Prince Philip gives up license

Sunny

SF VIP
So, I see that Prince Philip finally gave up driving because of that accident last month. Orders from the Queen, perhaps?

A word from the local constabulary more likely.

of course, sense would ultimately have to prevail. Next time he could cause a fatality!! Much as he's a stubborn old coot, probably more than anyone, he has always been the backbone of the royal family, and in an interview relatively recently, he said he only wanted to be remembered for being the support and stay of HM and for someone who did only good in his life, so with that in mind I'm sure after some thought he would have realised the last thing he'd want to do is to go down in history as someone who caused someone else's death!!

A word from the local constabulary more likely.

Not a police matter any more.

Under our system the police, if they think there is a case, pass the details to the Crown Prosecution Service, and they take the decision whether there should be a prosecution. The police passed the papers on some time ago (so they obviously felt it needed more than a caution).

However since our lawyers depend on the Queen to be able to practise in the higher courts, becoming Queen's Counsel, and then depend on her for appointment to the Bench, the outcome is not difficult to predict!

I prefer to think that he was just trying to do the right thing.

“Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you’ll be criticized anyway. You’ll be damned if you do and damned if you don’t.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

If his doc doesn't think he can handle safe driving, so be it. But many, many people of all ages have accidents because of being blinded by the sun. Foolish to proceed if one cannot see, but young people also make this mistake.

Who really believes if he was "Crazy Old Phil", the 97 year old geezer, who lives down the road; would the police let him on the roads?

I repeat, nothing to do with the police, they don't issue licences.

A drunk driver can be ten times over the limit, but once he's sober he can get back behind the wheel. Only the courts or the central licensing authority, a Government body, can withdraw a licence.

I am typing this at max zoom 6 inched from a 24 inch screen, and normally sit one metre from a 55 inch TV, but I still have my licence.

If his doc doesn't think he can handle safe driving, so be it. But many, many people of all ages have accidents because of being blinded by the sun. Foolish to proceed if one cannot see, but young people also make this mistake.

Agreed!!..and he was foolish to proceed, lapse of concentration, blindness by the sun..who really knows what actually did happen.. however we mustn't forget that PP didn't drive into anyone, it was was the other driver who drove into him. The speed limit along that stretch of road is 50MPH.. so to smash into a heavy Range rover with such force to turn it over on it's side on the opposite side of the road , , with a little KIA, and with a baby on board too , I full believe she was driving too fast and exceeding the speed limit... so I do think although PP was wrong to make the turn onto the road when he couldn't clearly see enough of a gap, I do believe it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other, but he as an Old man of 97 is getting the whole blame from the media for this..

Agreed!!..and he was foolish to proceed, lapse of concentration, blindness by the sun..who really knows what actually did happen.. however we mustn't forget that PP didn't drive into anyone, it was was the other driver who drove into him. The speed limit along that stretch of road is 50MPH.. so to smash into a heavy Range rover with such force to turn it over on it's side on the opposite side of the road , , with a little KIA, and with a baby on board too , I full believe she was driving too fast and exceeding the speed limit... so I do think although PP was wrong to make the turn onto the road when he couldn't clearly see enough of a gap, I do believe it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other, but he as an Old man of 97 is getting the whole blame from the media for this..

Good point. When an old person makes a mistake, it isn't necessarily just because he is old, any more than when a young driver makes a mistake is is necessarily because he is a young driver.

Back