Retire Overseas on $1,200 / Month

I've been looking at these places as well. I am going to be on such a low-income (chances are) that I did start thinking about "other" places where it may be more affordable for me. I was so daring all my life (61 now) that I moved around the U.S. and by doing so, ended up with a very, sporadic, work-history. So even though I have tons of skills, I'm not getting hired now. So I am looking at taking my SS when I turn 62. I am still looking at online work as well though. That would allow me to live anywhere affordable, but online jobs are not easy either.

So here I am, checking out a senior forum to meet others that might be in similar situations, pick up some ideas, exchange ideas, whatever;)

Denise

Yeah, I think Denise is going to fit right in as well ...

imagesqtbnANd9GcQOgyVMhfrB6KnFyo4oE.jpg

I've been looking at these places as well. I am going to be on such a low-income (chances are) that I did start thinking about "other" places where it may be more affordable for me. I was so daring all my life (61 now) that I moved around the U.S. and by doing so, ended up with a very, sporadic, work-history. So even though I have tons of skills, I'm not getting hired now. So I am looking at taking my SS when I turn 62. I am still looking at online work as well though. That would allow me to live anywhere affordable, but online jobs are not easy either.

So here I am, checking out a senior forum to meet others that might be in similar situations, pick up some ideas, exchange ideas, whatever;)

Denise

hello Denise, I think of relocating but I know I'd never talk my wife into it. So I remain in the States. But if I ever became serious, I think the Languedoc-Roussillon region of France would be my first choice. A lot of people from the UK have 2nd houses there. Here's a link with some info:

http://languedoc.angloinfo.com/

Easier to live cheaply in a warm climate is a point to consider if we have a choice of relocation options.:bigwink:

The older we get the more time we spend on our backsides looking at walls, TV and laptop screens, and the less important the 'location views' and active lifestyles become.
If we have a comfy affordable haven to retreat to it doesn't really matter so much about the neighbourhood as long as it offers the bare necessities and isn't smack in in the middle of gang contested territory.

No point in living on a mountain when you can't climb hills, and watching everyone else enjoy the beach lifestyle that we can't any more gets tedious too.

It all comes down to our own personal needs of security, access to assistance if we need it, and as much comfort as we can afford to make aging a relatively enjoyable phase of life. The rest is just all frills.

We need to look long and hard at our needs and limitations and adjust our plans to that. Trying and failing to achieve more than we're capable of to fit a dream that is 20 years out of date is just damned depressing. Been there done that. Woke up to myself and am adjusting 'down market' accordingly. (Dammit)
smiley-laughing002.gif

It all comes down to our own personal needs of security, access to assistance if we need it, and as much comfort as we can afford to make aging a relatively enjoyable phase of life. The rest is just all frills.

If that's really the case then I better start scoping out some strip clubs for my retirement years ... I could pay for my long-term care a dollar at a time.

hello Denise, I think of relocating but I know I'd never talk my wife into it. So I remain in the States. But if I ever became serious, I think the Languedoc-Roussillon region of France would be my first choice. A lot of people from the UK have 2nd houses there. Here's a link with some info:

http://languedoc.angloinfo.com/

Oh boy I love the internet, my one way of real travel;) Thank you much jr!!

Easier to live cheaply in a warm climate is a point to consider if we have a choice of relocation options.:bigwink:

The older we get the more time we spend on our backsides looking at walls, TV and laptop screens, and the less important the 'location views' and active lifestyles become.
If we have a comfy affordable haven to retreat to it doesn't really matter so much about the neighbourhood as long as it offers the bare necessities and isn't smack in in the middle of gang contested territory.

No point in living on a mountain when you can't climb hills, and watching everyone else enjoy the beach lifestyle that we can't any more gets tedious too.

We need to look long and hard at our needs and limitations and adjust our plans to that. Trying and failing to achieve more than we're capable of to fit a dream that is 20 years out of date is just damned depressing. Been there done that. Woke up to myself and am adjusting 'down market' accordingly. (Dammit)
smiley-laughing002.gif

You are so right:) I want life as simple as possible, not a lot of frills, and yes, I would grow bored of just walking a beach, and as much as I love to swim, there are those sharks. Well, and not to forget about the "land-sharks" LOL!! I'm lookin towards a small town, lots of trees, some water to play in. Where everybody knows your name, neighbors check on neighbors etc. I know of some places like that:) I don't see myself ever being able or willing to leave the U.S. especially the NW, but I will keep an open mind;)

Kombucha, that was a lovely story - until you moved over here. My condolences.

I don't know for sure what it's like now (because I was there only once, back in the late 1970's), but I get the impression that the main area of the Catskills - the part that used to have Grossinger's resort - is now a ghost town. Here's a picture I just found on Google of their beautiful indoor swimming pool -

View attachment 2929

It's sad because I have read of how vibrant it used to be there - it was THE place to be in the summer. The menfolk would be working during the week in NYC while their wives and children were playing at the resort, then they would take the train or drive up up there on the weekend for some family quality time. Here's an interesting site about the rise and fall of Grossinger's, if that sort of thing is of interest to you.

I agree that having time you do not need can be worse than not having enough time. Emptiness seems to stretch into eternity during those times, and as you said we're probably in the same "zone": sometimes I get the impression I'm in Purgatory, waiting to see what's going to happen.

It is NOT a nice feeling.

The only weapon that I find useful is my perspective. It's all about how I look at the situation. If I whine and moan too much about being stuck here it only seems to make things worse. I don't want to be a Mary Poppins and run around singing and dancing even when I'm blue - that just isn't me - but if I can find a certain level of acceptance of my situation I find that following the Path becomes much easier. It is also convenient for me because I pretty much "live" online now, so it doesn't matter all that much whether there are palm trees or piles of dirty snow outside the window.

Now if only I could get my body online as well as my mind, I think I'd be a winner. :D

This was sad. I read about another such place that was in Pennsylvania, right on a lake called Harvey's? Anyway, I read and read all I could about "those" days and like you said, it was THE place for folks to go that lived in or near Wilkes-Barre, I guess the largest city near the Lake. Remember that movie Dirty Dancing? Those kinds of places must have been wonderful. I doubt my family, or ancestors I never knew, would have been able to afford those kinds of places, but yeah, they don't make them like that anymore:(

Thanks for the link, I was wondering what I might read tonight, now I know:) Denise

This was sad. I read about another such place that was in Pennsylvania, right on a lake called Harvey's? Anyway, I read and read all I could about "those" days and like you said, it was THE place for folks to go that lived in or near Wilkes-Barre, I guess the largest city near the Lake. Remember that movie Dirty Dancing? Those kinds of places must have been wonderful. I doubt my family, or ancestors I never knew, would have been able to afford those kinds of places, but yeah, they don't make them like that anymore:(

Thanks for the link, I was wondering what I might read tonight, now I know:) Denise

I'll be darned - yes, Harvey's Lake. It's the largest natural lake in PA. It started off as a beautiful, clean body of water, but after all the rich folk moved onto its shores and started playing with their power boats, along with the slobs that used to hang out at the public beaches, it's become too dangerous to even swim in. The fishermen? I don't know if they catch-and-release or actually eat what they catch, but my bet would be the former.

They closed the public beaches and cleaned it up a bit, but it will never be the same. They had an amusement park right on its shore, too - Hansen's Amusement Park. It had a lot of rides, games, even a ballroom, and it was one of the two or three parks in the county in which people would let their hair down and have a great time.

Alas, the amusement parks are all gone, the starting price for a shack on the lake is $500,000 and it's pretty much now a private lake for descendents of the Rockefellers.

I did a triathlon many moons ago, when I was still in human form, and it took place entirely in and around the lake. I remember when I came out of the water I felt like I had been swimming through the Exxon Valdez oil spill - I was glistening like a teen vampire! I don't exactly know WHAT it was that was glistening on me, but then again I didn't really want to know - I just wanted to find the nearest hot shower to spend a few hours under.

I'll be darned - yes, Harvey's Lake. It's the largest natural lake in PA. It started off as a beautiful, clean body of water, but after all the rich folk moved onto its shores and started playing with their power boats, along with the slobs that used to hang out at the public beaches, it's become too dangerous to even swim in. The fishermen? I don't know if they catch-and-release or actually eat what they catch, but my bet would be the former.

They closed the public beaches and cleaned it up a bit, but it will never be the same. They had an amusement park right on its shore, too - Hansen's Amusement Park. It had a lot of rides, games, even a ballroom, and it was one of the two or three parks in the county in which people would let their hair down and have a great time.

Alas, the amusement parks are all gone, the starting price for a shack on the lake is $500,000 and it's pretty much now a private lake for descendents of the Rockefellers.

I did a triathlon many moons ago, when I was still in human form, and it took place entirely in and around the lake. I remember when I came out of the water I felt like I had been swimming through the Exxon Valdez oil spill - I was glistening like a teen vampire! I don't exactly know WHAT it was that was glistening on me, but then again I didn't really want to know - I just wanted to find the nearest hot shower to spend a few hours under.

Yes, interesting, but sad stuff. I saw pics of that big Hotel?? Can't think of the name, but it went up in flames.

Was that stuff on you glowing green? :danger:

Read, yesterday, about Puerto Ricans heading back to the island from NY for retirement and discovering it's a big mistake. Very expensive and crowded. Gotta tell my buddy and his wife who are in the exact situation....

Yes, interesting, but sad stuff. I saw pics of that big Hotel?? Can't think of the name, but it went up in flames.

Was that stuff on you glowing green? :danger:

The Hotel Oneonta - it was a beautiful place, or so I've read. Nothing like that up there now.

The stuff on me wasn't glowing green - it just made me slippery, to the point where when my gal-pal tried to give me a hug I shot up into the air like a greased wienie. :D

Read, yesterday, about Puerto Ricans heading back to the island from NY for retirement and discovering it's a big mistake. Very expensive and crowded. Gotta tell my buddy and his wife who are in the exact situation....

That's sad too, they want to go home, I know that feeling as I had left my home-town years ago and just came back in 2006. It's changed, so much. The smaller area I was actually raised in (rural) is much the same thank goodness. The biggest change was mentioned somewhere on here, and that is the drugs, it's heavy here. I wouldn't mind relocating, but haven't a clue where I would move to. One day at a time, same as always:)

I wouldn't mind relocating, but haven't a clue where I would move to.

After the service, in 1970, I came home and was disappointed by the changes that had taken place in the four years I had been gone. Wanted to get out but could never decide on where to go. It's beautifully wonderful here despite the Kalifornication so I stayed. Ain't gonna let them invaders chase me away no how...

After the service, in 1970, I came home and was disappointed by the changes that had taken place in the four years I had been gone. Wanted to get out but could never decide on where to go. It's beautifully wonderful here despite the Kalifornication so I stayed. Ain't gonna let them invaders chase me away no how...

Good for you:) I know I am getting to where the Winters are bothering me more. I want to be outdoors and active as possible, as long as possible. I keep busy in the Summer, walking or kayaking, with an occasional campout thrown in, but Summers are too short now. Not like those long, hot Summers of my childhood (I know they just seemed long:) Denise

It's always summer in Florida.

... except when they have below freezing mornings, or there's a hurricane coming through, or a sink-hole opening up, or ... :eek:

Back