Reflections of My Life

When we were short on meat.
I would cook either the beef heart or venison heart for us.
Had to clean off the tough parts, wash well.
I would stuff them it with bread stuffing.

Now organ meats are frowned up on.

I remember my mother making pickled beef tongue fro my grandfather.

I kept picturing that cow's tongue being in her nose!

I have been working on my new website. I like having an email address that does not come from Google. I am going to try to get away from the big tech as much as I can. The last few days I have been researching alternatives to the ones I use. It is very hard to close accounts on some of them since they have dead "close" buttons. It can't be my computer. I do it over and over and that is how it works. Then some of them say they will reply back to you but never do. I did close my Amazon associates account. I am not selling for them anymore, it was just a few bucks a month and I won't miss it.

I have used the stimulus checks I got for paying down debt. IF we actually get another one, I decided to replace my computer. If we don't get one (and I am doing this right now because I think we will not get one) I am starting a savings fund for the new computer. I know which one I will buy already. I want to replace this one before it dies. That way I can have one for working off line with photos and documents mainly.

Today is my doctor's appointment. I dread it. I welcome it.

Thank you, @Sliverfox and your name took me by surprise. All this time I have been calling you "Silverfox" and when I just put it in here I see I was wrong. Oops...

Well, Sonny canceled our appointments due to the weather. Supposed to get 7 inches of snow I think. He lives way out in the country and best for him to stay put. He rescheduled us for next week. I am a bit relieved that I don't have to go out in that snow. I absolutely hate being in a vehicle anymore when there is a lot of snow.

Men are so funny........they complain about snow clean up. Then they buy snowblowers and snowplows and get excited about using them. I almost don't believe them complaining about it unless they are shoveling. My husband used to complain constantly, but he did shovel. Then he got a snow wolf and not a complaint again. It was quiet and no fumes. If I had to do snow clean up myself, I'd probably get one off those too.

I am thankful I do not own a car. We got notices yesterday (must be they knew the snow was coming today) instructing the car owners to move their cars by 10:30 AM if there is at least 2" of snow so the plow can do his job. And if your car gets plowed in because you did not move it then you have to dig it out yourself. Everyone here is elderly and or disabled. So they are basically on their own. Better to not have to worry about it.

When we were short on meat.
I would cook either the beef heart or venison heart for us.
Had to clean off the tough parts, wash well.
I would stuff them it with bread stuffing.

Now organ meats are frowned up on.

I remember my mother making pickled beef tongue fro my grandfather.

I kept picturing that cow's tongue being in her nose!
I like chicken hearts

I like chicken or beef liver. Heart and gizzards are not something I eat. When I was a child my mother would give the chicken liver and my brother would get the heart and gizzard.
I like fried chicken liver with gravy. I remember all the types of food I used to be able to eat. I should have eaten more while I could, hindsight, 😂. I tried venison once, didn’t care for it. I like Buffalo though, and wild pig.

Our parents ate beef liver & fried onions.

After we got married hubby insisted I make us a beef liver meal like our parents did.

I wasn't happy but,,made it up.

I think we each ate a few bits ,,looked at each other.
Was the end of any type of liver meal.
Husband made it a couple times and he ate it. But we have not had it for,hmm, 48 years. 😂

I am so lucky to have hooked up with Sonny. He likes onions and no complaints about anything I make. He makes really good liver and onions. I found a recipe for it with gravy in the Instant Pot and want to try it soon.

I used to go to an Italian restaurant that made two dishes with chicken livers. One was in an Alfredo sauce and the other a Marsala sauce. They were so good. I want to try to copy what I remember about them and make them myself.

Life is strange sometimes, well maybe all the time. I spent over 25 years living the "modern homesteading" life. My community of homesteaders were always planning for TEOTWAWKI. It is here. Now I don't have the means for preparation as I did at my house. So this will be a challenge for me. So I am hoping to get to work a little bit at least on cleaning out the storage area these next few months. Today, I will go downstairs and see what I need to get rid of. I have a lot of Christmas decorations and need to part with those. I am going to make my storage area store things I use but don't have room for upstairs. I pay for my space so have to make the best use of it.

The manager took away our opportunity to share our unwanted items with each other. Whatever we do, they discourage us from interacting with each other. Yet that was one of the best things about this apartment building. We were all friends and talked to each other often. Now the new people don't really know the others. No activity going on. Some people move in and don't really make friends with the others.

I am so lucky to have hooked up with Sonny. He likes onions and no complaints about anything I make. He makes really good liver and onions. I found a recipe for it with gravy in the Instant Pot and want to try it soon.

I used to go to an Italian restaurant that made two dishes with chicken livers. One was in an Alfredo sauce and the other a Marsala sauce. They were so good. I want to try to copy what I remember about them and make them myself.
This is a nice recipe for chicken livers.

1611754737171.jpeg
http://www.great-chicago-italian-recipes.com/spaghetti_alla_caruso.html

I have to admit that I cut corners by using ordinary Baby Bella or white button mushrooms when I find them on sale and a bottle of spaghetti sauce.

I'm glad you're not that anymore and are here with us instead ♥️
That is why I had to take down my blogs. They were about self-sufficiency and off-the-grid living. I still have one up but have changed the focus to a single over 60 woman living in a city. I lost some of my followers and friends. Some judged me harshly due to leaving my husband and hooking up with my boyfriend, Sonny. He helped me escape........

I am glad to be here too.

I woke up around four this morning to the snow removal guy scraping the ramp again. We had a bit of it during the night. This morning I do not feel very energetic for some reason. I had a project to work on today, but waiting till I am really awake to do it so I don't mess it up.

Tomorrow Sonny is picking me up and taking me to his house. He wants to show me his new bed. It is one of those hospital types that has a remote control and you can put the head or feet up, gives you a massage and stops you from snoring. He had a sleigh bed with a beautiful wood frame and he was able to keep the frame and put the bed in it.

He has been making homemade pastrami this week so tomorrow he is making Reuben sandwiches for our dinner. Usually pastrami is made by smoking but this is made in the Instant Pot. After the seasoning process of a couple days, it goes in the oven to heat thoroughly. He used a corned beef to make it. Next time will try to get a plain beef brisket. We had been talking about Reuben sandwiches for awhile now. So I am looking forward to it and to seeing his critters. I haven't been there since summer.

Will be interested in how Sonny's pastrami turns out.

I found an online recipe for making custard in the instant pot.
Tried it & its good,, almost as good as one that takes more time.

My problem was removing the round casserole dish.
Have no oven mitts.

Took long strip of foil & folded it several time put under casserole & up sides.
Was long enough for me to grip & remove hot casserole.

Have no oven mitts.

Took long strip of foil & folded it several time put under casserole & up sides.
It turned out very good! Very tender! I posted the picture of it on fakebook and one of his friends who is single made it in his oven and said it came out really good too. Just like my picture. I think he has started a new trend among his friends! Haha.

pastrami.JPG

Have no oven mitts.

Sonny has made rice pudding in his IP. Came out perfect!

I have these little silicone mitts made for the Instant Pot that I got on Amazon.

It is snowing this morning. We have had a bit of snow for the last week or so. I don't really mind so much as long as I don't have to go anywhere. I had to cancel my 2nd doctor's appointment due to the roads. I told them I would reschedule it in the spring. I guess I should find a doctor here where I live. It is just that the ones I go to are very good and I hate to switch. I am not comfortable with going for all the blood work and x-rays because that is done at the hospitals and that is where you are most apt to catch the COVID virus. Two people I know of, through friends of mine, have lost someone due to going to a hospital for something unrelated to COVID and ended up with it. One died and one is dying.

As much as I loved having my gel nails, I have been removing them this week. Just two left to go. Not easy but I have a method. The shop I go to had an electrical fire a month or so ago and has been closed. So instead of going to someone else, I thought I'd give it a break. Saves me money and one less appointment to worry about. After they recover from the process, I will try to keep them up but not polishing. Just a protected type of clear coat on. I like Hard An Nails, so I bought some of that. I haven't been going anywhere anyway so I guess it is just a vanity or luxury thing anyway.

Back