Respect and personal responsibility during the covid-19 pandemic

If the virus wipes us all out, the economy isn't going to survive, either, and there won't be anyone left to worry about it.

And jobs are no good if people have to risk their lives and the lives of their families to go to work. Safe ways need to be found to go back to work. Who's gonna run all those meat packing plants and factories if all the people who know how to do the work are dead? We need to seriously think about and figure out how to make work safe in conditions like we are facing, or if this virus doesn't get us, the next one, or the one after that, will.

In places where restrictions were lifted, people rushed back to crowded bars, beaches, gatherings, etc., and guess what? Cases spiked. If we're going to get out of this alive, people need to understand that the virus is not going to magically go away and if we want to survive we all need to act like we've got some common sense.

Sermon over.

If unmasked person wIth COVID coughs/sneezes, droplets can travel and land on you... you don’t get infected just by breathing it in... if it gets in the Tissue around your eyes, for example, the virus can enter that way
I have not yet heard one single authority claim that. If it was true why aren't shields everywhere? Why isn't everyone wearing goggles?

I have not yet heard one single authority claim that. If it was true why aren't shields everywhere? Why isn't everyone wearing goggles?
I’ve heard this from the beginning. I put goggles on my son when I take him out, plus mask, plus gloves. The bubble he wore as a baby no longer fits him. 😂

T

That is why nurses/doctors dress out in full PPE when they go into a COVID patients room. That is the information we have from the CDC and our own infection control people. In “normal” interaction, the correct wearing of mask, frequent hand washing and 6 feet apart will reduce the risks of infection. That’s also why ppl are told not to touch their face.

Grahamg wrote:
What is destroying their jobs ends up causing their demise in equal numbers due to the ensuing poverty?

Aneeda wrote:
That would not happen in either of our countries.
A professor called Phillip Thomas, who works in the "risk management department" of Bristol university, advises our UK government on just such issues. He doesn't seem to share your certainty I'm afraid, but I hope you're right! :unsure:.

Yes, that's the typical theory, but how would you answer this question?
If you're wearing a mask, & your mask protects you, why would you be concerned about others who aren't wearing a mask?

The short answer, because it may harm others.
It is common knowledge that you can have the virus and show no symptoms, thus if you do not wear a mask and encounter those most vulnerable you could pass a potentially fatal virus to them.

I am concerned for the same reason that I am concerned about the young adults in Dallas drag racing on our streets, or the adults who "know" when they have had enough to drink and drive drunk, or the hundreds of other actions people do not thinking that at it may harm others..... again it may harm others

You may want to go through life only worrying about yourself
but I fear that is a very lonely life indeed.

My husband is considering buying us face shields. We've seen a few people wearing them. While they are large, they appear more comfortable, though one should also wear a mask with it.

He bought a couple of N-95 masks for us, on which the package states it is not for medical use (????)
Odd.

The short answer, because it may harm others.
It is common knowledge that you can have the virus and show no symptoms, thus if you do not wear a mask and encounter those most vulnerable you could pass a potentially fatal virus to them.

I am concerned for the same reason that I am concerned about the young adults in Dallas drag racing on our streets, or the adults who "know" when they have had enough to drink and drive drunk, or the hundreds of other actions people do not thinking that at it may harm others..... again it may harm others

You may want to go through life only worrying about yourself
but I fear that is a very lonely life indeed.
You haven't answered the question. It does not matter whether you are showing symptoms or whether you encounter those most vulnerable. Their mask would protect them.
Nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know."

My husband is considering buying us face shields. We've seen a few people wearing them. While they are large, they appear more comfortable, though one should also wear a mask with it.

He bought a couple of N-95 masks for us, on which the package states it is not for medical use (????)
Odd.
Many companies are making fake N-95 masks now. They know that fear sells.

I just read an article by an American who is living in Paris about
You haven't answered the question. It does not matter whether you are showing symptoms or whether you encounter those most vulnerable. Their mask would protect them.
Win, you aren't listening. Their mask wouldn't protect them. It would only protect you.

If there are a lot of other people reasoning with your kind of logic, it's no wonder we have surges and thousands of deaths all over the country. People think the other person's mask is protecting him, but from everything I've read about this, it doesn't work that way. The virus can get in through the mask, it just can't get out so easily.

And all that may only achieve limited success, whilst " for the rest of all eternity" we're stuck in this untenable situation, likely to destroy unthinkable numbers of jobs, unless a genuine magic bullet in the form of a 100% effective vaccine is found. I'll go along with whatever rules are imposed, but doubt the whole world can, when who knows what follows the destruction of our economies!
I'm willing to bet that if and when a vaccine is available most of the population will refuse it. If you think that the ballyhoo about masks is out of control, wait until doctors try to inoculate the general public. Those who are crying about their civil liberties being violated over the wearing of masks...whoa, baby!

I just read an article by an American who is living in Paris about

Win, you aren't listening. Their mask wouldn't protect them. It would only protect you.

If there are a lot of other people reasoning with your kind of logic, it's no wonder we have surges and thousands of deaths all over the country. People think the other person's mask is protecting him, but from everything I've read about this, it doesn't work that way. The virus can get in through the mask, it just can't get out so easily.
The typical masks that are available to us that allow a virus to get in also allow the virus to get out. You are trying to create "rules & regulations" for a virus that doesn't follow your rules.

Win, I'm not trying to create anything. I'm just quoting what the experts on this have been saying for months.

Probably some of the resistance to wearing masks is due to plain old selfishness. If the mask is to protect other people in your viciinty, why should you care? You don't know those people anyway. So what if you give it to them because you are unaware you are carrying the virus?

I'd hate to believe that there are people out there who are childish and selfish enough to reason that way, but apparently that's what is going on. For the masks to work, they really have to be used pretty universally. It's kind of an act of faith and respect between people.

The typical masks that are available to us that allow a virus to get in also allow the virus to get out. You are trying to create "rules & regulations" for a virus that doesn't follow your rules.
They'll catch maybe the larger droplets, but our UK government, and its advisors reluctance to recommend facemasks, or at least their wearing all the time, recognises the fact it may give the wearer a false sense of security.
BTW I think a 100% successful vaccine would get a fairly high take up rate, particularly for those wishing to use planes, where it could be made mandatory of course, and I'm told once your over 60% uptake, spread of the virus starts to become inhibited. :unsure: .

All that I have read says that your mask (the kinds available to us non-medical workers) doesn't protect you, but rather protects others from droplets coming from you. Therefore your mask protects me and mine protects you.

The masks, of course, do not provide prefect protection, but at least help.

I'm willing to bet that if and when a vaccine is available most of the population will refuse it. If you think that the ballyhoo about masks is out of control, wait until doctors try to inoculate the general public. Those who are crying about their civil liberties being violated over the wearing of masks...whoa, baby!

I disagree. I think that most people will gladly get that vaccine. I know I sure will.

There will probably be some blowback from the anti-vaccine people, but most of us will get the vaccine.

I disagree. I think that most people will gladly get that vaccine. I know I sure will.

There will probably be some blowback from the anti-vaccine people, but most of us will get the vaccine.
Most people used to get flu shots, too. There is no way to force anyone to get a vaccine they don't want. No one (in their right mind) would try to vaccinate someone against their will.

I won’t get it until it’s been around at least a year. A rushed vaccine or medical procedure is not for me.

Most people used to get flu shots, too. There is no way to force anyone to get a vaccine they don't want. No one (in their right mind) would try to vaccinate someone against their will.
Of course they can't force it on anyone, just like masks but just listen to all the whining about that. There's bound to be all kinds of negative blowback regarding inoculations. The point being that a lot of people won't get it therefore the slow down or eradication of the disease will take a very long time, possibly years.

Of course they can't force it on anyone, just like masks but just listen to all the whining about that. There's bound to be all kinds of negative blowback regarding inoculations. The point being that a lot of people won't get it therefore the slow down or eradication of the disease will take a very long time, possibly years.
It takes years to develop a safe vaccine. They are rushing this vaccine through, at my age I can’t afford the risk. While I don't mind dying, I don’t want to be silly about it. I think if anyone is willing to take the risk, they should. All my other, established vaccines, are up to date.

Its like when my doctor wanted me to have open heart surgery-a new surgery. We’ve done over 75 of these surgeries so far, hmm, well, I’m not going to be number 76. 😂 I like to wait and see. 😁

In my neck of the woods, practically everybody still gets a flu shot every year.

There is no reason to wear a mask out side, if you are not with 6 feet of another human. The masks are a way to restrict the transmission of the virus from one to another. If A is infected, a mask helps to stop the virus from infecting B. Also a mask helps B from getting the virus from A. And if you won't wear a mask, you're a jackass. Jeesh, this ain't rocket science.

Back