Right Through The Cracks

Those places with the $5000+ a month rent have too many rules. One told me that you can't do any redecorating, even hanging a picture on the wall without getting approval from the management, then it is done by one of their contractors.

Those places with the $5000+ a month rent have too many rules. One told me that you can't do any redecorating, even hanging a picture on the wall without getting approval from the management, then it is done by one of their contractors.
You gotta be kidding me. What is it a five grand a month "prison"? They should be wearing masks - how in the world do they ever get anyone to move in with those kind of rigid rules ?!

That's why at this point I choose to live in a nondescript two bedroom apartment for approx. $700.00/month.

I'm still able to piece together the other amenities offered in most of the senior living facilities on my own for much less than the monthly fee of three to five thousand a month. The only thing missing is the social life that an independent living complex might be able to offer.
Is there a senior center anywhere near you? They offer a lot of activities both during the day and sometimes in the evenings. Lots of opportunities for a social life.

Is there a senior center anywhere near you? They offer a lot of activities both during the day and sometimes in the evenings. Lots of opportunities for a social life.
Seems to me prices are rising from the ridiculous to the "can't believe it" levels in this country for both renters and buyers.

I wouldn't put one more red cent into repairs to a house that needs major work to bring it up to code. The more you post about things that need to be repaired/renovated, the more it sounds like a tear-down that's only worth the land it sits on. It's time to turn loose, Deb...of the stuff and of the house. Chuck it all as-is and move on. Be like Nike and "Just Do It!" Seems like you've analyzed and over-analyzed until you're suffering from analysis paralysis. If it means that you have to move to a location away from what you're used to, then embrace it. Heck, there very well might be a whole new life, a whole new adventure, out there with your name on it.

Worried about running out of money? You're bound to run out of money if you keep pouring money into your house. I understand the attachment, really I do, but it's way past time to detach and start living the rest of your life. You can't turn back the clock.

Seems as if it may just need to go into the trash. My husband had a lot of old family pictures. I first asked his cousin and aunt if they wanted any, and both asked for a few of my husband, but otherwise told me to do what I wanted with them. So, I saved out a few, and threw out the rest. I know some of the "things" and nick knacks will go to the dumpster as well. That is just the way it is.

I have a bunch of old photos that even I can't recognize who the people are in them. It's on my to do list to go through those and find maybe a couple that are of my parents and just toss the rest of them. My family doesn't have very many living members left and no one wants to mess with a mountain of old photos. So out they go.

I wouldn't put one more red cent into repairs to a house that needs major work to bring it up to code. The more you post about things that need to be repaired/renovated, the more it sounds like a tear-down that's only worth the land it sits on. It's time to turn loose, Deb...of the stuff and of the house. Chuck it all as-is and move on. Be like Nike and "Just Do It!" Seems like you've analyzed and over-analyzed until you're suffering from analysis paralysis. If it means that you have to move to a location away from what you're used to, then embrace it. Heck, there very well might be a whole new life, a whole new adventure, out there with your name on it.

Worried about running out of money? You're bound to run out of money if you keep pouring money into your house. I understand the attachment, really I do, but it's way past time to detach and start living the rest of your life. You can't turn back the clock.
Good question, deb, like do you know the value of "just the land" and also of "the land and house in current condition"?

I have a bunch of old photos that even I can't recognize who the people are in them. It's on my to do list to go through those and find maybe a couple that are of my parents and just toss the rest of them. My family doesn't have very many living members left and no one wants to mess with a mountain of old photos. So out they go.
I have the exact same issue. Albums and boxes of old photos. Most of my relatives have passed on now and there's no one left to ask about unknown people in the pics. Also, I am the last member of my immediate family. My father had one brother who never married or had kids. And I am an only child. Who's gonna be interested in these photos after I go?

Ok, gal...perhaps its time to call a real estate agent. They will be able to at least give you a rough idea of the valuation.
Also what does it say on the internet -for your county tax records - what do you pay taxes on? They list the land and home value separately don't they? Also, you can check Zillow...they are sometimes pretty good. Georgia is "spot on" - find that out.

Who's going to want those old photos? Nobody! If you have large photos or portraits...11x14 or larger of old-timey subjects/people, you can probably sell them to a restaurant like Cracker Barrel. Otherwise, trash 'em. Find a real estate appraiser who is certified by a professional organization and pay for an independent appraisal. Sell. Move on. Do this for yourself. Can you honestly say that your parents would not approve of your taking care of you? Do you really think they wouldn't want you to live a stress-free life in your eld? Yanno, like not worrying about/pouring your financial resources into a money pit? Hanging on to stuff that no longer has meaning? Trust me, once you've unloaded all the stuff, including the real estate, you're going to feel positively liberated!

Last edited:
I even contacted the mayor who I know has connections and asked if there were any good tree service contractors locally. The reply was "Paul Bunyan."

I did also contacted my insurance agent. She gave me a name and number and said that he sub-contracts just about any type of work. Come to find out, this guy is the agent's husband, which she never mentioned when we communicated. He's supposed to come over on Saturday to look at what needs to be done. I don't know why this has my alarm bells ringing. Is this a conflict of interest for an insurance agent to get business for relatives?

I even contacted the mayor who I know has connections and asked if there were any good tree service contractors locally. The reply was "Paul Bunyan."

I did also contacted my insurance agent. She gave me a name and number and said that he sub-contracts just about any type of work. Come to find out, this guy is the agent's husband, which she never mentioned when we communicated. He's supposed to come over on Saturday to look at what needs to be done. I don't know why this has my alarm bells ringing. Is this a conflict of interest for an insurance agent to get business for relatives?
Well, I wouldn't think it would be illegal. Agree though, that she should of been up front with you. Its not like you wouldn't have found out anyway. See what kind of price he gives you...be sure to ask him if he's "bonded", in case of accidents. Hey, just thought, if he's married to the insurance agent he probably is ...lol.

I don't think so -- you asked a question and she answered it. It's not like she is coercing someone with a claim to use the services of her husband. What's the harm in recommending him? If somebody asks him about a good insurance agent, I bet he recommends her.

IMO if you are not submitting a claim to an insurance company that she represents it couldn't possibly be a conflict of interest.

The insurance agent's recommendation is better than the one that you got from the mayor so you seem to be making some progress.

Good luck!

When I need a local contractor recommendation that I haven't been able to get from a neighbor, I ask the most prolific local realtor. Good realtors help potential sellers in readying their homes for sale, so they make it their business to know which contractors do what, how well and reasonably they perform, if they're easy to work with, and if they're reliable.

Of course, being able to ask this presupposes that you've developed at least a casually friendly relationship with a local realtor. It also morally obligates you to interview that realtor when you eventually list your home. Or at least it should.

When I need a local contractor recommendation that I haven't been able to get from a neighbor, I ask the most prolific local realtor. Good realtors help potential sellers in readying their homes for sale, so they make it their business to know which contractors do what, how well and reasonably they perform, if they're easy to work with, and if they're reliable.

That's a good suggestion. There is one that I've worked with before on several occasions. Thanks.

Okay, I had a tree guy said he was going to come today between 9:30 ad 10:30 am. It is nor 3:30 pm and he hasn't shown up.
Hear that a lot. We live in an area when they say they will come they usually do come. Can you call him? Its Saturday...maybe he forgot what day it was - thinking it would be Monday when he'd come out?

Back