Hot Sauce sometimes, and cider vinegar and sugar and on and on...lol.

Give me a hint Camper...like what was in it (besides the obvious spuds)?
Recipe Sorry about the metric I converted.
1 kg. Hash Brown Potatoes (Frozen). 1 kg. =2 lb 3 oz
1/2 cup diced Onion (sauteed in butter)
200 gr. Shredded Swiss Cheese200 gr.=7 ozs.
1 can Mushroom Soup
1 cup diced ham (to taste)
2-3 tablespoons sour cream
1 cups corn flakes Crushed (Melt 1/4 cup butter and add corn flakes
Mix Well and place on top of Casserole. Bake at 350 F (1Hour)
Poke in the center. If Cheese is melted it should be done
This can be made ahead and frozen before cooking- adjust cooking time to compensate for the frozen ingredients.
Not sure of the can size for the Mushroom soup. Try the small size.

Recipe Sorry about the metric I converted.
1 kg. Hash Brown Potatoes (Frozen). 1 kg. =2 lb 3 oz
1/2 cup diced Onion (sauteed in butter)
200 gr. Shredded Swiss Cheese200 gr.=7 ozs.
1 can Mushroom Soup
1 cup diced ham (to taste)
2-3 tablespoons sour cream
1 cups corn flakes Crushed (Melt 1/4 cup butter and add corn flakes
Mix Well and place on top of Casserole. Bake at 350 F (1Hour)
Poke in the center. If Cheese is melted it should be done
This can be made ahead and frozen before cooking- adjust cooking time to compensate for the frozen ingredients.
Not sure of the can size for the Mushroom soup. Try the small size.
Thanks a lot! Going to try that. Even though we did a lot of food formulation business wise speaking...always looking for a different recipe that uses commonly consumed ingredients.

Back