Reflections of My Life

I have that entire series on DVD. Loved that show!

Did you enjoy your trip out with Jazzy yesterday?
I enjoyed my first trip outside on Jazzy since Dec. 20th. So nice to be out in the fresh air. I had the whole park to myself but could not get through it due to snow. It will be gone soon. I hope we don't get more, but I have photos of April 30, 2018, when we had a heavy snow storm after days of nice spring weather. Today I hope to get out again on Jazzy.

Yesterday, Sonny and I went to the Salvation Army in Binghamton, which is about 40 miles away. It was not so great. I got a few odds and ends but the store mostly had clothing and not anything I needed. We had lunch then drove back to Norwich and stopped at Annie's Thrift store which is one we go to a lot. Hadn't been there since the Covid thing. I got a few things there including a whole brand new set of sheets for my bed for only ten bucks. Then stopped at Walmart to get some greens and Natural Salad (it is dried) for Rabbit. It was a nice day and I enjoyed getting out and going somewhere.

Today I need to do laundry. Small loads work best for me so now I am trying not to put it off.

I managed to get half of my list done today. Laundry and cleaning the NuWave oven were most important. Since it was snowy and wet outside, I was satisfied to be inside today. I look forward to the nice weather but I know even April can be cold winter weather. I think though that the snow has melted in the park and I will be able to ride "Jazzy" there.

It is a good thing I took off my gel nails because I saw my nail salon's building was taken down. Just an empty spot where it was and the sign there. It was a double wide so I am guessing he will be putting in another one in place of it. Probably got insurance money to pay for it. He had a really successful business so I am sure he will be back. I will get my nails back on again but not for awhile. Just taking a break.

I hope everyone had a nice week-end.

Today has been one of those days when I didn't feel like doing much of anything. For supper I am making just a chicken pot pie. Not much fuss with that. I am still trying to get the knack of baking a pot pie in the toaster oven without burning it. The top gets brown but the inside does not get done. I have turned it upside down before to finish it off but I would really like to just bake normally. I can't put foil over the top because of it being in a toaster oven. I am afraid it would catch fire. I guess I will have to go research that.

I went out to the dumpster and it makes me sad to think someone has been sleeping in there at night. The guy downstairs got up early one morning to tell the garbage man to check it before dumping it. I might have a very small apartment but it is pleasant, warm and safe.

So I finished watching all of the "Mad About You" earlier today. Now have to figure out what I feel like watching. I like to find a series and just watch it until I have seen them all.

Had an appointment this morning with the manager of the building to do my re-certification of my apartment for this year. Every year the same old stuff because they don't want the paper that Social Security sends you because it is dated in January They always make you get a new one and it is always the same. I could see it if I got raises through out the year, but I don't.

Yesterday I had my doctor's appointment with my new doctor, but he is only there for three months than he is graduating and going back to Canada. I liked him. I guess I can't get attached to a doctor because they are all residents and not staying here. The thing about that is that you have to explain everything all over again to a new person. Then he will be gone and have to do it again. It is all in the chart but sometimes I forget to mention something and he didn't know about it so didn't ask. I have always liked having one person but I will learn to adjust to this way of life. Everything was good but having blood work done on Friday and have to go back on the 9th. He gave me some things to work on but I already knew that stuff. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, have to have a heart altrasound. That is because my feet swell up with fluid so he is going to check to see if there are any blockages. Not going to think about that for now.

Well right now I am on my way outside to the dumpster. It looks a bit brighter out than it was. Have good day!

Had an appointment this morning with the manager of the building to do my re-certification of my apartment for this year. Every year the same old stuff because they don't want the paper that Social Security sends you because it is dated in January They always make you get a new one and it is always the same. I could see it if I got raises through out the year, but I don't.

Yesterday I had my doctor's appointment with my new doctor, but he is only there for three months than he is graduating and going back to Canada. I liked him. I guess I can't get attached to a doctor because they are all residents and not staying here. The thing about that is that you have to explain everything all over again to a new person. Then he will be gone and have to do it again. It is all in the chart but sometimes I forget to mention something and he didn't know about it so didn't ask. I have always liked having one person but I will learn to adjust to this way of life. Everything was good but having blood work done on Friday and have to go back on the 9th. He gave me some things to work on but I already knew that stuff. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, have to have a heart altrasound. That is because my feet swell up with fluid so he is going to check to see if there are any blockages. Not going to think about that for now.

Well right now I am on my way outside to the dumpster. It looks a bit brighter out than it was. Have good day!
It could just me mild heart failure which is what I have, no big deal.

Yesterday I had my re-certification meeting with my manager. I figure it will take a week or so before I get the new lease and find out what my rent increase will be. Probably at least ten bucks. I can't complain though as most people pay a lot more to live in an apartment like this. It may be small, but it is really nice. I never thought I'd be living somewhere like this when I was dreaming about leaving my house. Now I look at my photos of my previous life there at Peaceful Forest and wonder how I lasted as long as I did there. I have been working on my old photos, moving them from one drive to a new one. So I am seeing all these photos about every day right now. Sometimes I am sad, but most of the time I am not.

Life here is pretty good. At least for me. I have friends, which I did not have before. I had two friends and one moved away and the other one was too busy with her job to have time for a friend. Now I have a number of friends that live right in my building. Some days I can do laundry, go outside and get my mail and never see a soul. When I am in the hallways I never hear a sound from the apartments, well except for my neighbor across the hall...........she leaves her door open and sometimes her television is on.

I have some friends on fakebook that I will be seeing when life gets back to normal. I have really connected with my cousins there and hope to see them more often soon. One friend I used to work with some years back and she did come here to see me and we went to lunch. I am looking forward to seeing her again too. I found two cousins, distance ones on FB too and am looking forward to meeting them in person. Well, one of them died and I am going to be meeting his wife instead. He was actually my great aunt's son.

Today I am going to find a dentist to get my dental work underway. I need new dentures before I go meet anyone in person. One of the reasons that I wear my mask all the time! lol

Heart failure sounds like a big deal to me. I hope its not that.
It’s not depending on the stage of heart failure and your age I suppose. I’m in stage 1 so no big deal. I am in stage 3 kidney failure with only one kidney as the other one failed rather dramatically and was removed. When I reach stage four, it will be a big deal. But since I can’t do anything about either condition, why worry?

tongue_crp.JPG

My little bunny boy this morning! I got this photo by accident. Never in a million years could I have planned a shot like this. But he was eating and I took some pictures. It wasn't until I edited it that I saw his tongue and teeth showing. I might have to get this printed out and frame it.

conifer.jpg

Do you notice how when you get to a certain age, that instead of people valuing the wisdom you have from having lived SO much longer than they have, they think you need instructions from them for just about everything. An example is computers. I have been using them since about 1992 and they start explaining the simplest things to me. Or like one person started to tell about coffee brands and I said I like buying coffee beans not ground coffee and she starts telling me I need to use a coffee bean grinder..........I stop her right there and explain to her that I have a coffee grinder and have had it for a number of years. Geez......

What really gets to me is that if I mention something I do, maybe health wise, like my diet or other thing is they start telling you how that diet is not good for you.........while they remain out of shape themselves and on loads of prescription meds and I am doing much better and not on any prescriptions at all and never have been.

I suppose that is why I am spending a lot less time on fakebook these days. One benefit of that is that I am getting a lot of stuff done that I had put off.

I was happy to see you have more friends now, Kat. They're more important than we realize. You're in such a good place with neighbors all around. It's great to be able to chat with people.

Hope your rent doesn't go up too high!
Probably about $10. or so. I can live with that. Especially since I love my apartment.

Last night two of my friends, the guy across the hall and my friend downstairs stopped over and we sat in here and talked. It was the first time for me having two people here with me. It is nice to have friends.

It takes me awhile to make a phone call. I have just never liked being on the telephone. And for me, making appointments is something I hate even more. But I have been doing that in the last month. Today I managed to find a dentist in my area........only 3 minutes away, in fact! April is going to be a very busy month for me. And the best part is that the dentist takes my insurance (through Medicaid).

Friday, Sonny is taking me for blood work and then we are going to lunch at the Chinese restaurant. Something to look forward to. Then on Saturday, my friend who lives downstairs, and I are going to Bainbridge (NY) to Pine Ridge, which is a Mennonite bulk goods store. It is a fun place to shop. Then to Frog Pond which is on the way to the next town, Afton (NY). Frog Pond is a produce market and it just opened for the season. Love shopping there too.

Last edited:
0325211123.jpg
Today I rode "Jazzy" to Tops. What a beautiful day it was! Everybody was out and about. People are so friendly here, everyone saying hello when they pass me on the sidewalk. Tops is never real busy like Walmart, but their prices are not like Walmart's either. It didn't matter, I just needed some red leaf lettuce, parsley and bananas for my little bunny boy.

Tomorrow I have to sign my new lease. My rent increase is only three dollars! I think I can live with that. So that means Sonny can't take me for my blood work till after that appointment with my manager at 10:00..........which means I can't have coffee till after I get my blood work. Oh boy, I am not pleasant to be around until I have my coffee.......and no, I can't drink it black. (poor Sonny)

I got to know a little bit about our new manager here when I went in to sign my lease. Now I understand her better. She is pretty nice.

The thing I see about people (all people in general) is that when they are older or disabled, or both, we seem to focus in on our own concerns (health, financial, family, etc.). So when we are told we have to do things differently, we react and think only how it affects us. Not everyone in general.Then the message we get from each other is how wrong it is and how we are being treated badly. Not always the case though.

Rabbit probably thinks I am unfair to him by not feeding him bananas and blackberries all day. He glares at me at times! He stands up on his hind feet and scopes out the higher surfaces. But I know, I cannot give him too much fruit or it can affect his teeth. He loves kale and I used to buy him big bunches of it. Now I do not give him any at all. I tried to give him a couple small leaves of it the other day and then I could tell by his poop that I better not give him any at all.

View attachment 156347

My little bunny boy this morning! I got this photo by accident. Never in a million years could I have planned a shot like this. But he was eating and I took some pictures. It wasn't until I edited it that I saw his tongue and teeth showing. I might have to get this printed out and frame it.
I really enjoy reading your journal. You have a great positive attitude. This is an adorable picture definitely worthy of framing.

Today is a beautiful sunshiny day. I really should take a ride to the park or to Tops but I feel sleepy. Sometimes getting outside will wake me up but it is windy out there too. So going to pass on that idea. My friend who lives down the hall was here for a nice visit. She loves Rabbit so I gave her some blackberries to hand feed him. She loved doing that. He is so gentle taking treats.

Next Wednesday is my dental appointment and I am psyching myself up for it. I hate going to dentists and have my whole life, but I always went every 6 months no matter what. Took good care of my teeth. That was fine while I could afford it. But when my life hit the bottom, I had no way to do that. Now I need to do this or I will never go out in public again. Right now, it is okay with a mask but then I won't eat with anyone but Sonny.

Now I am going back to working on the computer for a few hours. Maybe I will make it outside later.

I have been doing a lot of computer work the last couple of weeks. I need to work on cleaning out the storage area. I have boxes heaped together and when I try to find stuff I have no idea where it is. I was selling my vintage Christmas decorations on eBay back in 2015 and 2016 but still have boxes left. I have nobody to give stuff to so probably going to be donating them or maybe offering them for free on the fakebook marketplace. When people want to buy something they are a pain so not going to do that. I hate selling stuff. Yet, I have a lot of stuff I could sell or should at least get rid of.

Today, again, I will attempt to do my laundry. It is either laundry or vacuum. I can get away with putting off the vacuuming but not laundry. Maybe I will feel better once I get moving and will be able to do both.

Rabbit has become obsessed with the blackberries. Today I will make sure he is limited to one small piece of banana (which he just finished eating) and 6 blackberries. These berries are pretty big, so he is getting a good amount. Fruit is not good for his teeth. Must be that is why he loves it so much. We always love what we cannot have.

Today is a busy day for me. Sonny is driving me to Binghamton (about 40 miles away) for a test I need done at one of the hospitals there. Of course, it had to snow during the night, but nothing like what everyone said. I hope it holds off till we are back home.

Since I have put off some chores, like laundry and vacuuming.............that means I will be doing those on the week-end. Tomorrow is another busy day due to having to take care of my son's rent and mine buying money orders.

The guy across the hall has started stopping by every now and then to say hi or give me the Pennysaver. I wouldn't mind so much except that he does not just knock on my door like a normal person...........he pounds the crap out of it! Scares my bunny! I am going to have to tell him about it. I think it is because he is hard of hearing and so is the lady across the hall next to him. He visits here daily, and pounds on her door and yells her name so she will hear him. But what if she is sleeping or in the shower??? Maybe I will make a sign that says Knock Gently or Quietly. My friend downstairs has a sign that says Do Not Knock - Ring Doorbell. Her other sign says Do Not Disturb.....Napping. Now I see why.

Yesterday was stressful for me. I had to get an ultrasound of my heart.........yeah, I still have it, I thought Sonny took it. Just thinking about going there was more stressful than the actual test. Last night the results were in and said it was all normal. So one less thing to worry about.

Today Sonny will be back to take me to do some errands. I did not want to go to Walmart but I need to get more greens for Rabbit so guess I will. Not going to do major shopping though. I hate going there on check day. Since I am my son's payee representative for his money (he is disabled, mentally slow, but looks normal) I always get his bills paid as soon as his check is here. Then I either give him some cash every few days or he buys stuff online, usually from Amazon, Musician's Friend or eBay.

Going through a pile of papers that somehow accumulated on my printer. I tend to print out recipes I find to try and then if I like them I put them in a file. I have a bunch of them there right now. Then writing out my budget sheets for April for Jeff and for me. That is how I keep track of our money. Works for me.

Back